Balticon 50: May 27-30, 2016, Baltimore, MD: GRRM GOH

Here is the current status of the "Game of Thrones" track of programming. I've changed the panel names to avoid confusion, but if you have "cleverer" names to suggest, please let me know. If you haven't told me what panel(s) you'd like to be on, please e-mail me with your choices. Thanks.

The Board and Card (and other) Games of Thrones (1 hour – Gaming)
There’s a board game, a card game, a video game, an RPG, a MUD, and more. Panelists will tell you about their favorite games set in GRRM’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” universe.
Ashaya (The gaming track head has this one filled out with her other participants, I just don’t have their names)

The GAME OF THRONES (Viewing) Party (2 hours – Sunday 9-11 pm)
If HBO shows a new episode, we’ll watch it together (need HBO feed) and then discuss it afterwards. If not, we’ll just have a party. GoT costumes are welcome, and we could give a prize for the best one. If there’s no new episode, perhaps GRRM would like to provide commentary for one of the episodes he wrote (would need dvd projector).
Maid of Woodlynne

Created religions in SFF (1 hour – Literary)
“A Song of Ice and Fire” has no fewer than six created religions. Other authors usually stick to one. What makes a religion seem “real?” Which created religions seem the most interesting? If you lived on Planetos, which religion would you follow? Why?
GRRM

Gender and sexuality in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
GAME OF THRONES has been both lauded and criticised for its portrayal of women and alternate sexuality. Is it a feminist worldview or exploitive? Is the tv series different from the books in this regard? How do you think it could do better?
Bill

Game of Thrones Costuming Workshop (1 hours – Should be BEFORE the (Viewing) Party -- Costuming)
Make your own Game of Thrones costume for the party, or add details/accessories to an already begun costume.
(Not sure the costuming track head wants to do this)

The Art of Ice and Fire (1 hour – Art -- Should include John Picacio – Will need projector for PowerPoint)
A Song of Ice and Fire has inspired a myriad of visual arts. There are book covers, calendars, art for games, etc. Here’s a quick look at some of them.
(Not sure the art track head wants to do this, or who else we might put on it) John Picacio, ??

A Song of Ice and Fire vs. Game of Thrones (1 hour – Literary/Media)
The HBO series has gone beyond the published books and diverged in many ways from GRRM’s story. We’ll discuss some of the differences, both good and bad, and make (almost certainly incorrect) predictions of what will happen in future episodes and books.
Bill, Perrianne,

The Podcasts of Ice and Fire (1 hour – New Media)
Podcasters from “History of Westeros” and “The Wars and Politics of Ice and Fire” discuss their podcasts and other podcasts related to the works of our GOH.
(I haven’t heard from the head of the “New Media” track, but we can probably do this one even without them) Aziz, Ashaya, BryndenBFish

Parenting in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
There are a lot of parents and children in GAME OF THRONES/A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Who have done the best and worst jobs of parenting? Is there anyone who would win “Father/Mother of the Year” or are they all terrible parents? And who is the absolute worst? Is it Stannis Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, Aerys Targaryan, Catelyn Stark, Roose Bolton, or someone else?
Perrianne

Game of Thrones Discussion Group (no book spoilers)
Our annual discussion (without book spoilers) of the tv series. To be scheduled AFTER this week’s episode viewing party, either Sunday at 11 pm, or Monday morning.
Perrianne (anyone is welcome to attend, but I'm really the only "participant" needed)

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Group (no tv series spoilers)
A discussion of the books, with spoilers from unpublished chapters from THE WINDS OF WINTER, but without spoilers from the tv series.
Perrianne
(anyone is welcome to attend, but I'm really the only "participant" needed)

There's also going to be an ASoIaF trivia quiz with two rounds. The first round will be in the Con Suite on Friday, 10pm-11.30pm and the second round on Saturday, 11pm-midnight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 6:49 AM, Perrianne Lurie said:

Baltimore Magazine jumped the gun a bit. We haven't yet announced all of the returning GOHs. I'm not sure what I'm authorized to say, but there's a good chance that Varley will be there. <G>

According to the Baltimore Magazine article referenced in Perianne's post above, "In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Balticon will also welcome back guests of honor from past years including John Varley, Jody Lynn Nye, Jo Walton, and more."

John Varley announced on April 9th that he would be attending.  http://varley.net/nonfiction/varleylog/balticon-50-2/

There was a delay before his appearance was announced on the Balticon website, but it's there now.  :)

I can't find the official statement about the autographs, but from what I remember from the last committee meeting, there will be two autograph sessions (I think on Saturday and Sunday). You will need a (free) ticket in order to get an autograph, and can only get one ticket (to one of the sessions, not both). The tickets will be available the day before the session at the con. George will sign ONE item for you.

Balticon 50 Alumni GOH News:

We are happy to announce that Peter S. Beagle, fantasy author and special guest at Balticon 40, has agreed to attend Balticon 50 as part of out Bring Them Back Project. Unfortunately, Gene Wolf, Ben Bova, Shelia Finch and Tananarive Due have dropped out of the Bring Them Back Project due to family commitments. (Steven Barnes will attend)  This means we have confirmed John Varley, R. A. MacAvoy, Nancy Springer, Donald Kingsbury, Michael F. Flynn, Allen Steele, Harry Turtledove, Phil & Kaja Foglio, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, Steve Barnes, Peter S. Beagle, Larry Niven, Connie Willis, Charles Stross, Jody Lynn Nye, Joe Haldeman and Jo Walton as participants in the Bring them Back Project. Although we have not fully raised all of the funds needed for the project, we are close enough to believe we will make it (and we needed to buy airline tickets now, so we are using a small line of credit to move forward) and will go for it. Of course, all we need to make it all work out is a few more banquet seats sold and for folks to buy the special edition book. (Or donate a bit more in other ways of course) So send anyone who you believe will be interested in the book and Fire and Ice Banquet with GRRM over to our website.

Parking Deals at Balticon:

We have a huge number of parking deals for Balticon. The daily rate gets down to $7.75 per 24 hours if you buy in advance for at a nearby garage for example. Check out the deals on our parking page at http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/parking-information/  and send the link to your friends. We get email from folks about parking who have never clicked on the parking link on our Balticon webpage where the questions are all answered in detail, so help us spread the word to check it out and save.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to go if House Bannister is there!  I shall represent.

See you next Thursday.  I was hoping to get out earlier but I have a conference to go to Monday/Tuesday.  Should be there from Thursday till the following Tuesday. :)

Although, I don't have a room booked for the Monday night right now.

3 hours ago, Padraig said:

See you next Thursday.  I was hoping to get out earlier but I have a conference to go to Monday/Tuesday.  Should be there from Thursday till the following Tuesday. :)

Fantastic! I'll also be there Thursday-Tuesday. Can't wait :)

7 hours ago, Padraig said:

We'll get in sometime Friday. Leave on Monday.

AB

I'll be there from Thursday night through Monday afternoon. Other attending Bannisterians will include the Maid Of Woodlynne and Lugo.

Many of us will be working the fan table for the 2017 Valley Forge NASFiC bid. Come by and say hello, and consider pre-supporting the bid, too!

I'll be in Baltimore from late Friday morning until 5:45 pm on Monday.  :: waves at Padraig ::

Besides the Valley Forge bid party and the trivia, what is there to do on Friday night?  :)

Do I remember correctly that (sometime over the weekend) there will be a (Worldcon) bid party as well?

Archived