Help me buy a new car

Whitestripe

I seem to recall I started a thread exactly like this several years ago, but the circumstances are different. My spouse and I are not fighting over a Mini Cooper, this time. My car runs perfectly fine and will probably last years and years longer, but the kids are growing and it is not. I have a Scion XD, and while I *like* it, I've never *loved* it.  We bought the Scion when my car was dead and we needed a replacement immediately.  With that in mind, we want to do our research now, so that when we get a car in the next year or so, we've had time to think about it.  I've always driven a compact car. My VW Golf was replaced by a Mazda 3 hatchback, and that was replaced  by the Scion I have now. But sooner than I would like, I will have teenagers. With teenage friends and teenage sized stuff, and all that is hard to fit into a Scion XD.  I need something bigger, but I don't want huge. I will never drive a mini-van. I like the idea of a hatch, crossover, or sporty wagon. Sedans are kinda dull. My winters suck. We're talking feet of snow.  I don't drive a whole lot, since I live 1.5 miles from my job and the kids walk to school. Finally, I don't want to break the bank.

So sell me your car. What do you drive that you love?

Try this link. Cut and pasted from my last post:

Some basic steps for buying a new car:

1. Get financing from a credit union first. The new car dealers will always ask about how you plan to pay. Tell them you are paying cash and are only interested in talking about the price of the car. You will be pre approved and will know the cost of financing ahead of time.

2. Only go to the dealer to test drive the cars. When you go in tell them you are only test driving and will not buy today. Let them know you are still trying to decide between different makes and have not driven the other models yet (even if you have already settled on a model). They have a tougher time arguing with you if you say i still have not decided on a make/model.

3. Once you have settled on a model ask for quotes from 3 to 5 dealers through their internet department - make sure you know the exact model and trim level first.

4. Negotiate over the phone or email only. Dont go in the dealership until you have the deal done with the internet department.

5. Use the internet to get price data - edmunds, truecar, kelly blue book - they all have forms of the actual price you should pay for a specific model.

6. Know the total cost  - price of car, tax, document fees, plates and reg fees. Always get this info from the internet department ahead of time. You'll be surprised on the variance of doc fees. 250 to 300 is about right.

7. Once you buy beware the finance department. They are the real sharks, avoid financing through them even if they tell you the rates are slightly lower. I just got a 1.75% loan rate so even if they come slightly lower you are better sticking with the credit union. Tell them you do all your banking with the CU and it is more convenient. Dont buy an extended warranty on site. You can shop around on line and usually have 6000 miles or so to buy one. A lot of them are not worth it but the manufacture ones can be okay. The goal is to get out of the finance office without have any additional costs added on to the deal.

Good luck!

Just went through this, and had similar requirements for different reasons.  I ended up leasing a brand new Chevy Equinox for $350 a month.  The only issue I have is that there are pretty big blind spots, but I've gotten used to it.  All service is included into the cost and if I don't 'love' it after 2 years I'll just trade it in for a different new car.

Zelt:

Thanks. I had forgotten to go through the internet dept for quotes.  In the past, we've done all the research (prices, incentives, etc) and gone to drive several without committing to anything. Then, we go back and say "I would like to purchase car x from you. I have a quote for price x. Will you take a check?" It has worked for us, it's the stuff before that's the hard part.  

Zelt, thanks for that. I am not in the market at present but I find that stuff really interesting and I like to file it away mentally for when I am.

Whitestripe, have you considered a Subaru? They make some models that meet your requirements; I liked mine a lot when I had it, and it rode really high. Between that and the AWD I loved it for the snow.

Ini:  Subarus are extremely popular here, and we've always been *this close* to getting one. We didn't in the past because we've always gone for cars that get better gas mileage, but now that I'm even closer to work (before I was only 7 miles, now I am 1.5) we might just finally get one. I'd have to put a funny sticker on it to tell it apart in the parking lot, though.  ;)

I recently purchased a brand new Kia Soul and I love it.  I had been set on a Subaru but when I test drove the Crosstrek and then the Forester, I just wasn't at all impressed.  It was great it had AWD (which I don't need anyway), but beyond that, it was sorely lacking in features, and add ons would start getting costly.  Plus, I didn't really care how it drove and found the blind spots distracting.  

I had seen the Kia Souls around and thought they weren't very attractive, but on a whim I stopped in to test drive.  It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for - a very roomy and practical hatchback with decentish gas mileage.  One thing I really like is that for a car technically in the compact class, it sits high.  You don't sit down to get in the car, and likewise, you aren't climbing up to get out.  Several times a week, I load up a 6 ft 3 dude in the passenger seat and two dogs in the back seat (100 lbs and 45 lbs) with plenty of room for another buddy and his pug that sometimes comes with us.  The compartment in the back is very large for a car of it's size and even more storage beneath the floor, though I'd guess that if you have three teens all hauling around hockey gear every day it could get very crowded.  With the seats down, holy shit so much space to haul stuff.  

I'm not a heavy driver so I was looking more for practicality over comfort (which costs money).  I find the Soul quite comfortable but it's no Lexus.  The ride could be smoother.  The Subaru may have been a bit smoother but I honestly can't remember because I was just so not enjoying driving that car.  I ended up getting the base model because it truly had everything I needed, though there has been a day I wished I'd gotten the next model up with the bigger engine but that was because some asshole driving in an SUV was being, of course, an asshole and I couldn't get away from him fast enough.  I don't have any idea what it drives like in the snow so hopefully reviews can answer that.

I think all together I ended up paying right at $15k (which was the final selling point for me).  The best price I found was through my credit union's car buying service so hopefully you have that option available.  I constantly find myself surprised how much I love this car and I'm glad I got past my Kia prejudice because this is turning out to be the right car for the amount I drive (which seems similar to the amount you drive).  

Zelt covered most everything. Some quick bits to know:

The reason you contact 3-5 dealerships of the same type is that the biggest competition for selling a car is another dealership of the same kind. Make them compete against each other. 

Many dealerships now have internet sales teams that love these kinds of sales. Others don't. You'll quickly find out who is and isn't cool with it.

I'd recommend looking at even more dealerships. 

If you have a tradein or any other thing like that, do not mention it when making the deal. Do not mention it at all. Negotiate its value after you have made the final deal for the new car. Prior to trading anything in, go to a dealership of the same make as that car and ask to get the actual cash value (and use that term) for your used car. 

I strongly recommend not leasing if you can help it. Leasing has a ton of problems, the biggest of which is getting out of the lease if something goes wrong. The end of a lease is also a hugely stressful thing, similar to cleaning apartments prior to moving out. It's not fun. 

Since I'm in Ford country here, I just bought a 2016 Ford Explorer. The only negative I can think of is that the third-row seating is hard to access. Other than that, it's wonderful. :love: We just use the automatic function to fold the third-row down, since we don't have a use for extra seating but do have a use for carrying space.

It **really** helps to have a near relative who works at Ford so you qualify for the A Plan. No muss, no fuss, no haggling over price. Easiest way to buy a car ever.

Zelt:

Thanks. I had forgotten to go through the internet dept for quotes.  In the past, we've done all the research (prices, incentives, etc) and gone to drive several without committing to anything. Then, we go back and say "I would like to purchase car x from you. I have a quote for price x. Will you take a check?" It has worked for us, it's the stuff before that's the hard part.  

Plenty of ways to handle the actual purchase. Figuring out what is a good price is the challenge. That's why I try to do as much research as possible on Truecar, KBB and Edmunds ahead of time in order to get an average of whatever their "true car" price is. Then I search out pricing from the internet departments to see where that lands. After I do that I troll edmonds to see what people actually pay for the car in my area on forums. A lot of times there are also specialty forums dedicated to certain cars that will give actual prices paid. We bought a pilot which has a site called Piloteers.com where they have a thread to post actual prices paid. Its really hard to compare apples to apples because of sales tax and doc fee variances but for the most part you should be able to get close to the lowest price they are willing to sell.

Cut the deal for the car ahead of even showing them the trade.  Dealers love to mix in the trade to the overall deal to cause confusion. Even if you do the trade at the same time focus on the cost of the car as one component and look at the trade in separately.

d/p. Oh well.

Selling your car yourself will get you more money than a dealership will ever get you. Remember, they have to buy it low enough to be able to re-sell it.

We thought it was going to be a big hassle, but it was as smooth as silk. Couple paid cash. We put the car at the end of our driveway with a for-sale sign on it, and on the third day it was sold. Got around $2,500 more than a dealer would have given us.

ETA: BTW, you can approach buying a car with the idea in mind that every dealer is out to screw you and all car salesmen are crooked. True, there are dealerships like that, but don't assume they all are.

We approached three dealerships, two of which were big ones on large, busy streets and had lots of business. We could barely get them to talk to us, and we were looking at a pretty expensive vehicle. The third dealership was in a small, up and coming area, with not too much traffic. Everyone greeted us, but weren't intrusive. They treated us like honored guests, offering a chair, coffee, etc. They also offered us the largest $$ amount for our current car!

Our salesperson was a sweetie - the opposite of a high pressure type.
I never trusted salesmen, but since I married one, I learned that some just honestly want to help you find what you're looking for. Of course they have to make a living. You do too. How would you like to feel like everyone is looking at you like you've got three heads and a hand in their pocket? (I'm speaking of a rhetorical "you.")

I think I wrote this same reply last time... 

1. Buy a three year old used car under warranty. 

2. Take thousands of dollars, place the bills in the fireplace, squirt them with lighter fluid, and set it on fire.

This is the exact same thing as buying a new car.

Howdy - 

I hear this advice a lot. I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to find cars that are under warranty in that three year range.  I could never really find anything that saved me any significant money. Most of the prices were so close to the new car price that it made more sense to buy a new car. I found that many of the pre-owned vehicles did not start getting to a price level where it made sense until they were up at the 60k mileage mark and were more in the 3 to 4 year old range. At that point then you were looking at saving some money but with the amount of miles I put on the car (22k to 25k a year) it seemed like a better option to buy new.

I absolutely agree with the theory, I just want to temper people's expectations on what they will find in the market. Everything is dependent on the type of car you look for but finding deals can be tricky.

Tears -

Agree with you as well about not all dealers are the same but in the vast majority of sales the system is rigged in a way to get the customer on the lot, get them emotionally connected to the vehicle and push the sale at that moment. This is why I'm a fan of doing the research ahead of time and warning people about the perils of the finance department. In the finance department car dealers make customers feel like they are just filling out some forms to finalize the purchase but the reality is that they are set up to sell additional products and services.

I get that the dealers need to make money and I always treat them with respect because it is a hard job but it is a shitty system designed with one goal in mind, get the customer to make a snap decision with limited information. The best example I can give is if you have ever purchased a vehicle based on what your monthly car payment will be you have been a victim of the system. Look back at that purchase and try to figure out exactly what you paid for the vehicle. It will be tough to figure it out because they make it as confusing as possible.

I used to only do the used car route, but I've found it's not always the cheapest way to go.  The vehicle I got was selling higher or only a few hundred less used than it was brand new.  I required a loan either way and interest rates on new cars is often significantly less.  Full coverage insurance was less.  Then there are the regular maintenance stuff that dealerships are increasingly covering for 1-3 years (I won't be paying for my own oil change or car washes for a long time).  I won't be dealing with yearly inspection costs for several more years like I would with a used.  Over a five year period, I will be putting much much less money into my car having bought new than I would have used.  

So, it really depends.  

Howdy - 

I hear this advice a lot. I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to find cars that are under warranty in that three year range.  I could never really find anything that saved me any significant money. Most of the prices were so close to the new car price that it made more sense to buy a new car. I found that many of the pre-owned vehicles did not start getting to a price level where it made sense until they were up at the 60k mileage mark and were more in the 3 to 4 year old range. At that point then you were looking at saving some money but with the amount of miles I put on the car (22k to 25k a year) it seemed like a better option to buy new.

I absolutely agree with the theory, I just want to temper people's expectations on what they will find in the market. Everything is dependent on the type of car you look for but finding deals can be tricky.

Tears -

Agree with you as well about not all dealers are the same but in the vast majority of sales the system is rigged in a way to get the customer on the lot, get them emotionally connected to the vehicle and push the sale at that moment. This is why I'm a fan of doing the research ahead of time and warning people about the perils of the finance department. In the finance department car dealers make customers feel like they are just filling out some forms to finalize the purchase but the reality is that they are set up to sell additional products and services.

I get that the dealers need to make money and I always treat them with respect because it is a hard job but it is a shitty system designed with one goal in mind, get the customer to make a snap decision with limited information. The best example I can give is if you have ever purchased a vehicle based on what your monthly car payment will be you have been a victim of the system. Look back at that purchase and try to figure out exactly what you paid for the vehicle. It will be tough to figure it out because they make it as confusing as possible.

All I have to say to that is that you must not be looking hard enough at used cars. Cars depreciate in value an average of 47% over the first three years according to Consumer Reports. This means that you are spending twice the money to buy new. A ton of maintenance and warranties can be purchased for $15,773.00. (savings extrapolated from the base price of the average new car purchase in the US which is $33,560). 

People are literally throwing away money buying a new car.

I am seriously thinking of buying a Subaru the next time I buy a car.  My last three cars were used, the 1st and 3rd purchased, the 2nd I assumed the lease and then bought the car.  All three were Toyota Avalons, which I bought because they were big and comfortable for my elderly mom to ride in (dialysis 3 times a week).  The 3rd I found on a dealer's lot, 5 years old with only 60,000 km (36,000 miles).  $15,000 for a car that was originally about $45,000 up here.  I sold the 2nd with 265,000 km on it (150,000 miles) and the fellow who bought it says it runs great and now has almost 400,000 km on it.

It is bigger than you are used to, but the back seat has fantastic room in it and the trunk is very large.  With snow tires the winter ride in heavy snow is great.

If you wanted something smaller, you might find a decent used Subaru, since they are so popular where you live.  If I want a Subaru, I'm pretty sure it will have to be purchased new, since they are not as popular in the East and the owners tend to keep them forever.

FB: I agree that any Subaru will have to be new. Every second car in the lot here is a Subie, and it is nearly impossible to find one used with fewer than 100k miles on it.

This has to be nonsense. If every other car in the lots near you are Subaru's, some of them have to have low miles. Where do you live? 

Also, to save $15,000 or more, you can afford to go get a car in a different location if you live in a small town.

If you are looking for something different from a Subaru, I am pretty happy with a used Volvo XC60. Crossover, AWD, reasonably stylish, gets going fast from a standstill, and of course the safety features.

Archived