Dolorous Edd will be 999th LC of the NW

LC Dolorous

I am more than convinced that our beloved Edd will be elected to be the 999th LC of the Nights Watch that's needed so a ressurected Jon can take his place as the 1000th Lord Commander.

As the stabbing of Jon happens during the castle being busy and with a screaming giant around, I think that a mutiny will follow the stabbing of the lord commander with the Pro-Jon side emerging as clear and quick winners, with the help of the wildlings. After tides have calmed down, the brothers will have lost their faith in their brotherhood though. With a sort of "screw it" mentality they decide that the NW has to be kept alive, what with all the undead aproaching, but that their ancient and honourable ways are no longer suited for times such as these and that adaptions have to be made, if only because there have never been a few thousands wildlings to be included into planning in the centuries before.

Either in secret or in the common way, an election for a new commander will be held, for certain protocol has to be kept, but knowing that this new LC of the post-mutany NW will not have powers or command in the classic way the brothers refuse this farce and only a single vote will be given in - the same single vote we have during Jons election.

And indeed, Edd is more than just the right man for this task, may it be just a placeholder for the return of Jon or not. It is tradition that the steward of the Lord Commander is more than a mere cupbearer and changer of the nightpot, but rather an able lad who is about the be shaped for command in the vicinity of the LC. And never have the fires been warmer as when Edd was Jons steward, as Jon could testify once Satin took over.

Also, with so many good men dieing/going missing over the last years, and with another bunch taken out during the mutiny, Edd is after all one of the more seasoned brothers the NW still has. Add to that that he already has experience in commanding over at Long Barrow with its spearwives, and you really would have to take a closer look to find someone more able to pick up command in the current NW.

Edit: Another solid proof are the words of his house, credits to another user I stumbled upon when reading Edd quotes in another thread. House Tolletts words are "When all is darkest" - if this isn't foreshadowing I really do not know what is.

Anyway, I also prospect that this "no-Jon-vacuum" will not last very long as he will come back and bring this to and end, still - hooray for Edd!

OMG - I am laughing so hard - about when all is darkest - and then SHARYA STARK'S "toilet" - I never noticed that! Then putting it all together, it is a powerful argument! That Martin is a comedian!

I'm all for this just to read more of Edd talking.

This is the big problem. This would mean that we need a POV at the Wall in TWoW. What's the point of Edd as LC if we don't get to hear Edd being LC?

Maybe Theon could end up there by the end of the book? Theon talking to Tormund could also be quite entertaining on its own...

This is the big problem. This would mean that we need a POV at the Wall in TWoW. What's the point of Edd as LC if we don't get to hear Edd being LC?

Maybe Theon could end up there by the end of the book? Theon talking to Tormund could also be quite entertaining on its own...

Melisandra will save us! GRRM said no new POVs, well Mel had one so if Jon is dead/in ghost we still have good ole Mel.

A lot of theories get floated on this forum, but this is one of my favorites in a long time! Seven little paragraphs and it is every bit as likely as most of the wall-of-text, colour-coded two-thousand word chapters that get proposed here every week.

I'm excited at the prospect of Ed Tollett becoming the 999th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch!

In the books, no, as there are too many other people more willing. Hell, post Jon's stabbing I can see Satin basically taking a Octavian role and revenging Caesar (Snow). He was more or less being set up by Jon to be his future replacement.

That said, in the GoT show, I strongly believe Edd will become Lord Commander. The Edd in the show is essentially a merger of book Edd and Satin(a loyal lieutenant, but with a flavor of melancholy ). I believe the , "the wall is yours," moment from Season 4 was a foreshadowing moment of this.

In the books, no, as there are too many other people more willing. Hell, post Jon's stabbing I can see Satin basically taking a Octavian role and revenging Caesar (Snow). He was more or less being set up by Jon to be his future replacement.

That said, in the GoT show, I strongly believe Edd will become Lord Commander. The Edd in the show is essentially a merger of book Edd and Satin(a loyal lieutenant, but with a flavor of melancholy ). I believe the , "the wall is yours," moment from Season 4 was a foreshadowing moment of this.

I believe you can't take anything from the show as foreshadowing for the books anymore. The reasons for FTW are completly different in both stories... As for show LC I believe it will be Alliser Thorne, he still is there for a reason and by far the most fleshed out charater that far north.

For Book LC I am totally ok with Edd, but we need another POV at the wall to fully enjoy him as a figure of authority, best would be his POV as his new steward

Archived