Balticon 50: May 27-30, 2016, Baltimore, MD: GRRM GOH

11 hours ago, Frisco said:

I'm thinking of driving.  Will Baltimore be on fire due to the Freddie Gray verdict?

The Gray family's attorney said the family is satisfied with the verdict. According to a friend that lives in Baltimore no protests have occured. Nero wasn't charged with manslaughter or murder like the other officers and the consensus is he was charged to get him to roll on the other officers. Nero could be subject to administrative penalties if the police department determines he broke any regulations.

Arlington Bill and I are driving and already purchased our parking space for the weekend. We're not worried. Stick to the Inner Harbor if you're worried, my friend suggested WBAL-TV and radio for breaking news.

14 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Party date, time, and location will be posted on the convention's party board. 

You can also stop by our fan table for a chat as we'll have the party info available there as well :D It will most likely be posted to our FB and twitter. 

12 hours ago, Arlingzen Bill said:

Anyone want to do lunch on Friday? Makotohanbi and I should be up sometime between Noon and one.

AB

I'll be setting up the Green Room from noon til whenever it's ready. So lunch is probably out unless you want to go LATE.

Heads up on some last-minute Balticon schedule changes:

1) THE ART OF ICE AND FIRE: The program says this is at 4pm. This is wrong. It's at 6pm Friday in Guilford. How do I know? Because I'm running this event and I won't be in Guilford at 4pm. I'll be setting up my Art Show at that time. THE ART OF ICE AND FIRE starts at 6pm, as previously stated. If you come to Guilford at 4pm, you'll be greeted with an empty room, and perhaps someone doing sock puppet theatre. But it won't be me. Please pass the word if you know anyone who is coming to this event. THE ART OF ICE AND FIRE is at 6pm in Guilford!

2) THE ART OF JOHN PICACIO: Ballroom / MD Salons CD opens for seating at 10:20am Saturday. I'll start the event at 10:30am. The program says my name is "Dr. John Picacio." I have no clue what this is about. Maybe I've earned an honorary doctorate by being Balticon's Artist Guest of Honor? Whatever -- I'll take it.

3) MARTIN & PICACIO CONVERSATION: Ballroom / MD Salon B opens for seating at 4pm Saturday, not 3pm as stated elsewhere. We'll start the event at 4:15pm.

4) GRRM READING: Opens for seating at 3pm Sunday. Event starts at 3:15pm. I have no idea what he's going to read. Maybe WINDS OF WINTER. Maybe something else. I had heard TWoW, but I don't think he's decided yet, according to his blog yesterday. All I know is I feel sorry for any event that would be scheduled head to head with this. Grateful it's not me.

Should be a great weekend. See all of you very soon!

My revised schedule:

On 4/4/2016 at 8:13 AM, Perrianne Lurie said:

Gender and sexuality in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
GAME OF THRONES has been both lauded and criticised for its portrayal of women and alternate sexuality. Is it a feminist worldview or exploitive? Is the tv series different from the books in this regard? How do you think it could do better?
Bill

A Song of Ice and Fire vs. Game of Thrones (1 hour – Literary/Media)
The HBO series has gone beyond the published books and diverged in many ways from GRRM’s story. We’ll discuss some of the differences, both good and bad, and make (almost certainly incorrect) predictions of what will happen in future episodes and books.
Bill, Perrianne,

I didn't see my name for these. Am I doing them Perrianne?

Also the second Item seems to be on the schedule two times. Saturday at 9 pm and Sunday at 7 PM.

One possibility is take metro. There's a shuttle from Dulles to the Wiehle Reston East metro station on the silver line. Take the train to Union Station (change trains at Metro Center) and take a MARC (Penn line) train to BWI then take the light rail to the Convention Center station. Walk 2-3 blocks to hotel.

The shuttle costs around $3.00, my parents take it when they travel and love it.

Keep in mind there's is trackwork being done on the Red line (expect delays) and the silver line might be limited, if that happens get on an orange line train.

6 hours ago, Padraig said:

Didn't think this through.

What's the best way to get from Dulles to the hotel?   Taxi is one option but is there any other way?

You could take the Amtrak train.  http://www.theairportshuttle.com/

Renting a car to drive yourself there might be your cheapest option.  http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dulles-airport-to-baltimore-hotel.cfm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60811-i165-k2558327-Getting_to_Baltimore_from_Dulles_Airport-Baltimore_Maryland.html

7 minutes ago, makotohanabi said:

One possibility is take metro. There's a shuttle from Dulles to the Wiehle Reston East metro station on the silver line. Take the train to Union Station (change trains at Metro Center) and take a MARC (Penn line) train to BWI then take the light rail to the Convention Center station. Walk 2-3 blocks to hotel.

The shuttle costs around $3.00, my parents take it when they travel and love it.

Keep in mind there's is trackwork being done on the Red line (expect delays) and the silver line might be limited, if that happens get on an orange line train.

Wow!  :) This sounds great!

16 minutes ago, Captain Esgred said:

Renting a car will only be the cheap way if you turn the car in as soon as you check into the hotel. Parking in the Balticon area is absurdly expensive. (The con hotel is charging $30/day for regular, and more for valet parking.)

10 hours ago, Perrianne Lurie said:

Beats me. The pocket program is a mess. Check Grenadine (balticon50) for the "real" schedule, which is still a mess. I recommend you check with program ops and get added to whatever you want.

ok. I will when I get in tomorrow.

AB

Archived