Golf: The Majors and the minors too

Fragile Bird

I watched the up and down, the birdie on 14, the eagle on 15, Justin's birdie on 16....and then I had to go out to Sunday night dinner at my friends' house, so I missed the 17th drama and the 18th. The playoff! But now I have PVR'd the replay and I can watch it tomorrow.

I have had, as mentioned above, a soft spot for Sergio for many many years. I watched his first time at the Masters, when he finished 2nd. This has been a long, long time coming! I definitely have a tear in my eyes for Sergio, especially with it being Seve's 60th birthday today.

Justin played great, no taking that away from him. But he has a major win, he has the Olympic gold, he's been happily married for 11 years even!!! And now Sergio finally has his major win, and he's getting married later this year. Honestly, I am so happy for him, genuinely happy for him. :)

Am watching the post round interview now....

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

I guess Sergio had the 4th most major tournament starts without a win.  No longer.  Man, you could see how overjoyed he was.

I don't follow golf closely, but when it's a major tournament that's down-to-the-wire on Sunday that's when it's really fun.  Today was great.

Actually, Sergio had the most major tournament starts without a win, 74. Tom Kite played in 72 majors before winning the PGA in 1992. Mark O'Meara played in 59 majors, 15 Masters, before finally winning the Masters in 1998. Darren Clarke played in 54 majors before winning the British Open in 2011,

Between them, Justin Rose and Garcia have played in 126 majors, and now have 2 wins between them.

I meant to post this story a few days ago. A guy found a Master's green jacket back in 1994 in a Toronto thrift shop. Recognizing it, he bought it for $5.00. The jacket, circa 1950s, had had the name of the owner cut out. He sold the jacket to a Canadian journalist, who later sold it for "good money" to a journalist in the UK. Apparently folks had been asking him to put it up for sale for years, and it finally went to auction on Saturday, the day before the final round. Several Master's jackets had previously sold at auction for about $20,000. This one went for $139,000.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/golf/masters-style-green-jacket-bought-for-5-at-toronto-thrift-shop-sells-for-139000/article34650970/

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, Hereward said:

In a world where Bubba Watson exists, I cannot comprehend this post.

Watson never spit in the cup after missing a putt.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The US Open's been pretty good so far. Some cracking golf played yesterday.

I kept meaning to find this thread, thanks for posting!

I don't know what's happened to the coverage, did Fox outbid the other networks? I am really getting annoyed by the sportscasters. The voices are just wrong, one, because they're unfamilier, and two, because half the time they sound like...like...I dunno...cowboys.

If that fucker says 'you could put a glass of water' on the guy hitting the shot one more time, my tv set may be in danger.

I said yesterday that if I never hear the word fescue again it will be too soon. They won't shut up about it! Also, those are totally fake bird sounds. Didn't CBS get flak for doing that at the Masters a few years ago?

Some very good golf going on here. Watching this new generation of golfers is pretty exciting.

Once again, Rickie Fowler will not win a major.

Somebody should tell him those grotesque orange pants have cursed him.

Incredible game by Brooks Koepka. I feel for Harmon. Of course, if Koepka has a disaster on the 18th...

I see I can't be the only person who sneered at this broadcast team. The last time I saw them they had actually put jackets on. Previously in their group shots they looked like tourists pulled out of the crowd and handed mikes. The jackets were almost a mistake, mismatched and ill fitting, not really hiding their golf shirts. So very unprofessional, just the look the PGA must want for a premier event.

On top of that, many of their camera shots were hideous. Right now I'm watching the shot of Koepka walking on the fairway, and the close-up shot makes him look like a floating head. Most of the time the cameraman was clueless as to how to follow the ball, the camera often searching for it on the green. And their overhead shots have been just as ugly. Their long shots have been too far away and their close shots have been too close.

One assumes they'll get better with time, of course, but it was a shitty introduction.

• 1 month later...

Oh my, I'm two years older than Mark O'Meara and look a hell of a lot better. I think. :P

On the other hand, two days of 18 holes of golf, especially that first day, would've killed me. :lol: Kudos for that comeback on day 2, within a whisker of breaking par, which only a handful of people did.

What a great round of golf!

I'm torn between cheering for Spieth and for Kuchar. Spieth has years ahead of him, but 3 majors before age 24! Whereas Kuchar is getting to that age where only the great ones, or the lucky ones, win. That luck could be due to weather, or hitting a hot streak at the right time, or someone else having bad luck.

And wow, Austin Connelly! Canada looks like it will have a new hero to cheer for! I hope he has a great day tomorrow, and doesn't let the pressure get to him.

Yeah but speith rubs people like me the wrong way and kuch is great but a little boring. I will admit that Speiths recovery from that drive and the holes that followed were pretty epic but I just cant seem to like the guy

Archived