Extended Downtime Tomorrow

Westeros

With the latest stable release of the Invision forum software—to version 4.10—we have decided that we can now finally get the forum upgraded. The upgrade will bring many new features, not least of which is a responsive skin design which should allow users on mobile devices to easily use the forum with all the features they’re used to on desktops without having to download separate software (such as Tapatalk).

However, because this is a substantial upgrade, it will require changes to the database in the process. This means that it will very likely take, at minimum, 8 hours to complete the whole process… and given the size of our database, it could be easily twice as long (or, indeed, even longer).

So this Tuesday, at around 9AM GMT/ 5AM EST / 2AM PST, we will shut down the forum to begin the upgrade process. Updates on the process, if and when we can provide them, will be made available via our Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ accounts.

We do not expect to need to take down the wiki or Westeros.org website while the forum is being upgraded, but it is possible that that, too, will be required, so please bear with us.

Visit the Site!

That is a server power issue, unfortunately. It is possible that this version will be more efficient in how it does searches, but it seems unlikely that it will make that much of a difference.

Will this make search options functional? Not trying to be an doucher but the lack of re-accessibility to what I post and who tries to converse with me keeps me from wanting to come back to read the awesome stuff here. (*not being sarcastic, y'all run a great site)

Will this make search options functional? Not trying to be an doucher but the lack of re-accessibility to what I post and who tries to converse with me keeps me from wanting to come back to read the awesome stuff here. (*not being sarcastic, y'all run a great site)

See posts 3 and 4 above...

it seems unlikely that it will make that much of a difference.

See posts 3 and 4 above...

well sh*t. (didn't read back into the thread so apologize for the redundancy). How does one increase "server power"? I go on a lot of movie, sports, etc. boards that are larger in traffic (i.e. footballsfuture, jr) and don't see how there's such a problem here.

I'm just wondering why the current IPB 2015 updates (it looks like here is at least 3-4 versions back) aren't integrated to the board. I understand the power isn't there for some reason but I'd like to think ASOIAF has more fans than the New Orleans Pelicans. (Sorry to be whiny, so most likely won't post again about this type of stuff but it's been really frustrating)

Upgrading a board of this size is no trivial matter if there's database changes done. Our problem, which is the reason search is turned off, is the huge size of our database. We could reduce it by deleting a lot of topics, but that is something we generally want to avoid.

The forum currently resides on a less powerful server than in the past because after the wiki upgrade earlier this year, the more powerful server couldn't handle both the wiki and the forum. So ... yeah, upgrades can cause issues.

Begging your pardon, but when you say "Tuesday", do you mean "Wednesday if you are more east than east-coast USA" or do you mean that you planned to start half an hour ago, and just have not taken the forums offline yet?

We had to revert the upgrade, which meant restoring an older database (there's no other way to downgrade). However, this is a temporary measure. We will run the old board as we try to get support to help us sort out the new board, at which point that database will be restored again and any posts made here since the change-over will be lost.

at which point that database will be restored again and any posts made here since the change-over will be lost.

Can a warning about that be added to the top of every page? Not everyone will be reading this thread, and "anything you post from now on could get deleted at any time" is something everyone really does need to know...

Archived