Favorite Chapter from A Clash of Kings!?

Ser Falione

What's your favorite chapter from the second book? And why?

I'd just like to see some opinions in comparison with my own.

Personally, my favorite chapter from this book is Chapter 56, Theon V

It's a fantastic psychological chapter that adds a greater depth to the complex character of Theon Greyjoy. He is a POV character that I've found I first disagreed with most, if not all, of his actions. He is troubled, and blinded by a certain ambition and desire for respect. This chapter really exemplifies that. It starts with dreams plagued from the guilt of killing "Bran and Rickon" consuming his nights. Asha finally arrives and offers Theon an escape from his follies and he refuses! I found that fact astonishing. There is no happy ending in sight for Theon except for that offer. Her words to Theon make you realize just how unsuccessful his attempt to be "Prince of Winterfell" really was. And then, if you read the books first, it is revealed that he never even killed Bran and Rickon. Gut-wrenching reveal. He killed the miller's boys and framed them as to not seem a fool for letting his captives escape which is folly because now all of the North is furious! Among other conflicts. All in all, huge fan of this chapter on a structural and emotional level, with beyond exceptional character development for Theon Greyjoy.

I recommend of reread of this chapter, if not the entire book, if not the entire series. 

If you clicked this topic, thank you. If you read this entire post, I thank you twice. 

Yes i agree with chapter 56

My other favorite would be the previous one (chapter 55) where Catelyn talks to Jaime - it was very intense when they were asking each other questions. 

Another great chapter imo was Daenerys in the House of the Undying - obviously because of her visions

I also enjoyed the prologue so much - when i watched the show Melisandre and Stannis weren't that interesting to me, but the way they're introduced in the book   :wideeyed:

My favorite chapter was when Daenerys entered the House of the Undying simply because it was so nerve-racking for me. I had no clue what to expect. Every time she walked through a door on the right-hand side I was wondering what would happen next. The visions she saw were very interesting as well. I found this to be a very intriguing chapter and it certainly caught my attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I liked Tyrion I, where Tyrion returns to King's Landing and confronts Cersei about her incest.

"The grieving widow in the Eyrie seems to think it was me. Where did she come by that notion, I wonder?"

"I'm sure I don't know. That fool Eddard Stark accused me of the same thing. He hinted that Lord Arryn suspected or . . . well, believed . . . "

"That you were fucking our sweet Jaime?"

She slapped him.

"Did you think I was as blind as Father?" Tyrion rubbed his cheek. "Who you lie with is no matter to me . . . although it doesn't seem quite just that you should open your legs for one brother and not the other."

She slapped him.

"Be gentle, Cersei, I'm only jesting with you. If truth be told, I'd sooner have a nice whore. I never understood what Jaime saw in you, apart from his own reflection."

She slapped him.

His cheeks were red and burning, yet he smiled. "If you keep doing that, I may get angry."

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite chapter is Sansa VII, Chapter 63. 

There's so much chaos going on both outside during the Battle of Blackwater Bay and inside the Red Keep.  Characters everywhere are overwhelmed beyond comprehension.  Cersei is cold towards those she should be comforting because she loses her cool, and yet it's girl who's weak and crying the entire book who comforts those around her despite being terrified herself.

To find a moment alone, she escapes to her room.  Sansa thinks of her direwolf, says "Lady" out loud, and the "dog" who symbolically replaced her wolf is there.  It's the Hound, and he wants to take her away to save and protect her.  The scene is disturbing too, because he pressed her down and holds a knife to the girl's throat, yet she is unafraid.  The way she treats Sandor is the same way she would have to her direwolf had there been an outburst, and it shows such a wonderful and latent strength of her character. 

As Arya had to chase away her wolf in the previous book, Sansa would not be safe with her new "wolf" either and so she must let him go for now. 

It's a really beautiful and poetic chapter, I've read it over and over more than most in the book.

My favorite chapter was when Daenerys entered the House of the Undying simply because it was so nerve-racking for me. I had no clue what to expect. Every time she walked through a door on the right-hand side I was wondering what would happen next. The visions she saw were very interesting as well. I found this to be a very intriguing chapter and it certainly caught my attention.

This one is another favourite.  What a truly beautiful piece of prose! 

Chapter 58, Davos III. Possibly, in my opinion, Martin's greatest chapter to date. Not only does he set a beautiful scene for the beginnings of the Battle of the Blackwater, but the way he describes the events, starting from drifting into the Rush, to the fighting, to the explosion of the wildfire, to the final line, is masterfully done.

I am a newbie to the books, just halfway through ACoK, but so far I have to agree with sweetsunray about Arya's chapters at Harrenhal, and just her chapters in general. She's becoming my favourite character, largely because her chapters are so entertaining. Conversely, finding Jon's north of The Wall chapters a bit dull :/

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The most haunting chapter for me was 68, Jon VIII - Farewell to Qhorin Halfand. How the great Qhorin (loved him from the first moment) lights the last fire with Jon, speaking with him once more the words of the vow (always a deeply touching moment), and then it all adds up to the last mission Qhorin charges Jon with... well, I found myself crying bitterly... (a rather rare situation)

Further great chapters:

The Weasel Soup - mind-blowing! As for me, Arya deserved her knightly accolade.

The House of the Undying - Dany's Magical Mystery Tour

Tyrion the Hand - all chapters were one single delight  :D

Jaime's Questioning - mostly because he unravelled some mysteries, and I partly believed him

I thought the death of Maester Luwin was pretty heart breaking so that (the last one) was probably one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed the chapter with Tyrion fighting at the Blackwater and the House of the Undying was obviously great too. I also thought the chapter with Catelyn and Jaime questioning each other was pretty enjoyable.

20 hours ago, Arry_Stark said:

I thought the death of Maester Luwin was pretty heart breaking

Oh yes, it was! But not without a giggle, as Rickon shouts at him angrily, that he can't die, and Luwin counters: "Hush now, child, I'm much older than you. I can... die as I please."

And how could I forget: The Birth of the Shadow - in the tunnels beneath Storm's End! All at once, I understood the nature of a Shadowbinder. And I wondered whether Quaithe in Qarth has a similar agenda, as they both come from Asshai...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OP is correct, that is the best chapter in the book. 

I have never felt those kind of emotions from a book before. it wasnt just that chapter but it was the buildup to the chapter. Theon says hes not going to show mercy, then The message tyrion shows to Cersei about bran and rickon where he says "arent you happy? you wished them dead didnt you?" or something like that. At this point I was still clinging to hope, as bran is one of my favorite characters, "ok, shes happy because she wanted them dead, doesnt mean theyre dead now nessesarily, maybe something bad just happened to them." Then Catelyn literally says "I have no sons but Robb" and after that you cant assume anything else. Then after pussyfooting around it they go on to mention how their heads were on pikes and they didnt even let them bury their bones in the stark crypt, and my soul is basically black at this point, Then at the end of the chapter theon reveals they were the millers boys...good god. Then you have one of those moments where everything falls into place and makes sense: how jojens vision about the faces is still true, why theon would force the maester and everyone else to come with him after bran but then suddenly insist that they return to winterfell before they go to the boys, why Reek had brans clothes in his bag, etc. and those moments are the best moments in this series in my opinion. All the character for Theon was good too, but the reveal gave me chills. 

• 6 months later...

I like a number of chapters about Arya and how she strengthened from book one. She's tough. And manages to outsmart people, and takes charge. She's certainly not afraid.

I also like the amusing chapters such as Theon getting lost in the woods, and of Jaime having a laugh at Catelyn's expense.

The Dany chapters are somewhat boring except when she goes into the house of the undying.I mean that gave me chills when she saw her brother.

• 4 weeks later...

My top 5 favorite ACOK chapters:

1. Sansa VII (Blackwater)
  2. Arya X  (the escape from Harrenhal)
  3. Catelyn VII (in Jamie's cell)
  4. Tyrion XV (post-Blackwater, really devastating chapter as he is recovering, having a lot of dreams and memories of Tysha) 
  5. Daenerys IV (the House of the Undying)

• 1 month later...

Easy. Catelyn's chapter in Riverrun when she goes to see Jaime. Mostly because it contains the single most awesome line in the entire book series and one I will never forgive being left out the TV show "I seldom fling children from tower windows to improve their health". That line made Jaime my favourite character. 

Also it was just a great scene that allowed you to get a proper insight into how Jaime ticks for the first time. His little speech about "so many vows" was the first real indicator that the guy was no stereotypical villain and was way more complicated than I thought. 

Archived