Survivor: Second Chances

awesome possum

Oh, he's definitely a bit pompous and whiny, after this last episode in particular. I just think those aren't always bad things to have on the show. I prefer to think of it as intense and competitive. <3

First off, this new quote system is weird. Anyone else get a red line and had to click 'insert new paragraph'? Why?

Second, dude, this explains a lot. I thought we were trying to get you to see that he is, in fact, a pompous ass (prior to this last episode). If we're just arguing on a basis of liking/not liking his personality (in the context of the show), then of course that's objective. The way you were wording your arguments I didn't think you even saw what others were seeing.

I didn't/still don't see it as far as the episode two stuff is concerned, but after someone (my mind is blanking I'm shit with usernames I'm sorry) said that they thought the whole thing was contrived for Savage to fit an image I decided I just gotta agree to disagree on that since I see it way differently. But as far as some of the other stuff goes, like his early Stephen confessional or most of his stuff last week, yeah, I totally get where it comes from (just not always the total extent of it); I just enjoy watching him for it. I think my very first comment after the last episode was pre-emptively saying that I totally understood how a lot of people would dislike him there, haha.

So I think maybe we were just hitting the point of reaching that understanding when the board ate everything.

I think people who were already in the head space of 'Savage is a douche' are going to read that story differently. Like you have to reach a tipping point and once you do, nothing a person does is right, even if it didn't bother you before? Out of curiosity, what was your perception of Savage in Pearl Islands?

That's fair. I try to avoid that for some contestants but sometimes my gut doesn't want me to, like I retroactively find Cochran's "vanilla" confessional a liiiittle more irksome after really dislikin him in the post-merge of that season, which I try to shut down but yeah I definitely know that that kind of bias is a thing.

I rank him as my 8th or 9th favorite from Pearl Islands. Looove him in episode six but otherwise I don't really care; I think he's a good narrator and I like him as basically the personification of Morgan and as a prop in the Lill/Outcasts stories, but I don't think he himself was ever too interesting either way, outside of episode six, so basically out of all the people I think added a solid amount to the season, he's the one I care the least about and rank the lowest. Better than Ryan Opray and Nicole Delma; worse than everyone else who's actually interesting, and maybe also Trish Dunn as a total random favorite, they're about neck and neck. And going into this season I had him as one of my few I was least excited to see, because I thought without the more interesting dynamics of Drake vs. Morgan or the Outcast twist, he'd turn out to be a generic bland alpha male and Probst pet.

pre-episode edit with my own personal prediction, not based on spoilers but i'll tag it anyway just because

I have the worrrrrst feeling from that earlier video that Stephen's going to get Savage voted out. And Savage's air time is gradually building and becoming more negative, and it's been too long for Stephen's early idiocy to likely come back to bite him... gah. I really hope that's not how tonight goes but I got a bad feeling it will be. The pieces seem to be there.

pre-episode edit with my own personal prediction, not based on spoilers but i'll tag it anyway just because

Hidden Content

Got the right person, I'll give you that. And does that move tonight really shake things up or what?

It does! Savage was tight with Tasha and Joe, so Joe has one less shield and Tasha might be easier to pry away for someone. I was really afraid that the editing was going towards a Fishbach boot, thank god it wasn't. The episode was a culmination of the Savage v Fishbach deathmatch and I knew it was one of them. Joe was safe, lost immunity or not.

While I was liking the new side we were seeing of Kass, flipping people off is not a good look. Not a good look on Savage, either. Ponderosa's gonna be fun!

And huuuuuge kudos to Wentworth! Playing your idol at the right time is not an easy feat, especially when there are three targets. I wonder if there was more happening that made Kelley more confident of that move?

Keith is tragically underused this season. We need more Keith taxi service. You call, We haul!

While I was liking the new side we were seeing of Kass, flipping people off is not a good look. Not a good look on Savage, either. Ponderosa's gonna be fun!

I don't like Savage but to be fair to him Ciera was taunting him (because her great play made him leave right? lol).  I felt it was a suitable response to her. I absolutely loathe Ciera after this ep.  No self awareness at all.

I do like that the game potentially got changed up but I feel Kelley is just gone the next tribal now.

I don't like Savage but to be fair to him Ciera was taunting him (because her great play made him leave right? lol).  I felt it was a suitable response to her. I absolutely loathe Ciera after this ep.  No self awareness at all.

I do like that the game potentially got changed up but I feel Kelley is just gone the next tribal now.

It was not Ciera that made that comment to Savage, it was Abi Maria. I also took it for Abi speak for I'm sorry about this...Yes, it came across as rude and insensitive, but everything Abi does seems to come off rude and insensitive. 

It was not Ciera that made that comment to Savage, it was Abi Maria. I also took it for Abi speak for I'm sorry about this...Yes, it came across as rude and insensitive, but everything Abi does seems to come off rude and insensitive. 

Fair enough I thought it was Ciera.  But whatever, that wasn't what made me dislike her so much on this episode anyways.

Yeah, it was Abi. Some people go out with grace ... some don't. I think the best moment was Savage's facepalm and muttering 'unbelievable'. That kind of sums it up right there. He just can't believe his honesty and goodness isn't blindingly obvious to people and deserving of reward. It wasn't his fault Abi and Ciera had it out for him ... except it probably was. Ciera for the obvious reason, Abi because he didn't manage her, or realizing that she couldn't be managed, get rid of her. Sure, on Angkor it was too risky, but I feel Tasha did the heavy lifting there so that was the relationship, not he and Abi. He didn't feel out his alliance on Angkor and realize that Abi was dead set on Woo, and even if he did, I can't see him changing his plans to suit others. I think that was his biggest downfall - too inflexible.

I don't disagree about Ciera. She is upset that people don't want to play with her, essentially.

I also agree that Kelley isn't a big player here. She had a big moment playing the idol, kicking Terry under the bus by implying that he found the idol, and playing the idol. Aside from that, they haven't shown her much. Just basically going with the flow and keeping her head down.

Couldn't help from clapping when Savage was booted.  I had a feeling/hope he was a goner when when they were putting extra focus on him being his savage-y self.  I almost feel sorry for Kass for having to spend three days with the dude.  He's got such a violent, disturbing personality.  

I'm still not really sure who I'm rooting for or what team ups I want to see.  Maybe Spencer and Ciera or Fishy and Ciera.  I want to see some chaos Abi come back into play.  I'd like to see some different immunity challenges that do so completely favor that long haired kid.

So, tonight Savage fell victim to the exact same thing he was victim for in his first season 12 years ago. He was dismissive and arrogant with the people on the bottom of the totem pole. In Pearl Islands, it was Lizzy who he completely dismissed. 12 years later, it is a combination of Ciera, Abi Maria, and Wentworth. 

I still think that Wentworth is in trouble. She is surely the target if Joe wins another immunity next week. I think she will probably exit like Malcolm did after playing his idols to get rid of Sheppard. I will miss her if that happens.

This shows have given me incredible highs and lows over the years, but when Jeff read the first vote for Savage tonight I felt like I was in Nirvana. It took me around 5 minutes to settle down from doing my happy dance. 

More thoughts later because I'm tired and have a headache but I'm happy Ciera loathing is widespread here. I thought I was alone in it. I was reaaaally thrilled about the idea of her returning but.. my god. I am so tired of all the things she says and does and I will be amazed if anyone else manages to be my least favorite from this season at the rate she is going.

Yeah, it was Abi. Some people go out with grace ... some don't. I think the best moment was Savage's facepalm and muttering 'unbelievable'. That kind of sums it up right there. He just can't believe his honesty and goodness isn't blindingly obvious to people and deserving of reward. It wasn't his fault Abi and Ciera had it out for him ... except it probably was. Ciera for the obvious reason, Abi because he didn't manage her, or realizing that she couldn't be managed, get rid of her. Sure, on Angkor it was too risky, but I feel Tasha did the heavy lifting there so that was the relationship, not he and Abi. He didn't feel out his alliance on Angkor and realize that Abi was dead set on Woo, and even if he did, I can't see him changing his plans to suit others. I think that was his biggest downfall - too inflexible.

In a way that is all true but in another it is not.  I hate defending Savage but Ciera and Abi having it out for him wasn't what got him out. They had no idea what was happening because Wentworth didn't tell them shit.  He had 8 votes going the way he wanted and he got idol'ed.  There was literally nothing better he could have done this tribal given that Ciera, Wentworth, and Abi were already against him.

Still hate the new forum, still hate it, still hate it...

Anyway, I really dislike Ciera. "Big moves" is a concept I don't think I respect all that much. Some of my favourite winners include Tom, Sophie, Natalie (both Anderson and White), Yul and Sandra. They each played the long game in first, being able to read the people around them and second, appealing to those people to both increase their own longevity and then earning enough votes in the end. The only person I see doing that so far this season is Jeremy. Ciera is playing too hard. What I find most annoying about her is that she talks and talks without end, but without actually saying anything new or particularly groundbreaking. For example, just because people aren't playing with her, doesn't mean they're not playing. Her condescension astounds me. Maybe it was her limited screen time in her first season that made her so appealing. We'll never know. I usually like underdogs and often root for them just coz. In this case, I'm all for the majority alliance.

I'm not particularly sad Andrew is gone. I think he would have made a very dull winner, even though I like him.

GERTRUDE,

I don't think Andrew is too inflexible, and this isn't me just defending me for the sake of doing it. I think he was very easily convinced of taking out one of the girls instead of Stephen. He didn't throw a tantrum last week as well when his proposed option wasn't what the group wanted, he just rolled his eyes to the camera, which I think is an ordinary reaction.

As I was typing this, the text window kept dancing at me. So very disorienting. I absolutely hate this new forum.

There was literally nothing better he could have done this tribal given that Ciera, Wentworth, and Abi were already against him.

That's my point. No, there was nothing he could do this tribal. He had plenty of chances to build relationships, or at least pretend to, with Abi and Ciera back on Angkor.

And I stand by Savage being inflexible. Not in the sense of switching alliances or going with the flow. He is inflexible in the way he sees the world. His world revolves around him and only people like him (honest, non-wimpy leaders, etc.) Yes, I'm putting it strongly, but it's the general point I want to make, He said it himself - he usually gets his way. That makes it hard for him to empathize or try to see another point of view and work the game that way.

Yes, that's what you get for being so self-righteous. This was one of my favorite moments ever! I hope Kass and Savage are having fun together in Ponderosa.

That being said, I just realized that Joe hasn't survived any Tribal Councils yet, I think as soon as he loses, he's gone. And I hope so, because he really has no strategic game.

Archived