Netflix's new drama: 'Narcos' (starring Oberyn Martell + Capitão Nascimento)

AncalagonTheBlack

I need to find out, if Chris Brancato wrote it, then who translated it? Chris won't be writing the second season as he has departed for ABC. I hope this doesn't adversely affect the quality of the writing.

Check IMDB for the writers of each ep.  There's a credit for "dialog editor."  What I imagine is that editor oversaw a team -- or maybe a single translator or only two -- for the subtitles.  But who did write the Spanish?  In terms of the credits for script supervisor, there are two or three Spanish names . . . .

surely they use multiple writers?

Check IMDB for the writers of each ep.  There's a credit for "dialog editor."  What I imagine is that editor oversaw a team -- or maybe a single translator or only two -- for the subtitles.  But who did write the Spanish?  In terms of the credits for script supervisor, there are two or three Spanish names . . . .

Brancato has the title of writer although there are other writers on individual episodes. I would love to know what the process was: Spanish first? English first? Netflix has done a series completely in Spanish. This might be the first one in Spanish with English subtitles. I can't find who did what anywhere. Pah!

Given the superiority of the Spanish writing (I'm taking your word for it, I sure as hell don't speak it) along with the quirks of subtitles I'm pretty sure it was written in Spanish and translated - it seems much more likely that the nuance of the usage of the swearing was lost with simplistic swearing rather than that it was written with just that one word used all the time and the translated term happens to have the potential for that range of nuance anyway in Spanish.

Like one of the earlier posters I completely forgot I wasn't able to understand what I was hearing as the subtitle reading just became seamless, but I watch a fair bit of stuff in Japanese and various Scandi so I'm comfortable with subtitles.

• 2 months later...

Golden Globes nominations are out today and Narcos was nominated in the Best Television Series Drama category. Also, Wagner Moura was nominated in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series Drama category.  Jon Hamm will probably win this category but I am very glad that Wagner was nominated and that Narcos was noticed by the Foreign Press.

• 6 months later...

"Narcos" was so good I went out and watched the 70+ episodes of "Pablo Patron Del Mal" it was very entertaining and i'm still looking forward to the 2nd season of "Narcos". So yeah there are people that will watch multiple adaptions of these narco war type series. No different than all the mob genre type shows where there are dozens of shows and even more movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It only went up today, the first day of this holiday weekend, and though people get Monday off, they mostly didn't get today off.

Maybe people have other things to do, on this long weekend which is Labor Day weekend, the last official weekend of the summer.  Also big storm clobbering the southern end of the Atlantic coast currently, while moving north, clobbering all the way, may have interfered with binge watching.  

What I like most about this show is that there are no pure heroes, you easily see both sides as the monsters they are/become. The motto for the whole series appears to be  "lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Finished.

Less of a documentary feel overall this season which I honestly can't decide if I liked more or less. Both are awesome imo but they have different vibes.

Thought this season lost a little bit of pace in eps 7-9 but I still enjoyed those eps, really liked the confrontation between Escobar and his Dad. Moura was just brilliant throughout, did a great job of humanizing Escobar (as best he could). 

Although the Cali Cartel isn't near as interesting as Pablo/Medellin I'm still all up for the inevitable s3 they set up.

It's a great series, it does illustrate the failings of the Western Worlds stance on drugs though, Cocaine was and continues to be hugely popular yet instead of legalising and taxing it and making revenue and removing the criminal element, they'd rather let it continue the way it is, an illicit black market which has let violent criminals become super rich, then spend billions and waste countless lives in combating said super rich criminals.

Pretty awesome season. I was leery about continuing on past this season, but I'm interested enough to give it a try. I wonder what more kind of chicanery CIA Bill will get up to.

Spoiler

Really dumb about grandma and church though. No excuse for that silliness, especially given the overall quality of this show.

Archived