Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

Danvers is only 5'11'' as well so we're not talking astronomically tall. An inch above me sure, but not outrageous. Ferguson at 5'7'' would only be 5 inches below that.

Hemsworth is 3 inches shorter than Thor.

RDJ is 5 inches below Tony Stark.

Jeremy Renner could be up to 7 inches shorter than Clint Barton.

Chris Evans is 2 inches shorter than Cap

I'm struggling to see it as a big deal myself.

Like Tom Cruise?

To be fair, they always do camera shennanigans with Tom Cruise so that you never really appreciate how short he really is. And, well it is basically a lot easier for guys of any size to look like BAMFs, all you need is decent biceps and a 6-pack.

Also aside from Jack Reacher most of Tom's BAMF roles have not been based on a character that has a specified height. And plenty of Jack Reacher book fans think Tom Cruise's casting was plain wrong. On the flip side, the list of really great actors who are 6'5" and not old is pretty short, so faced with not really being able to get a good actor who has Reacher's height you might as well just hire the best actor regardless of height. Also, Jack Reacher is a character drawn with words alone. Captain marvel is a character who is drawn to scale. Captain Marvel is officially (in comic lore) 5'11". It should be possible to get a quality actor who approaches that sort of height. And of course Charlize Theron being just an inch off is one of the best actors of this generation. The only reason not to cast her is if she doesn't want it or she's already over committed to other projects.

@Black Bear 5" for Renner vs Hawkeye (at least according to this page http://marvel.com/universe/Hawkeye_(Clint_Barton)6'3" vs 5'10"). But as mentioned already height is really only important for Thor and Cap. And at almost 6'3" Hemsworth is plenty intimidating in size. Funny that Stellen Skarsgard is 1 1/4 inches taller. They certainly seem to make sure he looks shorter than Thor in the films. 

You also get diminishing returns with height difference as you get taller, given each additional inch becomes a smaller proportion of one's height. So 4" difference between 5'7" and 5'11" is more significant and notable than the difference between 6'2' and 6'6". Also 5'10" is the magic number because that's the average height for men. So Carol Danvers being 1" taller than the average white American man is a non-negligible thing. She is literally meant to be able to look down on most men.

In the end height is important for some characters even if you give or take a few inches. Our current short BAMF example Tom Cruise could not pull off Thor without special effects bringing him up to height.

The one interesting counterpoint is that Scarlett Johanssen is short at 5'3", so a 5'7" actor for Carol Danvers is the same height difference as BW and Captain marvel in comic lore (5'7" vs 5'11"). It could be argued that the most important relative height is BW vs. Captain Marvel, and having MCU Captain Marvel be 8" taller than MCU BW is too big of a gap.

I've always said you need to get the best possible acting talent for a job and that physicality is secondary, and I still think that despite my OCDness for Captain Marvel's height. But it doesn't stop me from wanting them to have a well above average height woman play the role, partly because there are excellent actors in that height range. 

Really? We heard you the first time.

I don't even know what the others are. So can someone just make a list and post it here, including this fabled last one, so I don't need to go anywhere else looking for them?

Re Guardians (and the general galactic angle of the MCU. The Collector seems like a chaotic neutral kind of character. He has no interest in galactic domination or the destruction of entire races, but if genocide is what it takes for him to get his hands on something he deems to be ultra-desireable that's what he'll do. He's a good person to have the infinity stones as long as he sees no reason to try to use one (or more) to get something else he wants. As long as all he wants from them is to have the most powerful objects int he universe in his possession then that's fine. Trouble is when you have those objects, you tend to end up finding a use for them because they look like the easy solution to a problem.

I don't even know what the others are. So can someone just make a list and post it here, including this fabled last one, so I don't need to go anywhere else looking for them?

Re Guardians (and the general galactic angle of the MCU. The Collector seems like a chaotic neutral kind of character. He has no interest in galactic domination or the destruction of entire races, but if genocide is what it takes for him to get his hands on something he deems to be ultra-desireable that's what he'll do. He's a good person to have the infinity stones as long as he sees no reason to try to use one (or more) to get something else he wants. As long as all he wants from them is to have the most powerful objects int he universe in his possession then that's fine. Trouble is when you have those objects, you tend to end up finding a use for them because they look like the easy solution to a problem.

He seems less powerful than he is in the comics, but that might just be that he hasn't shown his full abilities yet. And his collection is not nearly as well guarded as one would hope for a possessor of infinity stones.

As for Easter Eggs there are a lot, this is a pretty good list, and doesn't seem to have any glaring omissions that I can recall off the top of my head.

The shame is that Adrianne Palicki would have been a great Capt Marvel... But I'll probably wind up liking whomever they cast.... I've given up second guessing Marvel Ent...... I've been wrong every time....lol

I'm thinking she got a bit pouty lipped when she saw the Captain Marvel announcement AFTER she's been signed up for AoS.

I agree that Marvel's casting choices have been very good. They've picked actors who somehow feel very natural in their roles. Paul Rudd was my only real pre-movie casting concern, but that was when I thought he might be playing Hank Pym. But with them jumping straight into Scott Lang I became pretty relaxed about Paul Rudd being cast in the role. I was still worried that the movie as a whole would fall flat, but I thought the casting choices were just fine.

Chris Pratt was another concern re GoTG. But again, with not knowing that story at all, and with there being a sentient racoon and a "Hodor tree" as principle cast I was also worried that Chris Pratt as Star Lord was of negligible concern in the grand scheme of things. 

Out of curiosity, who did you think Marvel made particularly bad casting calls with, that turned out to work really well?

Opinions on Ali Larter for Captain Marvel? She doesn't quite fit my height criteria (she's 5'8", which is right around my personal preference cut off), but I quite like her in Legends and she has Heroes and, I hesitate to say it, Resident Evil for pop culture and action movie...ummm...cred(?). So she can be an audience draw without being as super expensive to cast as someone like Charlize Theron would be.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005123/?ref_=nv_sr_1in case people have forgotten her.

Emily Blunt's newest movie is getting excellent reviews as is her performance in it as an FBI agent. So that will probably get the speculators talking about her again and talking less about Rebecca Fergusson.

Opinions on Ali Larter for Captain Marvel? She doesn't quite fit my height criteria (she's 5'8", which is right around my personal preference cut off), but I quite like her in Legends and she has Heroes and, I hesitate to say it, Resident Evil for pop culture and action movie...ummm...cred(?). So she can be an audience draw without being as super expensive to cast as someone like Charlize Theron would be.

Too old, she looks youthful NOW but a womans looks fade quickly around that age.

Whereas men, as we all know, uniformly keep their looks in their 40s? (I wish. :p)

Casual sexism aside, I think Larter would be fine. Nothing says Captain Marvel has to be young, any more than she has to be tall.

• 2 months later...

Really the best cross over is with Spider Man. Either put the Defenders into a Spidey movie, or have Spidey show up on the odd occasion in the Defenders TV show. The Avengers isn't NYC based, they have a global / galactic scope. The Defenders are all about acting local, they aren't really into teh whole save the world thing. Spidey is the in-between character. He's NYC based/focussed, but he also has a broader interest, so he's the natural connection between the Movie-verse and the TVerse. 

Problem is Disney/Marvel probably didn't try to negotiate that sort of role for Spidey, and Sony probably wouldn't have agreed.

However if they bring the main Earth-level conflict in Infinity War to NYC, then having the Defenders be completely AWOL would feel a bit weird. When it comes to a War that makes Avengers 1 look like a minor skirmish, all hands on deck seems like it would mean ALL hands.

When the Defenders form as a hero alliance they really should be on the SHIELD / Avengers radar, so they should get a visit from someone. Even if it's to be told to Feck off!

Really the best cross over is with Spider Man. Either put the Defenders into a Spidey movie, or have Spidey show up on the odd occasion in the Defenders TV show. The Avengers isn't NYC based, they have a global / galactic scope. The Defenders are all about acting local, they aren't really into teh whole save the world thing. Spidey is the in-between character. He's NYC based/focussed, but he also has a broader interest, so he's the natural connection between the Movie-verse and the TVerse. 

Problem is Disney/Marvel probably didn't try to negotiate that sort of role for Spidey, and Sony probably wouldn't have agreed.

Yeah, unfortunately the deal with Sony doesn't allow for Spider Man to appear on the Marvel TV shows. I agree with you though that would have been the way to go. 

However if they bring the main Earth-level conflict in Infinity War to NYC, then having the Defenders be completely AWOL would feel a bit weird.

I kinda hope they don't trash NYC for a third time in the MCU, that might be pushing it. There are other cities in the world.

I mentioned it in another thread but depending on the structure of The Defenders I wouldn't mind seeing a flashback episode set on an anniversary of "The Incident" where each character reflects on what they were doing that day. You'd could easily imagine Luke Cage helping people to safety while across town Iron Fist is punching some Chitari. Jessica would probably still enslaved by Kilgrave and doing nothing to help. I guess Murdoch would still be at law school and thus possibly not even in the city? 

When the Defenders form as a hero alliance they really should be on the SHIELD / Avengers radar, so they should get a visit from someone. Even if it's to be told to Feck off!

I still hold out a naive hope that we'll get to see Coulson and May "indexing" one of the defenders in a flashback to before Shield fell. Hell even if they just alluded to any of these characters on Agents of Shield I'd do a little continuity dance. 

Cate Blanchett in talks to star in Thor:Ragnorak...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cate-blanchett-thor-marvel-ragnarok-1201658846/

/Death? Hel?

I will never stop enjoy this woman in fantasy genre. The news indicate she will be Hel. And it is going to be EPIC.

Damn, I would have accepted her as Captain Marvel in a heartbeat. She's probably too old for the execs in charge of casting though.

Archived