Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

(to quote Ran):

"The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the season. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if he normal rules of the forum do not apply. Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand -- this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about season details or events that posters disliked."

Home!

:cheers: Cheb!

Can someone explain to me how is it possible that people (apologists) don't really see the difference between Jeyne and Sansa getting the Bride of Ramsay treatment?

Do they genuinely don't see it?

Thanks for the new thread, I was getting withdrawal symptoms ;). 

Home!

Can someone explain to me how is it possible that people (apologists) don't really see the difference between Jeyne and Sansa getting the Bride of Ramsay treatment?

I really don't know how people can't see the difference here, it just reeks of major apologism more than anything else.

Home!

Well Ramsay is the protagonist no? So long as he marries someone it's all good right? I mean no need to like get all nitpicky over the details  <_<  

Well Ramsay is the protagonist no? So long as he marries someone it's all good right? I mean no need to like get all nitpicky over the details  <_<  

That's true, Ramsay and his 20 Good Men have always been a major part of the story. Sansa is just a minor character in his storyline.

I know what you're saying, all three of you. :)

And while it does feel like Fansa is interchangeable female unit # 7 n the show, my main problem at this point is people who genuinely seem to think it doesn't matter at all when in reality, it matters so very much. After all, besides killing two very major arcs in one fell swoop, it creates this stupid Ramsay plot.

I know what you're saying, all three of you. :)

And while it does feel like Fansa is interchangeable female unit # 7 n the show, my main problem at this point is people who genuinely seem to think it doesn't matter at all when in reality, it matters so very much. After all, besides killing two very major arcs in one fell swoop, it creates this stupid Ramsay plot.

It's probably people who think that the only important thing is the violence and boobs and that the characters don't matter at all. 

What other story can Batfinger inappropriately tell?

Maybe more Rhaegar and Lyanna, and maybe at some point, the dramatic irony that it's LF who is the kidnapper/would be rapist (and really, rapist, because he sells women to men who do) will become apparent. That was missed amongst all the Sansa has choices and LF is a Stark avenger nonsense.

Also, I posted this article on the last thread but I like the way he addresses the "but that's the way it was" argument - you have to actually critique that, not just show it straight up:

... In other words, these shows depict women who are treated like disposable objects and ethnic or racial "others" who wantonly destroy life because that's the way it was. But historical accuracy and fear of anachronism are not good excuses for representing racial and sexual politics in the way that Game of Thrones does. Deadwood began its run with some similarly shocking occurrences of sexual violence and racial caricature. But that show also offered blistering and uncomfortable critiques of the culture that enabled and encouraged those acts, and it offered layered portraits of women and ethnic and racial minorities who survived and resisted that dismal age.

There's no evidence of such critique so far in Game of Thrones. Every act of brutality, every assaulted woman, every exoticized barbarian is presented for the delectation of the audience. No prostitute appears on screen without her bosom already exposed, no transgressive sex act occurs without the frame of luxuriant tapestries or the glow of moonlight upon it. This show's historical misogyny and racism are purely aesthetic, and that's a problem we should hope this series works out on the double...

Co-creator David Benioff, before making his way to television, wrote the screenplay for Wolfgang Peterson's Troy... Benioff produced a barebones version of The Iliad built of its least interesting parts. The same lowest-common-denominator adaptation theory seems to animate Benioff and Weiss's Game of Thrones. The show, for instance, does not in any way attempt to import the narrative innovation that defines Martin's book series... Game of Thrones has been incessantly called "ambitious" in its press materials, and, in terms of its obscene budget, it is. But the narrative structure of the series is not at all as ambitious as its price tag may suggest. Benioff and Weiss have chosen the easiest way to tell this story, and the show suffers from it.

Following from that stunning close-up that opens the show, Game of Thrones does its best work in the close-up mode... It follows, then, that, if Game of Thrones can find its place in the personal (in the power, corruption, and integrity to be found in individual souls), then it can transcend the ugly social and historical dynamics that it so casually relies on and reproduces.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/review/game-of-thrones-season-one

Glad this is back.  To those who continue you engage with 'show apologists' for the sake of debate or attempting to find consensus, you are better people than I.

I imagine those who see Sansa and Jeyne as interchangable are also good with the checklist style of narrative that characterizes the 5th season to well.  The concept she is interchangable because Ramsey is the protag of the Winterfell arc is creepy because it feels so true. 

I want to know why everyone seems to be fine with Tyrion being a kinslayer and why they think that would make him even more trustworthy? In fact, his kinslaying ways have made him so well loved he's appointed regent of Mereene in Dany's absence because he's such a swell guy.

I want to know why everyone seems to be fine with Tyrion being a kinslayer and why they think that would make him even more trustworthy? In fact, his kinslaying ways have made him so well loved he's appointed regent of Mereene in Dany's absence because he's such a swell guy.

It's either that everyone has forgotten that Tyrion is a kinslayer or that he's so saintly that it doesn't matter.

Yay they opened this! 

It's either that everyone has forgotten that Tyrion is a kinslayer or that he's so saintly that it doesn't matter.

The show made sure to remind us of it this season though. And like, it's even weirder because he kinslayed over Tywin...sleeping with Shae? His dad slept with the woman he loved so that was supposed to be reasonable motivation?

Yay they opened this! 

The show made sure to remind us of it this season though. And like, it's even weirder because he kinslayed over Tywin...sleeping with Shae? His dad slept with the woman he loved so that was supposed to be reasonable motivation?

Maybe Tyrion was mad his allowance got cut to pay for Shae? He was going to use that money! ...to pay for Shae himself... 

Yeah, plenty of whitewashing to go around: St Tyrion, Jon the Victim, Arya being subjected to a sadistic paedo.

Then Dany, forever the damsel in distress and Empowered Fansa in Winterhell.

All the main characters, cpmpletely butchered.

I was wondering - I can't remember, which is a blessing - but did they show Bran skinchanging into Hodor?
I'm just trying to figure out what they'll do to him come next year...

Yay they opened this! 

But... but... it *is* his proper and just motivation! Poor guy, he's sooooooooooooooo good and compassionate and intelligent! And yet, no one loves him, NO ONE! And the only woman he ever loved betrays him, and with his father, no less. And I say 'only woman he ever loved' because the showrunners clearly forgot about that not Tysha story he tells Shae and Bronn back in s 1.

Archived