Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

I wasn't even being facetious. He's taking 3-4 years per book so far, so let's be generous and say it'll be 3 years per book from now on. So that's:

2017: Book 3

2020: Book 4

2023: Book 5

After that he's writing the Mistborn II trilogy. Assuming they'll be shorter (around the length of the first trilogy) and coming out 18 months apart.

2025: Mistborn II-1

2026: Mistborn II-2

2028: Mistborn II-3

Then Stormlight resumes:

2031: Book 6

2034: Book 7

2037: Book 8

2040: Book 9

2043: Book 10

I'll be curious to see if he can still write a 600-700 page novel, since he hasn't done that since before TWoK.  So far all three Stormlight books have ended up a lot longer than Sanderson expected.  I love these books but I hope he can get back to that 600-700 page length for the next Mistborn trilogy and Elantris and Warbreaker sequels.

15 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

I'll be curious to see if he can still write a 600-700 page novel, since he hasn't done that since before TWoK.  So far all three Stormlight books have ended up a lot longer than Sanderson expected.  I love these books but I hope he can get back to that 600-700 page length for the next Mistborn trilogy and Elantris and Warbreaker sequels.

He has written several books much shorter.  All the Wax and Wayne books, his Arcatraz YA books, and the Steelheart books.  So he can do it, just a question of if he does it for Stormlight or not.

I know he's written shorter books, but those were intentionally shorter.  And Alloy of Law was originally supposed to be a novella.  I wonder if TWoK was originally supposed to be as long as Mistborn, Elantris, etc., and the Wheel of Time rubbed off on him and he started to become more long winded.  Or maybe it was intended to be a doorstopper, I don't know.  I'm fine with Stormlight books staying at 1,000+ pages, but I hope he can get back to that 600-700 page count for Mistborn, Elantris, etc.

Anyway I don't want to make a big fuss about this.  It's just something I thought of and I plan to read all of his books regardless.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:48 PM, Werthead said:

I wasn't even being facetious. He's taking 3-4 years per book so far, so let's be generous and say it'll be 3 years per book from now on. So that's:

2017: Book 3

2020: Book 4

2023: Book 5

After that he's writing the Mistborn II trilogy. Assuming they'll be shorter (around the length of the first trilogy) and coming out 18 months apart.

2025: Mistborn II-1

2026: Mistborn II-2

2028: Mistborn II-3

Then Stormlight resumes:

2031: Book 6

2034: Book 7

2037: Book 8

2040: Book 9

2043: Book 10

He's not going to go 8 years without publishing a Stormlight novel. He's also not going to publish Mistborn II in 2025. He writes a bunch of shit at hte same time. During the time that he's written the three Stormlight novels, he wrote three wheel of time books, three Wax and Wayne books, and god knows whatever random other stuff he has written over that period. The guy is a machine.

9 hours ago, sperry said:

He's not going to go 8 years without publishing a Stormlight novel. He's also not going to publish Mistborn II in 2025. He writes a bunch of shit at hte same time. During the time that he's written the three Stormlight novels, he wrote three wheel of time books, three Wax and Wayne books, and god knows whatever random other stuff he has written over that period. The guy is a machine.

He has one "big project" going on and then writes a lot of smaller, less complex books at the same time. He also only edited Way of Kings and started Words of Radiance whilst working on Wheel of Time, he actually wrote the book ten years earlier. The Wax & Wayne books and the children's books are all very simple projects he can bash out in a few weeks each. He's made it clear he can't do that for Stormlight and I think it's less likely he'll be able to do it for the other core Cosmere books. He did get the Mistborn books out quite quickly, but he had no side-novel projects going on like now.

If there is some way for him to accelerate his writing and publication schedule, he hasn't come up with it yet. His latest blog entry confirms that Stormlight #4 won't be out until 2020.

I've only read Alloy of Law of his Wax and Wayne books and, while it is definitely a lot less complex than Stormlight Chronicles or Mistborn it doesn't seem like something that can be "bashed out in a few weeks". I mean it is still some 300 pages long.

Still, I'm no writer (as I have repeatedly proven during my school years) and admit I could be wrong on this one. ;) 

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

I've only read Alloy of Law of his Wax and Wayne books and, while it is definitely a lot less complex than Stormlight Chronicles or Mistborn it doesn't seem like something that can be "bashed out in a few weeks". I mean it is still some 300 pages long.

Still, I'm no writer (as I have repeatedly proven during my school years) and admit I could be wrong on this one. ;) 

Sanderson has pointed out on his blog that the problem isn't the length of the books - he can smash out 400,000 words much more quickly - but on the complexity of the narrative, the need for a much more detailed outline than his other projects, the starting-and-stopping as he switches POVs and fills in interstitials etc.

With books that are still reasonably long he can write them much faster if the story is less convoluted, as with the Mistborn books.

With the Wax & Wayne books, he wrote them so fast that he ended up writing the second and third books together without meaning to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/5j8bkb/no_spoilersstate_of_the_sanderson_2016/dbgizmb/

To be clear, those stories that I "added" have been part of the original cosmere sequence since forever. I just haven't talked about them.

Original Cosmere sequence (from around 2003 or so.)

Core books:

Dragonsteel (7 books)

Mistborn (9 books)

Stormlight (10 books)

Elantris (3 books.)

Secondary stories:

Unnamed Vasher prequel (1 book)

White Sand (3 books)

Unnamed Threnody novel. (1 book.)

Aether of Night. (1 book.)

Silence Divine (1 book.)

This version was after I decided I'd trim back Aether of Night, but felt confident that Dragonsteel would be coming out soon. (I tried a rebuilt version of it in 2007.)

• 4 weeks later...

Blurb for Oathbringer:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=076532637X

In Oathbringer, the third volume of the New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive, the War of Reckoning comes to a sudden and destructive close as a new, far greater threat appears on the field of battle, kindled by the deadly Everstorm.

Dalinar and the Alethi forces take refuge in the legendary tower city of Urithiru, once home to the lost Knights Radiant. There, he and the newly raised Radiants must explore the mysteries of the legendary city to understand and train their powers. In doing so they must also face long-lost truths that could upend everything they think they know.

Humanity faces a new Desolation, and with the return of the Voidbringers, an enemy as great in number as in their thirst for vengeance, the world of Roshar will never be the same. Unless the nations unite behind Dalinar, putting aside his blood-soaked past, even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/5t9nyy/iamonce_againa_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson/ddl6hxn/

Oathbringer, Stormlight 3, is estimated for this November. I have the book finished, and we're in revisions.

Warning, it's LONG. About 25% longer than Words of Radiance...

When WoR came out you said it was as long as possible with the current printing method. For Oathbringer are you using a different printing method? Will there be as much art as the previous books?

We're looking at our options. There are a few.

1) Decrease margins, decrease font. (The old school paper method, reversed.)

2) Use a different printer/printing method.

3) Do what I saw some printers doing with Alan Moore's Jerusalem: Print two volumes, and put them in a slip case, and sell them together as a single "book."

Splitting the novel isn't an option, at least not unless we sell the books together. (At least in the US. Other countries have a history of that, and fans are used to it.)

He could cut half of Kaladin being Emo and Shallan trying to be Witty, that would get him down 10% or so. :P  And he could take out all those stray short stories and publish them in an extra book. 

The structure of the Stormlight Archives is an interesting attempt, but it doesn't work for me. I've read the main books and skipped all that short story stuff which I read after the main books. They felt distracting, esp. combined with the amount of flashback chapters that also halt the main action (though I was ok with those; there's at least a consistency in the main characters).

Archived