Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

Arrived yesterday. I am about 300 pages in. I'm having a pretty tough go of it, to be honest. Cringing at a line of dialogue or an entire section almost every chapter. Hopefully on Saturday I'll have another block of time, and it gets its hooks in me more. I think the short-and-sweet Wax and Wayne novels make use of Sanderson's casual prose better than these 1200 page tomes.

I just hate to bag on it, as I've got nothing but respect for Sanderson's efforts. Just feels like 2500 pages in, I could have read maybe 1100 and been enjoying it much more. 

Oh goodness I finally picked up this this paperweight doorstop today... been rereading the last dozen chapters or so of WoR over the past week, so I think I'm ready and caught up.  Here we go

ETA: Love the interior cover art.  Not sure who is who yet, but it's a very nice touch, along with the rest of the artwork.

On 11/17/2017 at 5:11 PM, Argonath Diver said:

Arrived yesterday. I am about 300 pages in. I'm having a pretty tough go of it, to be honest. Cringing at a line of dialogue or an entire section almost every chapter. Hopefully on Saturday I'll have another block of time, and it gets its hooks in me more. I think the short-and-sweet Wax and Wayne novels make use of Sanderson's casual prose better than these 1200 page tomes.

I just hate to bag on it, as I've got nothing but respect for Sanderson's efforts. Just feels like 2500 pages in, I could have read maybe 1100 and been enjoying it much more. 

Way of Kings was brilliant IMO, but gosh, Words of Radiance and especially Oathbringer could have used some editing. Oathbringer in particular shouldn't have been longer than 500-600 pages, considering that half of the book is pretty much useless anyway. It reminded me a lot of books 7 - 11 in The Wheel of Time where kinda nothing really important happens until the climax, which typically is quite good.

Suffice to say I am disappointed. Just can't keep the book in my hands (and not simply because it's unwieldy). I'm halfway through by page count and feel like the characters could be in exactly the same positions by chopping down fully 2/3s of what I've made it through. Dalinar's flashbacks are insufferable.

At this point I am just skimming to see if something actually progresses. Hundreds of pages of bloat has me where I was at with Wheel of Time. Perhaps the final act will reel me back in. I just have to get through the slog. 

Archived