Netflix's new drama: 'Narcos' (starring Oberyn Martell + Capitão Nascimento)

AncalagonTheBlack

• 2 weeks later...

The only significant instance where I thought they were too positive on Escobar was that final or next-to-final episode where he was wandering his city, eating ice cream and talking with the ghost of his dead friend. Seemed like they were trying to drum up sympathy or at least regret for how things had turned out, and overall it felt a bit weird.

10 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

The only significant instance where I thought they were too positive on Escobar was that final or next-to-final episode where he was wandering his city, eating ice cream and talking with the ghost of his dead friend. Seemed like they were trying to drum up sympathy or at least regret for how things had turned out, and overall it felt a bit weird.

Wasn't it his cousin?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 3 episodes into the new season and really enjoying it. I'm enjoying the cat and mouse a bit more this season than in the previous two. I had tempered expectations with the loss of Pablo and focus on Cali this season, but it's been just as, if not more, intriguing and entertaining. However, not a huge fan of the new DEA agents.

I'm 3 episodes into the new season and really enjoying it. I'm enjoying the cat and mouse a bit more this season than in the previous two. I had tempered expectations with the loss of Pablo and focus on Cali this season, but it's been just as, if not more, intriguing and entertaining. However, not a huge fan of the new DEA agents

Hahah, yeah the new DEA agents are dweebs, but it doesn't really matter in the end. Great season all around. I'm 9 eps in. The Cali cartel is quite entertaining. Looks like season 4 could be the Juarez Cartel?

The voice overs are much less annoying without agent Murphy reading them.

Who the hell is Matias Varela? I hadn't heard of him, but he really steals the show as Jorge Salcedo this season.

7 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

.Who the hell is Matias Varela? I hadn't heard of him, but he really steals the show as Jorge Salcedo this season.

He's a Swedish actor whose biggest international roles are probably in Assassin's Creed, the Point Break remake and the Swedish Easy Money movies.

I'm done. It was good, definitely on par with the earlier seasons. I knew nothing about the Cali Cartel as opposed to Pablo Escobar, where I knew a little bit, so that made it very interesting.

Spoiler

Although it did start feeling a bit formulaic and follows the same "rythm" as the first two seasons with cartel success, case breakthroughs, reversals and dead witnesses.

Matias Varela was great and so was Jorge's whole storyline.

I'm looking forward to the Mexican Cartels.

I may have enjoyed this season more than one and two due to the tighter pace and plotting. Also, not knowing much about the Cali cartel, this story was new to me, unlike Pablo's. There were some great moments of tension, loved the cat and mouse.

I enjoyed the season much more than I thought I would. I actually thought they could have stretched the storyline out longer (but not sure about a full 2 seasons) if they had given more screen time to Pacho and Chepe whose characters I really enjoyed. I still miss Murphy as the narrator but Pena held up well. I also continue to really like the format where they intersperse clips and video of actual events between scenes -- particularly about the Colombian government, President and the succeeding events. Really puts another light on the farce that is the War on Drugs.

Jorge's storyline carried the 2nd half of the season and he was probably my favorite character in the whole season. 

Spoiler

The number one thing for me about the latter part of the season was wondering if Jorge, his family or some combination would be killed by the end. His fate was the most tense part of the show.

Enjoyed S3, there was no dropoff from the excellent first 2 seasons for me.

I thought the actors for the Pacho and Jorge characters gave real strong performances and another solid season from our man aka Red Viper.

Cant think of any big criticism right off, wish the season couldve been more episodes.

eta: Another great character was David Rodriguez the son/nephew of the Rodriguez brothers (Dons).

Also I think I read that the guy who played Pacho, this was his first major role.

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Enjoyed S3, there was no dropoff from the excellent first 2 seasons for me.

I thought the actors for the Pacho and Jorge characters gave real strong performances and another solid season from our man aka Red Viper.

Cant think of any big criticism right off, wish the season couldve been more episodes.

eta: Another great character was David Rodriguez the son/nephew of the Rodriguez brothers (Dons).

Also I think I read that the guy who played Pacho, this was his first major role.

I agree with you -- at least as far as I've gotten.  Watched the 5th episode last night.

My only real criticism so far is that this is the early - mid 1990's and the women's clothes are too contemporary for 2017 (David Simon always gets this stuff wrong too -- though, perhaps with The Deuce, in which women wear little or nothing, this won't be a problem?).

And Pena's pants are sometimes soooooooooooo tight one wonders how he can move?  O wait -- lycra!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is not surprising, actually.  But it's horrible, for so many reasons.

The very idea of shooting in that state seems, on the face of it, an irresponsible decision -- or idea.  Particularly since the earthquake, which made lawless conditions even worse.

I'm going to Mexico next month and, I will admit, nervous, though I won't be there -- just a short stop in Mexico City, then on to Veracruz - Xalapa.  It's work, otherwise I wouldn't be going anywhere in Mexico right now, if I had my druthers.  Honestly, I'd rather go to Colombia.

OTOH, watching Narcos season 3, I nearly suffocated from fear of what was going to happen to some of the characters.  I'd stop watching and not go back for days sometimes.  It was beyond tense watching.

Archived