Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

They're releasing part 1 of 5, and Brandon said it's about a quarter of the book (part 5 is usually short).

Here's his latest writing schedule update for the next couple of years:

June–August: Apocalypse Guard One (Fall 2018 Release)
Early September: Legion 3 (Sometime 2018 Release)
Late September–December: Apocalypse Guard Two (Mid 2019 Release)
Late December: Random Novella
January–March: Apocalypse Guard Three (Mid 2020 Release)
April–July: Wax and Wayne Four (Series finale, Fall 2019 Release)
August–December: Undecided (Rithmatist 2, maybe?)
All months: Stormlight Four (Fall 2020 Release)

Blog post: https://brandonsanderson.com/oathbringers-final-step/ 

I didn't care for the original Mistborn books, though the magic system was lots of fun. I really enjoy the crap out of the Wax and Wayne ones, though. The Western vibe with all the pushing and pulling is just great fun. Between those and the Stormlight Archives, Sanderson is a reliable favorite of mine. I haven't read past the prologue, I think I gotta hold out for the novel. Can't wait for the new illustrations, as well! 

The Stormlight Archive books have been some of my favorite books of the last 5 years.  It's taking him longer to write these books, about 3 to 4 years between books, but they are very large books and he's super transparent about the progress of his various works.  Also, he publishes other books between the Stormlight Archive books so his output isn't actually slowing,  Just has tons on his plate.  Say what you want about the quality of his work, but I don't think anyone can deny that Sanderson has a tremendous work ethic.  I'm very happy to have found a reliable author that puts out good work in a timely manner.

In comparison, we hear nothing about the progress of Martin or Rothfuss.  It's been over 6 years since A Dance With Dragons and The Wise Man's Fear, and there is no indication that either author is close to finished with their next book.  

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh we here plenty of "progress" about Doors of Stone.

The most progress about Doors of Stone came earlier this year from a Twitch livestream event where Rothfuss accidentally showed a folder containing Doors of Stone drafts on his computer screen.  If those files were relatively up to date, then the book was likely less than 50% done.  I'm not expecting the book anytime soon.  We'll be lucky to get it within 10 years after Wise Mans Fear was published.

In comparison, Sanderson lists on his website all the projects he's currently working on, what stage the project is at, the the percentage completion of that stage, and he updates his progress relatively frequently.  He also regularly answers fan questions, has done Ask Me Anythings on Reddit, and writes up a yearly summary of how his work is going.  His online engagement with his fans about his works is the best I've come across by far.  I don't expect that other authors would share their level of progress in as much detail as Sanderson, but it would be great if they were willing to share even 10% of what Sanderson shares.

Please guys, let's not turn this into Rothfuss (or GRRM) discussion. There are other threads where we can discuss their next books' progress and their work schedule transparency. Or at least there's a thread where we can do that about Rothfuss. ;) 

Related to the Rothfuss discussion however... I find it more and more hilarious that when I went to the Words of Radiance signing, Sanderson said that his publisher shot down Stones Unhallowed as the title for SA#3 because of concern that Doors of Stone would come out in the same year.  :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Related to the Rothfuss discussion however... I find it more and more hilarious that when I went to the Words of Radiance signing, Sanderson said that his publisher shot down Stones Unhallowed as the title for SA#3 because of concern that Doors of Stone would come out in the same year.  :lol: 

I remember that. That is, as the kids say, teh lolz.

• 4 weeks later...

So a good bit of Oathbringer is out now thanks to the weekly chapters.    As far as I can tell, all the prose just serves the plot.  Stormlight is supposed to be his magnum opus right?  But he doesn't really give readers much to discuss.  Everything that matters just happens on the page.

Like the only question I have in regards to the book is what the relevance of the sword Oathbringer is.  So far it's

played no role at all.  I'm guessing someone will bond to the sword and revive it? Dunno.

@MisterOJ  

@Ded As Ned

I went looking to see if Oathbringer has a promotional tour bringing him to our neck of the woods.  JoeBeth has nothing on their website and I didn't see anything about a promotional tour other than a Mormon campout at BYU or some such.  I sent JoeBeth an email through their contact form, if I hear otherwise I will let you know so Mister OJ can blow us off again.   ;)

Archived