What if Rickon Never Returns?

What do you think Wyman Manderly and Robett Glover would do if Rickon Stark never returns to Westeros? If he is already dead or dies along with Davos as they attempt to return from Skagos?

They told Davos that they would fight the Boltons if they had their liege lord to fight for so that the Starks can be seated at Winterfell once again. Seen from the high tensions in Winterfell in ADwD, Manderly would love nothing more than to fight the Freys, and maybe would take a chance against the Boltons.

But do you think that the northern lords loyal to the Starks would attempt such a war if there were no Starks that they could place back in Winterfell?

I can't see it happening, but if it did they would hatch a plan to back another Stark. Bran would be a rallying cry, even if they couldn't find him. And Jon would become very attractive to them as well.

Well there is also Sansa. I could totally see her holding the status as leader of the starks temporarily. In all honesty I don't think they would go to war if they didn't have a Stark with them. Though I am confident that Rickon will return. The plan to return may be delayed (like Davos taking Rickon to the wall first and get involved in the dilemma there), but return he shall. 

I completely agree with the above, I see little chance that Rickon would not return to the North. It would be a weird move by GRRM to bring up the search for Rickon only to not have him become a small factor in the books to come.

Definitely think the North who supports the Starks would probably hold off on war with the Boltons until they had a Stark to seat at Winterfell.

"What if Rickon Never Returns?"

Then we'll have the explanation for the name of his Direwolf.

:D

This forum needs a like button.

I believe all the Stark children will return to winterfell (except Robb, maybe his bones might be brought back) because Jojen see's it in his green dreams and GRRM is pretty consistent in giving some foreshadowing in previous books. The one person I am not sure of is Bran, because his situation is very complex with not knowing bloodravens true intentions.

before battle starts between boltons and stannis, davos will return and manderlys will turn and attack boltons mid fight

stannis might just might die in this battle but banners will gather around rickon and defeat all opposing forces...

if rickon never returns well that would piss of alot of fans but it wont have major impact on story overall...

It's not an unthinkable premise, Rickon not returning.   The first time I read the series all I could say is "everything is a trick. Nothing is what this writer leads you to believe."  And the show is no better with that just soul crushing story line of Stannis burning Shireen.   Ugh.   That's the ugly nature of this entire story, to get you to want something then just dash your hope away.   So what if Rickon doesn't return?  Other than having to deal with losing yet another Stark I imagine we would lose one of the 3 truly good guys in the story, Davos.  Shudder.   The North will have to do somethingJon is not an option.   Arya is not a good option.  Bran is an unlikely option so the only one left is Sansa...or Theon.  ​You see, I have considered this.  Theon was kept alive and mightily humbled for a reason.   In that I can't think of anything else he actually could do, overthrowing the Bolton regime is something I think he (Asha) maybe could do.  Pave the way for Sansa's return.  Renders my favorite theory completely null and gives Sansa another piece of the lemoncake.  Or Stannis could win big battles and really campaign for the Iron Throne.   Lady Dustin, Wyman Manderly, the Umbers, the Karstarks and all those intriguing northern houses would just have to figure it all out for themselves. So yes, Rickon could really not be part of this tale.  But it will be a lot smoother and more interesting if he does make it home.  

So what if Rickon doesn't return?  Other than having to deal with losing yet another Stark I imagine we would lose one of the 3 truly good guys in the story, Davos.  Shudder.   The North will have to do somethingJon is not an option.   Arya is not a good option.  Bran is an unlikely option so the only one left is Sansa...or Theon.  ​You see, I have considered this.  Theon was kept alive and mightily humbled for a reason.   In that I can't think of anything else he actually could do, overthrowing the Bolton regime is something I think he (Asha) maybe could do.  Pave the way for Sansa's return.  Renders my favorite theory completely null and gives Sansa another piece of the lemoncake.  Or Stannis could win big battles and really campaign for the Iron Throne.   Lady Dustin, Wyman Manderly, the Umbers, the Karstarks and all those intriguing northern houses would just have to figure it all out for themselves. So yes, Rickon could really not be part of this tale.  But it will be a lot smoother and more interesting if he does make it home.  

I definitely agree with this, Rickon is not 100% vital to the story, but his return makes whatever will happen in the North a lot smoother and creates more of an engrossing story.

Curious, who would you place as the other two truly good guys in the story? I definitely agree with Davos and believe that Sam Tarly would for sure be another. I could see a few other characters as options, but curious as to who you would pick.

Haven't seen many who don't think Davos is a truly good guy.   The other 2 would be Sam and Brienne in my opinion, though the really good in Jamie, Theon, Asha, Tormund  and many others isn't lost on me.   I think Davos will play a bigger role in bringing Rickon back outside of literally bringing him back.   Davos is worthy of a responsibility this delicate and important.  And he's the perfect choice for this mission.   I expect Osha to reemerge as a peacemaker, too.  I can't see either Davos or Osha allowing Rickon to be used as a pawn in a power grab by anyone, Northern or Southron.   I just can't figure out where Davos will actually take the little lord--The Wall?  White Harbor?   Winterfell?  I think where they emerge is as important as their homecoming.  And though it is possible to tell this tale without Rickon returning I believe we deserve the meager little bright spots this series gives us.  Rickon will be the first of the Starks to come home, with Osha and Davos in tow, Rickon's steps scream of the potential for peace.  Alternately, Theon participating in the downfall of the Boltons would be a personal triumph of revenge and partial redemption for Theon, an avenue for Asha's high-minded peace and a victory Stannis badly needs.  For all it's worth. 

This forum needs a like button.

Or you could just throw money.

:D

Rickon, Osha and Davos will return to Winterfell after Stannis' army has taken it with some Manderly + Umber betrayal to the Boltons + Freys. Stannis has some mortal wound, stuff plays out, he dies. Davos becomes the Regent to Rickon because he receives word that Melisandre sacrificed Shireen to try to save Stannis or some other dumb Melisandre screw up. The North is whole again - All hail the King in the North...maybe an Umber says something rude about Davos being a southerner, Shaggydog takes their whole arm off instead of a few fingers. They laugh, its just like good times with their old King Robb. Now its time to fight some Others and save the realm. Maybe its just them, maybe Dany somehow makes it...too many details for me to put together but victory ensues. Fast forward to A Dream of Spring - it's time to mass genocide the Freys because we need more than a few hangings. Half way to the twins Nymeria and the pack meet up with Rickon/Shaggydog and his army. From the battlements of the Twins, the Freys see the new Stark King riding forward with a massive army - Direwolf banners everywhere...and a vanguard led by Nymeria(Arya warg mode)/Shaggydog and the wolfpack. Greatjon breaks his chains, crushes some Frey skulls and opens up a side door/gate. Wolves storm into the Twins. Then the Frey's start uncontrollably crapping their breeches, trying to run away and are all slaughtered and eaten as they slip in fall in their own excrement.

I will be seriously surprised if Rickon never shows back up...George already played that card with Benjen - "They went somewhere and were never seen again." We get to see what happens to Arya, Sansa, Bran and Jon but we never see Rickon again? Doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Rickon will be the first of the Starks to come home, with Osha and Davos in tow, Rickon's steps scream of the potential for peace.  

I'll agree that Rickon's steps scream for something, but I can't see it having anything to do with peace. Rickon is Lemmy Kilmister, 49% motherfucker, 51% son of a bitch -- the wild wolf. When he's not busy talking with ghosts or having Shaggydog rip up Maester Luwin, he's busy not taking shit from anybody and raising Hell everywhere he goes. 

Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.

Rickon, King of not giving a F. That line is the whole paragraph. At first glance, one would assume that Shaggy is licking the blood from Rickon's fingers, but the subject never changes. It's Rickon who pats the bloody muzzle, Rickon who nonchalantly acknowledges he loosed his hellbeast from chains, and Rickon who licks the blood from his fingers as to say "do something about it.."

And that's him at 4 years old, raised by cool-hand Ned and surrounded by loving family at Winterfell. What do you think is going to happen to his personality when his mentor figure is now a wildling spear wife, and he grows up on Skagos? 

The only potential peace I see Rickon's steps screaming is the potential for a swift and merciful death. If Rickon's steps leave a peace trail, it will be spelled "piece" trail - as in pieces of anyone who gets in his way will be strewn about his bloody wake as he marches towards..

Towards what? Winterfell? The Wall? The Twins? The Dreadfort? White Harbor? ... Who knows?

I do. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh! 

As he marches towards.. wherever he damn well feels like marching for. Wherever the ghosts of Winterfell tell him he should go.

Rickon Stark, KoNGaF!

I'll agree that Rickon's steps scream for something, but I can't see it having anything to do with peace. Rickon is Lemmy Kilmister, 49% motherfucker, 51% son of a bitch -- the wild wolf. When he's not busy talking with ghosts or having Shaggydog rip up Maester Luwin, he's busy not taking shit from anybody and raising Hell everywhere he goes. 

Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.

Rickon, King of not giving a F. That line is the whole paragraph. At first glance, one would assume that Shaggy is licking the blood from Rickon's fingers, but the subject never changes. It's Rickon who pats the bloody muzzle, Rickon who nonchalantly acknowledges he loosed his hellbeast from chains, and Rickon who licks the blood from his fingers as to say "do something about it.."

And that's him at 4 years old, raised by cool-hand Ned and surrounded by loving family at Winterfell. What do you think is going to happen to his personality when his mentor figure is now a wildling spear wife, and he grows up on Skagos? 

The only potential peace I see Rickon's steps screaming is the potential for a swift and merciful death. If Rickon's steps leave a peace trail, it will be spelled "piece" trail - as in pieces of anyone who gets in his way will be strewn about his bloody wake as he marches towards..

Towards what? Winterfell? The Wall? The Twins? The Dreadfort? White Harbor? ... Who knows?

I do. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh! 

As he marches towards.. wherever he damn well feels like marching for. Wherever the ghosts of Winterfell tell him he should go.

Rickon Stark, KoNGaF!

Dammit, we definitely need a like button. LOL! 

Seriously, I think he'll return. He serves no other purpose than to end up being the Lord or Stark in Winterfell. GRRM could just as easily given Ned & Cat two sons instead of three and the story would still be what it is now. So what's RIckon's point if not to end up becoming a reincarnation of the Starks of old, hanging entrails from weirwood trees and generally kicking ass?

Archived