Do you think Margaery actually love(s/d) any of her kings?

RenlyTheOneTrueKing

She is power-hungry, just like Cersei but she prefers ruling through love instead of fear. Did she love Renly? I doubt it... But I think she didn't hate him either as he was a pretty decent person. And don't forget, her own brother is homosexual and at purple wedding, she may have been annoyed at their treatment of Loras - remember, "Renly" was riding Loras puppet.

I'm sure she liked Renly, but she also knew Renly was gay and knew her only function in that relationship was to get pregnant and forge the alliance. Renly did treat her kindly and she probably had good feelings of him for that. So Joff mocking her former husband/friend and brothers lover probably didn't sit all that well.

She absolutely hated Joffrey and was just playing the game to make him not torture her.

And she is clearly just manipulating Tommen.

I think it was fairly obvious she hated Joffery, but in the Purple Wedding, she looked quite annoyed at their treatment of Renly, which made me wonder if she actually loved Renly and thought he should be king?

What do you think?

No love. She just wants to be Queen. She's a pragmatist though so would have got on well with Renly.

Renly was kind to people and her brother was in love with him. Tommen is a kind little boy she'll cater to as long as he is good to her, but no, she isn't looking for love, she's looking to be queen.

ETA: Not that I don't think she would have been a great queen in a more peaceful time. She's fantastic with people and would rather feed the hungry than let food go to waste...unlike another queen we know.

• 1 month later...
Margeary liked Renly, but he annoyed her. He wasn't exactly husband material, he was simply a means to an end. When he died all she was really bothered about was becoming THE Queen, her conversation with LF was evidence of that. She did not love Renly.

Joffrey was again a means to an end - her becoming Queen - and even though she despised him she thought she could manipulate him. Ollena was wise to kill Joffrey, she knew Margeary was in danger and Margeary couldn't see it.

She likes Tommen but again her ambition has made her blind to his shortcomings. He is weak and annoying. Yes, he is easily manipulated, but Cersei has a big influence over him. Cersei had no hold over Joffrey.

Margeary's blind ambition is her weakness and will be / has been her downfall. She and her brother will die.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die"

Maybe Love was the wrong word.

I feel as though she liked Renly, hated Joffery and for me it's hard to tell if she's just manipulating or actually likes Tommen

I think you've probably got a good assessment of the state of the relationships.  She liked Renly well enough but also wasn't deluded enough to think she would find romantic love there, that said I think they would have had a decent enough marriage if it had lasted.  She definitely hated Joffrey, there were too many times where she'd smile when she was with him but still have that look in her eye that he was totally disgusting and she was grinning and bearing it.  Though I think she's open to having a good relationship with Tommen down the road, at this point she's manipulating him but not just to ensure her own place but to get him out from under Cersei control so he doesn't become another Joffrey.  I.e while it is definitely manipulation, it is manipulation with an eye towards him being a decent human being and good king so not just for her own ends.  That said, I still don't think it will end well for her but that has more to do with the likelihood of Tommen keeping the throne than anything she's doing on her own. 

Archived