"Why are you so angry?" Anita Sarkeesian, Gamergate, Sad Puppies, and online harassment

Howdyphillip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ&list=PLJA_jUddXvY62dhVThbeegLPpvQlR4CjF&index=1

I have recently been led to these series of Youtube videos that attempt to delve into the issues that led into the online ugliness of death threats and harassment of feminists. This is a six part video series that I believe do a very credible job of explaining the history and dichotomy of it, as well as offering solutions in how to be part of the process of stopping recurrences of it. It is produced well and I find myself in overwhelming support of the creators viewpoints and solutions.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ&list=PLJA_jUddXvY62dhVThbeegLPpvQlR4CjF&index=1

I have recently been led to these series of Youtube videos that attempt to delve into the issues that led into the online ugliness of death threats and harassment of feminists. This is a six part video series that I believe do a very credible job of explaining the history and dichotomy of it, as well as offering solutions in how to be part of the process of stopping recurrences of it. It is produced well and I find myself in overwhelming support of the creators viewpoints and solutions.   

While happy to sit back and watch social justice warriors vs nu atheist shitfest and grab popcorn, the youtube videos seem just the usual personalized special pleading. There's no interest in debate, just 'these people are evil and wrong and literally the worst ever' and 'we're completely blameless and lovely people'. Boring, tedious horseshit from easily the worse people on the internet.

Resentment is the key. The sad puppies and like minded people resent the fact that they are ignored by the great mass of humanity. They have an unreal perception of themselves and cannot believe that others can't see that in them.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/a-history-of-violence-1.2994267

Check out this link.

Resentment is the key. The sad puppies and like minded people resent the fact that they are ignored by the great mass of humanity. They have an unreal perception of themselves and cannot believe that others can't see that in them.

Oh I think that applies to both sides, the great mass of humanity have no fucking interest on the obsessions of a minority of (mainly white) privileged Americans. Gamergate is full of assholes, but their asshattery is not something I care much about given the utterly vile people it;s aimed at. The whole thing is enormously entertaining and funny as fuck.

"Social Justice Warriors" remains on of the most stupid insult phrases ever coined.

I have been fighting for justice, social and otherwise, for most of my life. I wear the badge proudly.

Hayyoth,

Yes, you are obviously complementing people when you call them "Social Justice Warriors".

I don't have a dog in this fight, I think both groups are as batshit cra cra  as the other. On the one hand we have man children who think that video games are really really really important (and not time wasting diversions for children) and on the other frightbats who think manspreading on the NY subway system is an evil scourge of global significance. How can you not find the spectacle of these two groups slapping each other around anything but hilarious?

I don't have a dog in this fight, I think both groups are as batshit cra cra  as the other. On the one hand we have man children who think that video games are really really really important (and not time wasting diversions for children) and on the other frightbats who think manspreading on the NY subway system is an evil scourge of global significance. How can you not find the spectacle of these two groups slapping each other around anything but hilarious?

a bit of a defect in the aristotelian ethos here when the former group has been reduced down to its intrinsic quality but a mere incidental to the latter is tendered as the parallel intrinsic.

Yes, it's utterly astonishing that you think feminists are the most vile people on the planet. The Puppies were mentioned in the OP and they are mostly all American red blooded Christian conservatives, I notice you just ignore them and focus on the Gators though.

:rofl: at using the term frightbat. You might want to check the idiocy that spawned that one.

We've had this discussion a few times and I hold out little hope that anything useful will come of it before the thread is locked, again. That said: If you can look at the abuse and death threats and harassment received by people like Anita Sarkeesian, irrespective of your opinions of her work -- certainly it is not immune to criticism --- and see anything but a festering cesspool of shit in the Gamergate movement whence it comes, I don't want to know you. If you are speaking off the cuff and have not familiarized yourself with their "movement," then I strongly recommend that you shut the fuck up about it until you've caught up. There are months and months of history here.

Stuff like Sad Puppies is just, well, kind of sad. I'm not aware of organized harassment on that front, although I suspect there's a certain amount of overlap between the two groups.

We've had this discussion a few times and I hold out little hope that anything useful will come of it before the thread is locked, again. That said: If you can look at the abuse and death threats and harassment received by people like Anita Sarkeesian, irrespective of your opinions of her work -- certainly it is not immune to criticism --- and see anything but a festering cesspool of shit in the Gamergate movement whence it comes, I don't want to know you. If you are speaking off the cuff and have not familiarized yourself with their "movement," then I strongly recommend that you shut the fuck up about it until you've caught up. There are months and months of history here.

You misunderstand, Ini. Hayyoth the Truly Independent Thinker thinks Gamergaters are pathetic too (because of his puerile view of video games). He just thinks Anita Sarkeesian is an awful person, "utterly vile" in his words, apparently, for -- making feminist critiques of video games, I guess? Probably feminazis will come up at some point. Thus he can retreat into the "pox on both their houses" shortcut while maintaining his self-regard as a Truly Independent Thinker.

The phrase 'slapping around' is sadly ironic here. Not only was Anita subject to many death threats (which apperently is hilarious?) she was also quite literally put in a 'game' where gaters can slap her to death with a click of the mouse.

I can't stand the ''I'm so above everyone else'' people I had some guy who claimed to hate both feminists and MRAs call me a self righteous cunt and an obnoxious, insecure bitch yesterday because I suggested his comment about wishing women harm wasn't progressive and that he didn't know what a metaphor was when he incorrectly called his dumb as shit comment a 'metaphorical concept....''

You misunderstand, Ini. Hayyoth the Truly Independent Thinker thinks Gamergaters are pathetic too (because of his puerile view of view games). He just thinks Anita Sarkeesian is an awful person, "utterly vile" in his words, apparently, for -- making feminist critiques of video games, I guess? Probably feminazis will come up at some point. Thus he can retreat into the "pox on both their houses" shortcut while maintaining his self-regard as a Truly Independent Thinker.

Independent thinker? Moi? I'm a straight down the line Roman Catholic conservative, I'm as far removed from independent thought as you'll find in the western hemisphere. Interestingly, and as Scot brought it up, the term social justice was a phrase coined by the Roman Catholic Church to describe virtuous behavior in post agrarian societies, it's meaning has changed somewhat obviously, which is why it's frustrating and utterly pointless discussing it as it's become such a moveable feast, from unreformed Marxists to petit bourgeois moralists everyone seems to carry their own concepts around with them.

As for Anita, I'm sure she's a perfectly wonderful person.

Archived