Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

I don't know what a hardcover typically costs in Britainland money, but pricing the ebook similar to the hardcover (when the hardcover is coming out well before the paperback like with all the big releases) is sensible.   Else, it'd be a huge loss to the publishers.  The markup people pay on hardcovers makes a ton of cash, so offering a cheap e-book would undermine that.

If the argument is that an ebook costs nothing to physically make and a hardcover doesn't...that doesn't follow - the hardcover's material cost is like a $1.   It's mostly all markup.  Don't think of it as "hardcover price" or "ebook price" think of it as "first year price."

10 hours ago, Gronzag said:

My point is that a book will keep you entertained for maybe 2 or 3 days, as opposed to 2 hours in theater, which cost about £9. 

Most big ebook releases max out currently at 10 quid. 

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Again, I ask... How much does an eBook usually cost?

See above.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

One other question regarding Stormlight specifically...

Does the eBook contain all the artwork and such that makes the Hardcover such a gem?

They have the interior black and white artwork, but those are harder to appreciate on an e-reader.  I don't think they have the colored endpages, like the map of Roshar or that picture of Shallan at the Shattered Plains.  I can't speak for WoR or OB but I know TWoK eBook does not have those.

Oathbringer ebook is 12.99 Uk money.  That pretty expensive for an ebook (although Hobb and Martin are both dearer for new releases) but I imagine the hardback is going to be 20 Quid at least.

And yes it has the in text art and diagrams (not the coloured end pages) but obviously that’s not that great when you have to biggen it and drag it about with your fingers.

edit - actually I tell a lie you do get the coloured pages on a tablet type device.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

My copy of the book should arrive no earlier than November 29th. :( 

It's one of the downsides of living where I live.

I'd appreciate it if you guys post no spoilers. ;) 

I think a separate spoiler thread is more than warranted

Booko finishedo.  I've seen reviews prior to the release say it's better than the previous ones, but I'll disagree.  Maybe better than TWoK, but WoR was better.  Previous books were kinda plodding in the beginning and the middle with all the action packed towards the end.  Some of Oathbringer's best scenes were towards the middle and the last portion of the book really fizzled.

Honestly, it felt like Brandon was following the old-timey narrative structure where the climatic moments are more towards the middle and then you got the long tail off of falling action towards the end.  Despite the fact that

Spoiler

the last portion is a giant battle! It did nothing for me.  I didn't worry about any of the characters.  I didn't feel like any of them were in real danger like the end of WoR. 

I decided to buy the ebook version for this one, instead of the hardcover. My wrists would hurt if I actually tried to hold the hardcover while reading.

Haven't started yet, just bought it now, and haven't re-read the previous ones, so I'm pretty rusty on the story and characters. 

Amazon told me it shipped, and sent a link to a kindle version. I tore right in, then realized I am way too fuzzy on the details of the climatic stuff of Words of Radiance. I have to go back and re-read the last 20% or so. That said, I have to get back into his prose. The first Dalinar chapter felt really awkward. Also, I just change all the "Storm it!" and "Peace!" into really foul language when I read it. Makes things feel a bit more in tune with my style.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Amazon told me it shipped, and sent a link to a kindle version. I tore right in, then realized I am way too fuzzy on the details of the climatic stuff of Words of Radiance. I have to go back and re-read the last 20% or so. That said, I have to get back into his prose. The first Dalinar chapter felt really awkward. Also, I just change all the "Storm it!" and "Peace!" into really foul language when I read it. Makes things feel a bit more in tune with my style.

I feel that way about WoR also.

Yeah, I do think Sanderson taking a break between each Stormlight book hurts the flow (not to mention pushing the series completion time back into the 2040s, which is ridiculous). I think he needs to get the books out more quickly, reduce their length (because its unnecessary) and get some more focus into them.

Back on the subject of cost.  I picked it up today at my local B&N.  With the standard 20% off for every hardback in the store (makes no sense) plus my 10% off for being a rewards member; the book was still $26.70.

A bit more than most hardbacks I believe. So why should people be upset by a slight increase in eBook price?

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

Back on the subject of cost.  I picked it up today at my local B&N.  With the standard 20% off for every hardback in the store (makes no sense) plus my 10% off for being a rewards member; the book was still $26.70.

A bit more than most hardbacks I believe. So why should people be upset by a slight increase in eBook price?

That would make the full price 40$. It seems a bit expensive.

I paid 25€ on Amazon, but that's without any discount and with shipping to Serbia (always a factor) included.

But I have the "pleasure" of waiting for the book for 10 more days. :( 

4 hours ago, baxus said:

That would make the full price 40$. It seems a bit expensive.

I paid 25€ on Amazon, but that's without any discount and with shipping to Serbia (always a factor) included.

But I have the "pleasure" of waiting for the book for 10 more days. :( 

It is a lot, but every hardback in the store seems like it has that little sticker that says "20% off" so I never really consider that a real part of the price.  :dunno: 

Archived