Rollback and Future Upgrade

Ran

As most of you no doubt have noticed, our attempt at upgrading the board from IPB 3 to IPB 4 did not go well. Because IPB 4 is a complete rewrite, with significant database changes, it needs to rebuild all the content. This process (and possibly other configuration issues) made the site very slow.

As a result, we have reverted to IPB 3 for the time being. This means that any posts made while IPB 4 was active on the 15th of July have been lost for now. However, and this is crucial, we will keep working on getting IPB 4 to run on a test site and when it runs smoothly, we will once again switch from IPB 3 to IPB 4. The improvements it offers in a host of areas -- provided that the performance improvement promises come through -- just do not make it sensible to stick with the outdated IPB3 as a permanent solution.

This means that anything done (posts, member registrations, etc) on the IPB 3 site from now and until we switch again will be lost. There's simply no way that we can preserve that content when the time comes to have the upgrade go live again.  It's not an ideal situation, but this is a necessary upgrade and a step we have to take now as opposed to during any more traffic-heavy periods.

We will absolutely make sure that people are aware of the fact when we are readying to go back to IPS4, and will even try and get the search system up and running so people can find the content they posted from now until that time so they can save any key posts they have made.

Keep an eye on Announcements for future updates.

I consider this forum my "therapy" which has provided me years of not having a stroke over work-related stress, lol, so I appreciate all the hard work and effort put into this project. :bowdown:

Edited by Alia of the knife

Is it possible to change display names on IPB 4? I looked around during the brief time the forum was functional, and couldn't find it. I'd hate to be trapped as Sranc and Sensibility forever.

I am not entirely sure, because they have merged usernames and displaynames. I will take a look at the test install.

Found it: It is now under Account Settings > Display Name.

Edited by Linda

Will we still be able to use the desktop (or full site) version on mobile devices. I couldn't find that option the little while it was up... and mobile sites are universally non-user-friendly and difficult to use.

Appreciate all the work you guys do! :)

Too bad the update didn't work as hoped. That must have been really frustrating for all who worked on making the upgrade possible. 

I was wondering, is there any indication that you can give as to when you expect to make the change back to IPB4? Are a few weeks more likely? Or months?

Emmit,

The new skin has no separate mobile skin, its a responsive design that is supposed to work equally well on any screen size.

As for when we might try IPB 4 again, we unfortunately do not know at all at this point. There are several remaining issues with the database that we have to solve with the help of IPB's support and it is going ... slowly.

As for when we might try IPB 4 again, we unfortunately do not know at all at this point. There are several remaining issues with the database that we have to solve with the help of IPB's support and it is going ... slowly.

I suppose that's very frustrating for you all. I hope their support will be able to help you, and will come swiftly.

To keep things positive, that you mention 'remaining issues' suggests to me that several issues have already been fixed :) That sounds good. :)

.As for when we might try IPB 4 again, we unfortunately do not know at all at this point. There are several remaining issues with the database that we have to solve with the help of IPB's support and it is going ... slowly.

Thank you for the news and your efforts. Does it means there will be a new snapshot of the current IPB 3 database, and the current posts will be saved? Or IPB 4 will start again with the database state of July 14th?

I just wanted to pile on the "thanks a lot for everything you do, Elio and Linda" bandwagon here. Loved TWOAIF, love the site and forum, don't know what life would be like without them. You guys make George's life easier so he can write more by helping with things like TWOIAF, which we all appreciate as well.   :cheers:

I'm sure you'll get the software sorted out sooner or later... everyone knows software and computers are as basically unreliable and mysterious as waking dragons from stone. It'll work right eventually, but god only knows how much bloodshed it will require. ;)

Edited by Lucifer means Lightbringer

Thank you for the news and your efforts. Does it means there will be a new snapshot of the current IPB 3 database, and the current posts will be saved? Or IPB 4 will start again with the database state of July 14th?

Unfortunately it will roll back to the 14th of July database because one of the problematic tasks is a mySQL rebuild of all tables, which just for the millions of posts took several days.

Thank you, guys, for all the hard work! :cheers:

I'm going to say something that may be very dumb as it's completely outside of my métier, but I use the full site 'version' on my tablet. So I don't understand comments about it becoming possible after the upgrade? :dunce:

Thank you, guys, for all the hard work! :cheers:

I'm going to say something that may be very dumb as it's completely outside of my métier, but I use the full site 'version' on my tablet. So I don't understand comments about it becoming possible after the upgrade? :dunce:

This current version of the board has a skin which won't work very well on small screens because it stays exactly the same. It works fine on tablets, generally, at least other than the smaller models. The new board will have a skin that changes automatically with screen size to work better on smaller sizes than the default.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update: as we're not going to be able to try to upgrade until later in August, all posts between now and that point in time will be included in the upgrade database -- we'll take a fresh backup of the forum as it stands then, and use that to perform the upgrade on on a separate server.

When we do that backup, there will be a roughly one week period in which posts here will not carry over to the new server, but we'll announce when that happens.

TL;DR: Don't worry, all posts up to now and into mid-August will not disappear when we upgrade.