Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

The Conservative party seems dead set on making itself as unpalatable to the mainstream as possible.   I guess that they are imitating the Republican party in that way also. Neither has any understanding of demographics.

I mean they ultimately didn't make a reality TV star businessman their candidate for PM so they're not entirely following the Republicans. Just mostly.

11 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean they ultimately didn't make a reality TV star businessman their candidate for PM so their not entirely following the Republicans. Just mostly.

Give it some time. JT only became a reality TV star after he became PM. He's soooo dreamy, am I right ladies???

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean they ultimately didn't make a reality TV star businessman their candidate for PM so they're not entirely following the Republicans. Just mostly.

Polls indicate he would have won the leadership had he not dropped out.

Fortunately for Canadians everywhere, O'Leary also had the good sense that Trump lacked, he realized he was unfit for the job and dropped out.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Alberta will forget to send it's equalization payment to Ottawa this year.  And forever after.  No other Province comes close to funding Canada - Ontario with 3x the population  is among the Provinces that has taken over 200 billion dollars in the last 15 years from Alberta, and given absolutely nothing back.  Going to be interesting to see what JT and Ottawa does next year when there is no $ from Alberta thanks to the energy sector plummeting and 10s, no 100s of thousands of Albertans having lost their jobs since the price of oil fell.

The more people I talk to from Alberta, SK, and MN, the more talk I hear about wanting to leave Canada - or at least Ottawa.  It's frightening frankly, I never thought in my lifetime I would hear so much talk about it, even after Meech Lake/Quebec and the referendums.  If that ever brews up again, along with Western Canadians pushing for the same, Canada could be in big trouble.  It's already heading for huge fiscal trouble with that 20 billion a year that Ottawa falsely thinks it's still going to be getting from Alberta not going into the coffers any longer.

Alberta oil was sold above the world price to Ontario from the time of discovery till the price of oil rose above the cost of production around the late 60's.  A inconvenient fact Albertan's tend to ignore. With the price of oil collapsing and Ontario switching to alternate energy sources, I would not be happy living in a one industry province also.

No province sends equalization payments to any other; those transfers come exclusively from the federal government. I challenge you to provide evidence that there has been a net transfer of $200 billion over 15 years from Alberta to Ontario. 

Anyway, Alberta is no stranger to an oil bust. See the mid-1980s. That wasn't the federal government's fault either. Here in NL we're not trying to blame the Eastern (Central/Upper Canadian) Bastards for Danny Williams' overspending and Muskrat Falls vanity project/boondoggle. And we pay at least 20 cents more per litre for gas and have a 15% HST than in Alberta, despite being a net oil producer (and a lower cost one than those oil sands). 

Otherwise the malls and hipster restaurants of Calgary still seem pretty packed, even the Cineplex at the Chinook Mall on a Thursday evening. 

19 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Hopefully Alberta will forget to send it's equalization payment to Ottawa this year.  And forever after.  No other Province comes close to funding Canada - Ontario with 3x the population  is among the Provinces that has taken over 200 billion dollars in the last 15 years from Alberta, and given absolutely nothing back.  Going to be interesting to see what JT and Ottawa does next year when there is no $ from Alberta thanks to the energy sector plummeting and 10s, no 100s of thousands of Albertans having lost their jobs since the price of oil fell.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that without whatever part of the 18 billion in equalization payment Alberta pays everything will just collapse. 200 Billion over 15 years? Unless you think that equalization payments have been much much higher that math really does not work.

You know what's going be interesting? If you'll be bitching about equalization if Alberta becomes one of the receivers.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:40 PM, TrueMetis said:

So apparently the worst thing ever is Trudeau accidentally forgetting to include Alberta in his list of the provinces and territories. So by that metric things are going pretty damn good.

Nah, that's not the worst thing, the worst thing is him scrapping electoral reforms due to every other party supporting proportional while he was in favour of ranked. (Despite stating during his campaign that he'd be open to both)

I still haven't forgiven him for that, and am pretty much guaranteed not to vote for him next elections now.

Keystone XL was pretty bad too.

3 hours ago, Sullen said:

Nah, that's not the worst thing, the worst thing is him scrapping electoral reforms due to every other party supporting proportional while he was in favour of ranked. (Despite stating during his campaign that he'd be open to both)

I still haven't forgiven him for that, and am pretty much guaranteed not to vote for him next elections now.

Actually I think the worst thing was his blaming the opposition parties a week or two ago for the failure of electoral reform. Ranked ballots make sense when you're electing a mayor or a president or some other singular national office, but there's a reason they're rare in parliamentary systems. 

15 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Actually I think the worst thing was his blaming the opposition parties a week or two ago for the failure of electoral reform. Ranked ballots make sense when you're electing a mayor or a president or some other singular national office, but there's a reason they're rare in parliamentary systems. 

It's pretty baffling when you consider that pretty much every other party agreed proportional, or at least, having a referendum on proportional, would be the way to go.

Extremely dirty and disingenuous of Trudeau, and honestly, the good PR he has here and abroad is infuriating. 

• 1 month later...

All this free-speech protection talk in the US thread had me looking up hate-monger Ernst Zundel to use as example but alas, my childhood memories forgot the Supreme Court over-ruled his conviction. He died a week ago, and no tears were shed. May he rot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/world/europe/ernst-zundel-canada-germany-holocaust-denial.html

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

All this free-speech protection talk in the US thread had me looking up hate-monger Ernst Zundel to use as example but alas, my childhood memories forgot the Supreme Court over-ruled his conviction. He died a week ago, and no tears were shed. May he rot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/world/europe/ernst-zundel-canada-germany-holocaust-denial.html

He did get deported back your Germany and did serve time for Holocaust denial.  I remember that little shit too. Good riddance.

• 2 months later...

Our new Governor General raises a storm by saying she finds it hard to accept that people still are in denial about climate change and that some people still manage to believe in creationism. I am one of those people who mistakenly believed that the dinosaurs went extinct. Somehow they keep coming back.

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

Our new Governor General raises a storm by saying she finds it hard to accept that people still are in denial about climate change and that some people still manage to believe in creationism. I am one of those people who mistakenly believed that the dinosaurs went extinct. Somehow they keep coming back.

In fairness, the office of Governor-General is kind of a dinosaur. :P

(Spoken from a fellow Commonwealth citizen!)

13 hours ago, maarsen said:

Oh yeah that was fun, people screaming "the GG needs to be apolitical" if the shit she talked about (at a science convention) is political than everything is political.

Archived