Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

@MisterOJ  

@Ded As Ned

I went looking to see if Oathbringer has a promotional tour bringing him to our neck of the woods.  JoeBeth has nothing on their website and I didn't see anything about a promotional tour other than a Mormon campout at BYU or some such.  I sent JoeBeth an email through their contact form, if I hear otherwise I will let you know so Mister OJ can blow us off again.   ;)

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/02/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-tour/

Sorry to say, but it doesn't look like it. Although the list is rather short. Maybe there will second tour between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or one after the holidays.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/02/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-tour/

Sorry to say, but it doesn't look like it. Although the list is rather short. Maybe there will second tour between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or one after the holidays.

Wow.  That really is a short tour for one of their big tent pole releases.

The JoeBeth I was talking about is the one that GRRM always talks about being the place he will always return to because they had a huge turnout for AGoT right after his event in St Louis was outdrawn by Clifford the Big Red Dog.  I went to Sanderson signings for A Memory of Light (with Harriet) and Words of Radiance there.

My first ever book signing was when I went to the ADWD signing for GRRM there... that was a long time ago.  :crying: 

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wow.  That really is a short tour for one of their big tent pole releases.

The JoeBeth I was talking about is the one that GRRM always talks about being the place he will always return to because they had a huge turnout for AGoT right after his event in St Louis was outdrawn by Clifford the Big Red Dog.  I went to Sanderson signings for A Memory of Light (with Harriet) and Words of Radiance there.

My first ever book signing was when I went to the ADWD signing for GRRM there... that was a long time ago:crying: 

Try never. :crying: Well actually I met GRRM at Worldcon in KC last year, and that was the first, and so far only book signing for me. Happy day.

But I have never been at a book signing when an author was touring. I live far from the popular spots.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

@MisterOJ  

@Ded As Ned

I went looking to see if Oathbringer has a promotional tour bringing him to our neck of the woods.  JoeBeth has nothing on their website and I didn't see anything about a promotional tour other than a Mormon campout at BYU or some such.  I sent JoeBeth an email through their contact form, if I hear otherwise I will let you know so Mister OJ can blow us off again.   ;)

Nope Brandon's only doing a very limited west-of-the-Mississippi tour for this one :/  I think it's a scheduling thing, and just didn't work out that he had the time for a big tour.  

Had been meaning to mention it to you.  But I'm sure he'll be back for another one before long

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

Nope Brandon's only doing a very limited west-of-the-Mississippi tour for this one :/  I think it's a scheduling thing, and just didn't work out that he had the time for a big tour.  

Had been meaning to mention it to you.  But I'm sure he'll be back for another one before long

@DanielAbraham never comes past the Mississippi either.

For all the talk of East Coast Bias in sports, publishing sure seems to have just the opposite problem!!! :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Oathbringer on a weekly basis and then reading the Reddit chapter conversations, as if it were a TV show, has probably  increased the amount of net entertainment I would've otherwise have gotten from the book.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, End of Disc One said:

The main reason I'm waiting to read is because with Stormlight Archive, I love getting these hardbacks with all the artwork in them.  For me that's part of the reading experience, so I'm going to wait until release day.

Otherwise I'd be reading these chapters so I can finish the book earlier to avoid spoilers.

Agreed.  They do a fantastic job with these books and I want to support them in that to encourage more like this.

Last two sample chapters of Oathbringer are online. The book is out in a week. I am super pumped up, but also terrified that I will finish the book in a day or two, and then have to wait another 3 years for a sequel.

So many people on Reddit already have the book because their bookstores just stick whatever they get on the shelves without regard to release dates.

All my local bookstores closed down years ago ;-(.  Nearest Barnes & Nobles is an hour and a half away.

I gotta say if I were a publisher, I would delay releasing books outside of the US because so many European stores don't seem to care about release dates.  I did see one US store on reddit that sold the book early, but the rest have the EU cover.  It's always like this with books, video games too.

Anyway I am hyped.  I know Sanderson isn't as popular on this forum as in other communities, but I'm a fanboy.  This 17th Shard review is written by a fanboy, for fanboys: http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/oathbringer-spoiler-free-review-r350/ 

I just hope my favorite place here in NYC (Strand, of course) will have it. I very much have enjoyed the series, and the illustrations, as corny as it may sound to purists, make the hardbacks really, really fun to read. With all the commuting I do, I've pretty much fully converted to using my phone or tablet to catch up on a chapter or two during my train trip. I'm looking forward to sitting with a massive new tome.

Also, I bet the book will be storming fantastic, or something. Yech. Boy do I wish we could mix in Abercrombie's masterful use of foul language into Sanderson's polite worlds.

//edit: darn. They won't sell it early even after I sweet-talked em. Guess Ill catch up next week! I'm excited.

Archived