So what will happen to Ser Alliser Thorne and his goons?

D2procon

I agree that the wall will turn to all-out violence over Jon's assassination. 

I think Bowen Marsh (in the show, maybe Thorne) will be the 999th LC, but I don't think he'll last too long.

I'm not sure who the 1000th would be...my (pipe)dream theory is for Sam Tarly to take up the mantle.  He would be more than the current Watch deserves and one best suited for dissolving or restructuring the brotherhood.  Not sure if there's enough time for him to make it from Oldtown back up to Castle Black though, he'd better hurry.

^^ So Sam won't become a maester, or he'll be both Lord Commander and Maester of Castle Black? Is the latter even possible?

Honestly, I don't think Sam will become a Maester...at least not before the end of the series.  People have to study for years to achieve that status, and I'm just not seeing that happen.  I think it far more likely that Sam will learn something of great importance at the Citadel and cut short his studies.  Maybe this will be something that drives him back to the wall - some lost knowledge about the Others, maybe?  idk

They've never really fully disclosed what all goes on in the path to becoming a maester have they? Is there a minimum number of links they have to forge, or a certain list of corresponding skills like healing, raven work, and whatnot? How does the process of being assigned a post work? If they don't have anywhere to go, do they just stay and continue forging links until they do? Does Sam have a one up already being a Night's Watchman and having a post at Castle Black waiting for him?

They've never really fully disclosed what all goes on in the path to becoming a maester have they? Is there a minimum number of links they have to forge, or a certain list of corresponding skills like healing, raven work, and whatnot? How does the process of being assigned a post work? If they don't have anywhere to go, do they just stay and continue forging links until they do? Does Sam have a one up already being a Night's Watchman and having a post at Castle Black waiting for him?

To become greater than all maesters, Sam must, as Jaime's said, "fondle boys". lolololol

I don't think Sam is going to become a maester, but I do believe he will learn many things about WW's and how to defeat them.

I think IF he becomes a maester he will be with a new order of NW or he will be the new Maester to House Stark, assuming he survives.

I would assume at least 1 year.  Even 1 year of studying would make for some pretty ill-adept men of thought to service High Lords and the like.  Even 1 year seems too long for the books' timeline at this point, but who knows.

I think IF he becomes a maester he will be with a new order of NW or he will be the new Maester to House Stark, assuming he survives.

Not even considering all the things that would lead to this, I would be happy with seeing Sam as Maester of Winterfell by the end of the series.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived