Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

Who wants to be depressed?

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/local-news/2015/08/25/research-centre-reports-latest-to-be-destroyed/

The Harper Government:
Literally Book Burners

Yes, I've seen stories like this. They are doing it everywhere in the government, destroying paper copies of all kinds of records.

Yes, I've seen stories like this. They are doing it everywhere in the government, destroying paper copies of all kinds of records.

This is what made me into an anti-Harper zealot. Right from when he started attacking science and scientists. That and putting Stockwell Day into cabinet. 

Apparently the man never actually worked as an economist. 5 years ago, I was predicting a drop in oil prices after the Globe and Mail did a series of articles outlining the new technology of fracking and the massive reserves the US had in shale oil. I just had economics 101 to go on also.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/urinating-tory-candidate-dropped-official-campaigns-rumble-life-144718248.html
And just when you thought politics in Canada was boring along comes this candidate.

I thought that was hilarious! They said all candidates get vetted, but it doesn't seem like anyone even searched his name. I assume the episode on Marketplace would have popped up if they had.

And the fun doesn't end, the Cons had to boot another candidate for nastiness on the Internet. Looks like the guy was an actor and did adult theme videos on You Tube, but also bad-mouthed people with handicaps. Don't know if that was some kind of comedy routine in bad taste or genuine stupidity. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-tim-dutaud-conservative-candidate-unicaller-1.3218162

I thought that was hilarious! They said all candidates get vetted, but it doesn't seem like anyone even searched his name. I assume the episode on Marketplace would have popped up if they had.

And the fun doesn't end, the Cons had to boot another candidate for nastiness on the Internet. Looks like the guy was an actor and did adult theme videos on You Tube, but also bad-mouthed people with handicaps. Don't know if that was some kind of comedy routine in bad taste or genuine stupidity. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-tim-dutaud-conservative-candidate-unicaller-1.3218162

FB, the worst part for me was this guy was on a hidden camera for a reason, and then they catch him urinating in the home owner's cup. I imagine he was suspected of padding his charges, and then to see him doing what he did. Gaaah! I will bet anything this was not his first time.  One day I'll tell you a rather long story about a similar incident.

I think the Marketplace program was just casting a net wide for anyone who swam into it, because from long experience they know the service industry is full of idiots, whether it's related to car repairs, home renovations, dry cleaning or whatever. And man oh man he sure swam into it. And yes, I would suspect he did that before, he was too quick and adept at doing it. A couple of years ago I had work done and there was trash in the ceiling, coffee cups, like the stupid fuckers who originally put up the drywall were too lazy to toss their empty cup into one of the many garbage bags they had around.

I think the Marketplace program was just casting a net wide for anyone who swam into it, because from long experience they know the service industry is full of idiots, whether it's related to car repairs, home renovations, dry cleaning or whatever. And man oh man he sure swam into it. And yes, I would suspect he did that before, he was too quick and adept at doing it. A couple of years ago I had work done and there was trash in the ceiling, coffee cups, like the stupid fuckers who originally put up the drywall were too lazy to toss their empty cup into one of the many garbage bags they had around.

I work in a hospital that was recently renovated and the construction workers stuck all their garbage down into the drains. Guess what happens when the toilets are flushed for the first time?

Judging by all the commentators in the papers over the last few days, the Conservative election campaign bus seems to have lost it's traction. Bodies are being thrown under to try and get some grip.

The riding breakdown on threehundredeight.com is fascinating.  How's your riding doing?  I'm going to have to strategically vote for the Liberals in Brampton North, in an anyone but Harper motivation.  I want the NDP to win, but it's going to have to do it without most of Ontario though.  Brampton has five ridings, three are locked up for the Libs, two are too close for comfort with the Cons, with one actually currently showing 50% likely Con right now, but it's been mostly Lib for the majority of the campaign and I expect it to go Lib in the final vote.

My riding was solidly Conservative in the run up to the provincial election. Then a Liberal ends up winning. Considering the boundaries are the same for both elections, there may be a change on Oct 19th.

The riding breakdown on threehundredeight.com is fascinating.  How's your riding doing?  I'm going to have to strategically vote for the Liberals in Brampton North, in an anyone but Harper motivation.  I want the NDP to win, but it's going to have to do it without most of Ontario though.  Brampton has five ridings, three are locked up for the Libs, two are too close for comfort with the Cons, with one actually currently showing 50% likely Con right now, but it's been mostly Lib for the majority of the campaign and I expect it to go Lib in the final vote.

My riding's leaning Liberal, but like you I want the NDP to win. Not sure if I'll vote Liberal to make sure the Cons don't win or if I'll go for the NDP.

It's important to remember that individual riding projections are really tricky in Canada because of the lack of polling. Alot are extrapolations based on larger provincial or national trends that are then fudged by individual riding performance in previous elections.

Still though, if it's not looking close I'd go with whoever the not-conservative is. Less Harper is way more important then anything else.

I would be very cautious about threehundredeight.com's individual riding projections. They are rough extrapolations based on past results, but probably are less accurate than the local gestalt you can get from a particular riding. It doesn't take into account incumbency, demographic information, or much of anything else. The national seat projections might be better as they're presented with considerable error bounds, but I'd still be cautious. The polls themselves are showing contradictory information.

It's important to remember that individual riding projections are really tricky in Canada because of the lack of polling. Alot are extrapolations based on larger provincial or national trends that are then fudged by individual riding performance in previous elections.

Still though, if it's not looking close I'd go with whoever the not-conservative is. Less Harper is way more important then anything else.

I agree, I am super bias (the NDP candidate is a friend, college and mentor) The NDP is alot stronger in my riding then the poll numbers show

My riding is most likely to go Liberal and I like that because that's how I'm voting.  I'm hoping for  a Liberal majority but would be satisfied with a Liberal minority government. 

What worries me most is that Harper might get back in.  I have to have faith that Canadians will not let that happen again.

My riding had a Con who stated at least a year ago that she was not returning, leaving the spot wide open. It's interesting how the parties reacted to the open seat. The Liberals recruited a long time city councillor, who quickly resigned his position to become the Liberal nominee. The Cons selected an unknown to replace their outgoing MP, and the Greens and NDP basically just filled a spot with a name on a ballot. The NDP even selected a provincially unpopular MLA from the provincially unpopular Manitoba NDP. So it's looking like the only party actually trying to get the vote here are the Liberals. I refuse to vote for the Liberals, mostly due to their support for Bill C-51, and I can't bring myself to vote for the NDP's choice for my riding (I loathe the Manitoba provincial NDP), so it looks like my vote is going Green this time. Not that it matters, as none of the parties particularly care about fighting for any Manitoba votes. There's too much focus on seat rich areas like southern Ontario for any party to make much of an effort over here in Manitoba, where there's likely only about 5 seats up for grabs.

Archived