Would Jon have harmed his hostages

Brute of Bracken

Jon Snow lets Tormund Giantsbane and his Wildlings through the Wall towards the end of ADWD. To ensure peace, Jon laid out certain conditions before the Wildlings crossed.

“I insisted upon hostages.” I am not the trusting fool you take me for … nor am I half wildling, no matter what you believe. “One hundred boys between the ages of eight and sixteen. A son from each of their chiefs and captains, the rest chosen by lot. The boys will serve as pages and squires, freeing our own men for other duties. Some may choose to take the black one day. Queerer things have happened. The rest will stand hostage for the loyalty of their sires.”

The northmen glanced at one another. “Hostages,” mused The Norrey. “Tormund has agreed to this?”

It was that, or watch his people die. “My blood price, he called it,” said Jon Snow, “but he will pay."

He takes hostages to try and ensure that the Wildlings cause no trouble. The question is, do you think he would have harmed the hostages had something happened?

I think he wouldn't have. He had earlier refused to execute an old man captured by the Wildlings, even if it meant risking his own life and the possibility of not warning Castle Black of a Wildling attack, and despite the fact that the old man would have probably been killed anyway. Would he choose to harm innocent children? I don't think so.

What do you think?

I think he wouldn't have. He had earlier refused to execute an old man captured by the Wildlings, even if it meant risking his own life and the possibility of not warning Castle Black of a Wildling attack, and despite the fact that the old man would have probably been killed anyway. Would he choose to harm innocent children? I don't think so.

If Jon truly wants to lead, he can't be the kid who spared Ygritte and the old man. And I think he understands that.

If he'd let the hostages live, not only would he lose his hold over the Wildlings, he'd lose their respect--and he'd deserve to. The only thing that justifies taking the hostages is believing that it's necessary and being willing to do what's necessary.

That's what "kill the boy and let the man be born" is all about.

I don't believe so, but there are worse things than being a page or squire. They could be thrown into prison, Jon could refuse to release them back to their families, etc. If anything Jon would harm the dissenters and try to use the child as a sort of puppet leader. Whether that would work or not, I don't know, but I can't see Jon harming innocent children.

If Jon truly wants to lead, he can't be the kid who spared Ygritte and the old man. And I think he understands that.

If he'd let the hostages live, not only would he lose his hold over the Wildlings, he'd lose their respect--and he'd deserve to. The only thing that justifies taking the hostages is believing that it's necessary and being willing to do what's necessary.

That's what "kill the boy and let the man be born" is all about.

When he was defending CB he was shooting arrows at any of the free folk. I think he would have killed Ygritte, and he thought he might have. In the aftermath he was happy he hadn't but I think he had already hardened his heart that he might have.

I think he would have done what he thought was right, just like The Ned, and frankly Stannis. He wouldn't have liked it and it would have torn him up, but he would have done it, and done it himself.

But he was so against the idea of killing an innocent he put his own life (and everyone at CB) in danger. I don't think he would kill the children. Just my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion, but Jon knew he was really a NW and knew that killing that old man was against everything he was about.  He understood that Halfhand expected to die and that was why he killed him.  The hostages are a different matter.  The free folk are equably honorable and I don't think they would judge him as harshly as you expect them to.  Life seems a little "cheaper" north of the wall.  If he didn't kill a hostage, they would definitely see weakness and not respect him.

LC Jon is a very different person from Ygritte banging ASOS Jon.

That's true. But, child-killing seems to a threshold that decent characters won't step over.

I'd say Dany is a harder person than Jon, and she can't bring herself to do it. Ned won't do it, nor Arianne.

OTOH, Cersei, Jon Con, the Sand Snakes are prepared to step over that threshold.

Archived