Netflix's new drama: 'Narcos' (starring Oberyn Martell + Capitão Nascimento)

AncalagonTheBlack

While good, it's not as rich as the Spanish dialogue. Regarding the bad words, Puta is used as an adjective. It can be used like effing or mother effing, but also as God damned. Give me the God damned gun. Dame la puta pistola. Plus marica is used as an all-encompassing male insult. It can be used in lieu of asshole. It also means the horrible homophobic word, but here they use it as mostly asshole. Again, the Spanish dialogue is gold.

Here I think is my main complaint about the translation, not so much in the words themselves as in the tone. Marica, along with maricone, is translated throughout the show as "fag", giving the dialogue an almost jocular, bro-culture tone. Those words should have been translated as "asshole" and "faggot" in order to capture the actual angry, and often hateful, tone of the script and the actors delivering the lines. Not that it was a deal breaker for me, it just seemed a bit weird hearing the lines delivered while reading the text which didn't really capture the tone.

Here I think is my main complaint about the translation, not so much in the words themselves as in the tone. Marica, along with maricone, is translated throughout the show as "fag", giving the dialogue an almost jocular, bro-culture tone. Those words should have been translated as "asshole" and "faggot" in order to capture the actual angry, and often hateful, tone of the script and the actors delivering the lines. Not that it was a deal breaker for me, it just seemed a bit weird hearing the lines delivered while reading the text which didn't really capture the tone.

I agree. The translation is too literal at times. This show is better in Spanish than English. This is amazing to me.

Just finished, pretty good overall, even if it had some problems. This is specially important to show or remind people that Escobar wasn't a gangster- he was a full blown terrorist, and not the Al Capone of his time, but the Bin Laden (indeed, the gangsters from Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire, including Capone, look like small-time crooks in comparison) which is something many didn't know or forgot.

[spoiler] count me in with those who think they probably should have just wrapped up Escobar this season, season 2 will prob be half Escobar half Cali Cartel which will still be awesome [/spoiler]

It there were more episodes in the season perhaps. But at 10 it would be too little time.

I dunno. I think hero-identification was in full swing with 

[spoiler] Colonel Carillo.

[/spoiler]

He's portrayed as being very murderous himself, and [spoiler] innocents are killed due to his actions[/spoiler] The closest thing to a full blown hero is [spoiler] Lara [/spoiler] but he's not a saint either.

Just finished, pretty good overall, even if it had some problems. This is specially important to show or remind people that Escobar wasn't a gangster- he was a full blown terrorist, and not the Al Capone of his time, but the Bin Laden (indeed, the gangsters from Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire, including Capone, look like small-time crooks in comparison) which is something many didn't know or forgot.

It there were more episodes in the season perhaps. But at 10 it would be too little time.

He's portrayed as being very murderous himself, and [spoiler] innocents are killed due to his actions[/spoiler] The closest thing to a full blown hero is [spoiler] Lara [/spoiler] but he's not a saint either.

I don't know that it matters that he's murderous though. It wasn't about who fit the most rigorous moral definition of a hero, but who would look like the "good guy" in comparison to Escobar. 

In that sense he probably escapes the sort of anti-hero depths of people in the The Shield -because of how extreme the situation is, comparatively- and could be the hero of his own 24-style story, if he'd been the center of attention during those horrible scenes.

I've seen the first 6 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's not amazing yet but the pacing and quality is very consistent. I don't mind the voice over as I think it does convey a lot in a short space of time and I'd rather it was a voice-over than characters spitting out exposition.

The cinematography is beautiful - NEtflix really take advantage of the HD format.

I'm pleased others pointed out that "fag" was being used to translate several different spanish insults as I was thinking it overused. I guess there're enough americans who speak both english and spanish to be able to enjoy the show on both levels.

I am three episodes in, and this is already one of the best TV biography that I have ever seen. I understand that a lot of this was made up to tell a story, yet it is still extremely powerful. As others have stated, I do not really feel the need to binge watch this though. I am watching an episode a day to let it sink in. Netflix is rapidly catching up with HBO.

The revue posted on page one, is pretty spot on. It is great, but I only watch one or 2 at a time. I have seen parts of both Hunting for Pablo, and Killing Pablo over the years. This is kind of half drama, half history docomentry. I like how they have added in real pictures and clips w/ what they shot.

I would complain that the should have either done it all in English or Spainish ( I don't mind subtitles, if a show/movie is good) because half the time, the translation is either going way to fast to read, or to slow to see what is going on. My spainish is basically limilted to knowing how to cuss somebody out, and a few other things you learn from working in a kitchen w/ mostly 1st gen mexican/amercains. Even I noticed how what is said, and what it is showing said aren't the same things.

That being said, this is a very ingaging story.

Just finished it.

[spoiler] I enjoyed it, half the stuff Pablo did such as building his own prison is the kind of thing that if put in a fictional story would be called absurd and unrealistic. 

Given the speed at which they went through the years its surprising to end when he's only got a year and a bit to live. I think I would have preffered it if it was a 12 or 13 episode series ending in Pablo's death. Though I suppose that last year and a bit was a pretty eventful time and the second series could have him die at the 6 episode mark or something and have the rest be about the Cali Cartel.

I was also reading that apparently Gacha grenaded himself after seeing his son killed, which is a rather cinematic way to go wonder why they changed it [/spoiler]

Just finished it.

[spoiler] I enjoyed it, half the stuff Pablo did such as building his own prison is the kind of thing that if put in a fictional story would be called absurd and unrealistic. 

Given the speed at which they went through the years its surprising to end when he's only got a year and a bit to live. I think I would have preffered it if it was a 12 or 13 episode series ending in Pablo's death. Though I suppose that last year and a bit was a pretty eventful time and the second series could have him die at the 6 episode mark or something and have the rest be about the Cali Cartel.

I was also reading that apparently Gacha grenaded himself after seeing his son killed, which is a rather cinematic way to go wonder why they changed it [/spoiler]

Perhaps they changed it to

[spoiler] Emphasize the bloodthirstiness of Pena's allies? If he failed because Gacha blew himself up...no harm no foul. If the cops shot him for zero reason it makes their mentality a bit more clear.[/spoiler]

Just finished it.

[spoiler] The same can also be said about how many Search Bloc cops died in the first couple weeks, Pablo and his crew destroyed them those first 2 weeks, surprising they didn't put that in there. [/spoiler] 

That.....was amazing.

Binged watched it all in 2 days. And i agree with the comment about not showing anybody as the true "hero", they all did pretty horrible things even if it was in their mind, the right thing to do. 

Just overall a fantastic show.

Agreed , and also just finished binge watching all 10 episodes in 2 days as well. Looking forward to another season of this.

Binged watched it in 2 days. Amazing show. Amazing how Holbrook looks like Steve Murphy (whom he plays) with the thinning blond hair, pale skin and bland facial features... Not as likable as the guy who plays Marco Polo (where the same concept of white guy gives entry in the world of non white characters).

Pedro Pascal was amazing.

Wagner Moura is an amazing actor: he plays Pablo as so likable and affable, yet this merely serves to enhance his evil.

I agree. The translation is too literal at times. This show is better in Spanish than English. This is amazing to me.

It only dawned on me around the 8th or 9th episode I was even reading captions for some of the Spanish. As for earlier comments about it being a mixed dialogue with both the English and Spanish used in the script, it worked seamlessly for me and seemed extraordinarily realistic and "in the moments". The delivery and tone carried the dialogue. I didn't get hung up on transliteration , which soon into the show, I forgot i was reading anyways. It's a little hard to explain I guess , but for the actors and writers to deliver this to me and make me even forget it was in two languages was above and beyond the usual fare.

On a sidenote- has anyone noticed some of the previews/press about a Depp project coming up thats going to feature the story around Barry Seal? That's going to be very interesting as well. We'll probably be able to see the Seal movie in between the 1st and 2nd season of this "Narcos" series.

Archived