House Whent's allegiance during Robert's Rebellion

LordDireStark

I don't know if this has been discussed before,so here it goes.

Who did the Whent's back during the rebellion? Harrenhal is pretty much the starting point

for the rebellion. But there's no mention of the Whent's loyalty's.They had ties to the Tully's

even though they didn't seem that strong but they were still their leige lords.Then they had

ties to the crown with Oswell.So who did they side with? If they sided with the crown,

why didn't Robert strip them of their lands and titles after the war? If Lord Whent had four

sons why was there no mention of any of them fighting for either side?

Aren't there no men left in the family line, which is why Shella (who was Walter's wife and his cousin) ended up in charge of Harrenhal, and few retainers, which is why she pled with Tywin that she couldn't defend her castle from Robb?

That implies that they probably did fight in the war (probably on the Tully side, but we have no way of knowing for certain).

I imagine family > honor.
Robert didn't strip many houses of their demesnes. The Connington's were the exception. Look at Grafton, Tyrell, Corbray etc.

Regarding the sons, weren't they all dead at this point?

Connington was exiled, stripped of his lands, wealth and titles by Aerys due to his failure at the Battle of the Bells.

And Robert took most of them from his cousin, who inherited everything

Robert restored some of the lands, but not all, and not all the wealth either.

Aren't there no men left in the family line, which is why Shella (who was Walter's wife and his cousin) ended up in charge of Harrenhal, and few retainers, which is why she pled with Tywin that she couldn't defend her castle from Robb?

That implies that they probably did fight in the war (probably on the Tully side, but we have no way of knowing for certain).

Lord Walter survived the war. His sons were all dead by 298 AC, but we have no clue as to when they died. They could have died during Robert's Rebellion, they could have died during the Greyjoy Rebellion, they could have died at any other point during Robert's reign.

I imagine family > honor.
Robert didn't strip many houses of their demesnes. The Connington's were the exception. Look at Grafton, Tyrell, Corbray etc.

Regarding the sons, weren't they all dead at this point?

Griffin's Roost went to the cadet branch of Connington, did it not? Also, Ser Oswell was Kingsguard, bound by a very strong and signifigant oath. Went family married into Tulley and that is where the bloodline is / was.

Oswell Whent was a member of the Kings Guard but we are never told his family supported the Targs.And we are told Harrenhall is a large lordship with some of the most fertile lands in the region(and a massive amount of land also) yet none of the lands were taken from the Whents so clearly they picked the Tully side

As Lord Walter seems to have been involved in whatever Rhaegar tried to accomplish with the Harrenhal Tourney (if Rhaegar was indeed the source for the money), I'd say that the Whents have a good chance of having been Targaryen loyalists.

In addition, we know nothing of Robert taking anything from the Whents, if I recall it correctly. Nor do we learn anything about them being allowed to keep their lands. The Darry's fought for Aerys, yet they were allowed to keep all. Why wouldn't the Whents have been allowed to keep what they still had, despite having fought for Aerys?

As Lord Walter seems to have been involved in whatever Rhaegar tried to accomplish with the Harrenhal Tourney (if Rhaegar was indeed the source for the money), I'd say that the Whents have a good chance of having been Targaryen loyalists.

In addition, we know nothing of Robert taking anything from the Whents, if I recall it correctly. Nor do we learn anything about them being allowed to keep their lands. The Darry's fought for Aerys, yet they were allowed to keep all. Why wouldn't the Whents have been allowed to keep what they still had, despite having fought for Aerys?

Pretty sure Darry lost lands

Jorah Mormont defeated Lord Whent at the tourney celebrating the victory over the Greyjoys. So the Whents were still lords 6 years into Robert's reign so it doesn't seem like Robert had any ill will to them after the Rebellion. Hoster also was married to a Whent so House Whent would have been in a bad position to oppose Hoster calling his banners.

Jorah Mormont defeated Lord Whent at the tourney celebrating the victory over the Greyjoys. So the Whents were still lords 6 years into Robert's reign so it doesn't seem like Robert had any ill will to them after the Rebellion. Hoster also was married to a Whent so House Whent would have been in a bad position to oppose Hoster calling his banners.

Hoster Tully put loyalist lords in the Riverlands to sword. As stated the Whents being a direct marriage to him, puts them in a position where they really can't declare against him and the KG oath actually makes Oswell an independent body from their family, beholden to the king. Jorah may have face Walter Whent but I think it more likely that he faced one of his sons.

Pretty sure Darry lost lands

Really? I can't recall.
still, there were plenty of loyalists who did not lose anything. And who is to say that the Whents didn't lose wealth? Or a bit of land? Nowhere is anything stated about either scenario, so we can't really say.

Hoster Tully put loyalist lords in the Riverlands to sword. As stated the Whents being a direct marriage to him, puts them in a position where they really can't declare against him and the KG oath actually makes Oswell an independent body from their family, beholden to the king. Jorah may have face Walter Whent but I think it more likely that he faced one of his sons.

He faced 'Old Lord Whent', so unless Walters sons were quite old at the tourney of Harrenhal, that doesn't fit.

House Whent seems to have lost a lot of people in the war. Besides Oswell, four sons died presumably during the war. If House Whent had been a house trying to keep a foot in each camp this level of mortality would not seem natural for a house. Even if they had been waiting on the fence, and only joining the war late to support his liege lord but unconvincedly, so many deaths would be strange.

I think it's likelier that they joined the Targaryes early on, hoping that Hoster would join them. After all, they had been favored by the Targaryens by naming one of theirs in the KG, and Minisa Whent had been dead for a decade when the war began.

It also makes some sense geographically: the lords of the Riverlands that joined the Targaryens are the southernmost: Mooton, Smallwood, Goodbrook, Darry,... Whent would fit in there.

Archived