Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

Honestly, even though I have never read any Dr. Strange, I think the Strange movie is the one that I'm most looking forward to it.  I can't wait to see how Marvel handles "magic".

With a fuckton of alliteration, if the comic is an accurate barometer.

By the HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH! 

Honestly, even though I have never read any Dr. Strange, I think the Strange movie is the one that I'm most looking forward to it.  I can't wait to see how Marvel handles "magic".

To some extent, even if you personally don't like it, Dr Strange will have Harry Potter to thank for convincing non-Marvel fans to give Dr Strange a go. Wizardy movies are much more palatable as adult fare thanks to Harry Potter.

How does magic work in this universe? All the super powers we've seen so far have a pseudoscience (or even an actual science albeit used and abused beyond recognition) basis. Super soldier serum, radiation exposure, Alien tech, genetic mutations, genius industrialist tech. Does magic have a pseudoscience basis, or is it genuine metaphysics?

I have always liked Rachel McAdams.

She would be a great pick up. While this season of True Detective lacks the specialness of the first, one of the stand outs in the show is her. So her profile has been raised even further with True Detective.

A Sherlock from one re-telling, partnering up with a Miss Adler from another retelling.

How does magic work in this universe? All the super powers we've seen so far have a pseudoscience (or even an actual science albeit used and abused beyond recognition) basis. Super soldier serum, radiation exposure, Alien tech, genetic mutations, genius industrialist tech. Does magic have a pseudoscience basis, or is it genuine metaphysics?

Did they attempt to explain SW's probability manipulation? She seems like she's beginning to bridge the gap, between the two.

Even in the comics you have characters like Stark who keep saying that magic doesn't exist they just don't fully understand how it works.

Did they attempt to explain SW's probability manipulation? She seems like she's beginning to bridge the gap, between the two.

Even in the comics you have characters like Stark who keep saying that magic doesn't exist they just don't fully understand how it works.

SW is an inHuman right (a mutant in the comics)? The whole inHumans / mutants thing is hyperfantastical, but it's based on having super-amazing genes, or latent Kree enhancements embedded in your genome, so there is a physical/pseudoscience basis for it.

I dunno about the Tony Stark view. In a theoretical world where magic exists as a metaphysical power you are always going to have some people who think there is a physical science basis for it. So Tony Starks assertion that it's explainable by science doesn't necessarily mean the writers intend to one day reveal the physical science basis to it, or that in their minds there is such a physical basis to it. Does anyone know if Stan Lee or other Marvel folks have mentioned whether magic is physical or metaphysical in the comic universe?

She would be a great pick up. While this season of True Detective lacks the specialness of the first, one of the stand outs in the show is her. So her profile has been raised even further with True Detective.

A Sherlock from one re-telling, partnering up with a Miss Adler from another retelling.

To quote myself, if we get Natalie Dormer into the MCU then that's Sherlock and Watson from one re-telling, Miss Adler and Sherlock from another re-telling, and Moriarty from a 3rd re-telling. Lucy Liu could certainly find a place in the MCU if they wanted a Chinese woman in a significant role, which would add Watson from the 3rd retelling and thus give us 2 from each set. 

To quote myself, if we get Natalie Dormer into the MCU then that's Sherlock and Watson from one re-telling, Miss Adler and Sherlock from another re-telling, and Moriarty from a 3rd re-telling. Lucy Liu could certainly find a place in the MCU if they wanted a Chinese woman in a significant role, which would add Watson from the 3rd retelling and thus give us 2 from each set. 

It's a small role but Natalie Dormer was in the first [i]Captain America[/i], she tries to flirt with Steve, irritating Agent Carter.

SW is an inHuman right (a mutant in the comics)? The whole inHumans / mutants thing is hyperfantastical, but it's based on having super-amazing genes, or latent Kree enhancements embedded in your genome, so there is a physical/pseudoscience basis for it.

I dunno about the Tony Stark view. In a theoretical world where magic exists as a metaphysical power you are always going to have some people who think there is a physical science basis for it. So Tony Starks assertion that it's explainable by science doesn't necessarily mean the writers intend to one day reveal the physical science basis to it, or that in their minds there is such a physical basis to it. Does anyone know if Stan Lee or other Marvel folks have mentioned whether magic is physical or metaphysical in the comic universe?

There's no indication so far that the Maximoff twins are Inhumans (who, btw, are also not an Apple product ;) ), I think. They just got their powers through Strucker's experiments.

The "science" of the Marvel universe is extremely vague, and so is the magic. Both can do ridiculous things, magic just seems to require a more ritualistic approach a lot of the time, but at the end of the day it's just the same as a technobabble explanation on [i]Star Trek[/i]: 'this particularl task requires the use of dark/chaos/quantum magic, not the regular run-of-the-mill kind'.

Wanda and her sort-of-son Billy's power is considered magic, making their mutant ability essentially "can use magic".

On the other end of the spectrum is Franklin Richards, who is just as capable of doing whatever the writer needs him to do right now, but his ability to warp the fabric of reality at will is considered a 100% "sciency" superpower.

I'm hoping it's good old fashioned magic but they work at having some limits so it's not just "this person has unlimited power". Although there's a decent chance the eye of agamotto might turn out to be an infinity gem (maybe it already has?) and it has some quantum thingy a majig that allows the use to conduct "magic" - which would place it in the pseudo science of Asgard.

I don't believe there is any precedent for that. If it is, it can only be Time or Soul. Soul is obviously the better fit of the two. Time will probably not show up until very late in the game.

Space (Tesseract, Cap 1, Avengers 2)

Mind (Loki Staff/Visions gem, Avengers 1+2)

Reality (Aether, Thor 2)

Power (the Orb, GotG)

They'll use the Time gem to reboot the universe after Infinity War Pt 2, at which point they'll recast everyone and bring X-Men over from Fox.

Hey, I can dream (bring X-Men over), right? :) 

I'm honestly not fussed about getting the X-Men in on the universe, they tend to work best for me at a bit of a distance from the rest of the Marvel world. And you end up with questions like: where were the Avengers in the Age of Apocalypse? Etc.

I'm honestly not fussed about getting the X-Men in on the universe, they tend to work best for me at a bit of a distance from the rest of the Marvel world. And you end up with questions like: where were the Avengers in the Age of Apocalypse? Etc.

I would like to see Wolverine take a turn in the Avengers though. Dunno how much longer they can wheel out Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but one turn of him in Avengers would be great. Though I'm thinking if there ever was a deal to bring mutants into the MCU Wolverine would be recast, because there would need to be a long term commitment, to which Hugh might not be willing to sign, or ageism might start kicking in.

Huge-Jacked-Man has already said Wolverine 3 (I believe just called Wolverine) will be his last. And I think that's about right, and I can live without Wolverine in a film for a while into the new recast era. Him coming into a established X-Men group down the line, fits with his character too.

An MCU/Fox deal is not coming anytime soon. The two companies by all accounts hate each other, in stark contrast to Sony/Marvel. It'd take a couple of franchise destroying disaster films, to stop Fox from milking this particular cow. Spiderman 3 killed Maguire's Spiderman, then Amazing Spiderman 2 killed Garfield's. There were seven years between them (which shows how desperate Sony were to make it work,) and Sony still haven't actually let the rights fully revert.

Archived