Sansa Stoneheart? (book spoilers)

Zoe Stark

A lot of people thought that Sansa was going to 'go dark' after last season, but this season there was no trace of that in her characterization.  "Darth Sansa" was basically just a costume; her actual behaviour hasn't really changed.  I mean, she gets angry (who wouldn't? And that's nothing new, either), but I haven't seen anything that suggests she's going to embrace the dark side.  Indeed, she spends the whole season being righteously angry and never even attempts anything unethical.

My theory is that Sansa on the show will make one kill only, that will be Littlefinger.

If Sansa and Catelyn's story arcs in the books ultimately don't have much impact on how things play out, then I can certainly see mashing the two arcs together with a Sansa Stoneheart. Also a resurrected Sansa from jumping off a wall will be a much more pleasent site than a resurrected Catelyn with a sliced open throat and skin gone grey from marinating in the river.

At this point, I would approve of such an adaptive change. Though ultimately the story loses so much depth with all the vengeance focussed on the Boltons and the Frey's pretty much being sidelined. Which is what is implied with Sansa stuck all the way up North. Swapping out the Riverlands Story with sending Jaime on a stupid and failed mission to Dorne is one of the worst adaptation changes of the whole series thus far.

I think Sansa is a dead girl walking, so it's possible.  Sansa lost her wolf, so she has no protection from the Old Gods.  She also betrayed her family by telling Cersei that Ned was sending her out of Kings Landing.  So bad karma is coming for her, unfortunately.

I remember when I read the first book this was what I thought, that there was some magical significance of Sansa not having her Wolf anymore. However as many bad things have happened to her as to everyone else, so I was totally wrong.

While most people on this board think Sansa was moved north just so she could be raped, I think its clear that such a significant change means that she will have to become pretty central to events in the north. Either she is going to the wall and will see Jon, or will look for Bran and Rickon (probs not finding them but getting caught up in some other storyline) or she will be the face of a Northern Lords style backlack against the Boltons.

I've actually been thinking they might turn Sansa into LSH as well.  It seems to me they have been leaving out a lot of the book resurrections in order to save the shock value for when Jon is resurrected.  No LSH, no Mance switcheroo, no Aegon who was believed dead, yadda yadda.  Only Beric, and I think that was only to show what Melisandre was destined for.  If Sansa were to take over LSH's role, it would sort of put the Brienne storyline back on track, as well as allow the killing of Boltons and Freys to begin.  I just don't think Sansa will die first, I just think she'll mentally snap and turn cold and vengeful.  Also, if the Vale knights finally arrive and side with her, she'll have an army backing her.

I remember when I read the first book this was what I thought, that there was some magical significance of Sansa not having her Wolf anymore. However as many bad things have happened to her as to everyone else, so I was totally wrong.

While most people on this board think Sansa was moved north just so she could be raped, I think its clear that such a significant change means that she will have to become pretty central to events in the north. Either she is going to the wall and will see Jon, or will look for Bran and Rickon (probs not finding them but getting caught up in some other storyline) or she will be the face of a Northern Lords style backlack against the Boltons.

Sansa is going North to fulfill Jeyne's plot points this year, but it's pretty obvious she'll be the Heiress of Winterfell by the end of the Last Book.

The wall with Theon, if he lives and Briene and Pod. Ofcourse Brienne would tell Sansa this time that her sister is alive and that she killed the hound to free her from him. Sansa may send Brienne on either a mission to find Arya and tell her about herself (Sansa) or she joins a quest to the wall and with Davos to find Rickon and or Brandon. Sansa to the wall is the most obvious but that does not mean D&D will take that route. Littlefinger and Sansa will meet again in season 6, I am sure of it.

She can't be the heiress with Rickon and Bran still alive.

Well, Bran may never see daylight through his own eyes again and Rickon's future is full of peril. Then, Jon, if legitimized would come before the daughters, including Sansa but his life is always in peril. There are no certainties. Just remember, if Sansa gets winterfell, her husband, whoever he is gets it and their children after them who would not be named "Stark". That is not acceptable but very well may be inevitable.

Well, Bran may never see daylight through his own eyes again and Rickon's future is full of peril. Then, Jon, if legitimized would come before the daughters, including Sansa but his life is always in peril. There are no certainties. Just remember, if Sansa gets winterfell, her husband, whoever he is gets it and their children after them who would not be named "Stark". That is not acceptable but very well may be inevitable.

Sansa might also die before the conclusion of the novel. Rickon seems to be far safer than she is at the moment.

The children would be half Stark, the husband can drop his name and take the Stark name and so can the children, if Sansa does remarry she could pick a Northerner or Arryn with Stark blood in them.

I personally think if she lives and stays at WF she will take no husband, but more likely if she lives ( and I do hope so ) she will marry into a house that will be a total benifit to her house and the realm.

With regards to Sansa on the show I can see where there has been a difficulty in merging her character with a couple others in the show for the purposes of time and interest. Her character is important and while these others may not be in the long run some of their story lines may be important to the overall picture and direction. We won't know until we get there.

For instance, and please excuse me if I get some things wrong here as I've not read the book and am going from memory from what I've read here...

To have had Jeyne Pool as a complete character would have meant some back story and screen-time which would have taken away from other characters. However, her interaction with Ramsay and Theon is important to the larger picture but she as an individual character is not important to the larger picture. Meanwhile, in the books I understand, you have Sansa stuck in the Vale without much to do at this point but this character is important to the larger picture. So they get merged. I get that. But problems arise and a smooth transition difficult. Now if you also include LSH this could muddy her character considerably and make things much more difficult to flush out.

So then one has to ask, how important is LSH to the overall picture and how important are her individual actions to the overall picture? She seeks revenge against the Freys and others, yes? Which, I mean, who doesn't want to see Frey's head on a pike, let's be honest, but does that get us anywhere? Two seasons left. Could not another character accomplish the same while progressing on other story lines? Why bring in a LSH, a new character on the show, that needs back story  and screen-time (lots of explanation and perhaps a look-back sequence), no matter how cherished in the books, to extract revenge and why muddy Sansa's character even further? Too complicated - I don't see revenge that important to the bigger picture right now. Everything is moving towards the big battle.

I think Sansa will be more practical to the story. She will seek safety at first, won't be easy but she'll get there; Brienne seems to exist to help with this. Perhaps she will somehow be involved with finding Rickon and Bran as one will be the heir to WF.  She will become stronger and will be herself the banner that the North can rally around and will unite with Jon for the great battle. Powerful position for her actually, and all the shit she's been through has prepared her for this. She will be no fool. Littlefinger will have to die at her hands for poetic justice if nothing else.

And as far as a baby - ugh, HIS child...sigh, hard to explain her not being pregnant at this point, but how that gets played I just don't see. I'm hoping there is a convenient explanation deployed for it not coming to be but that is my personal "want" shadowing what is the more logical - there probably will be a baby.

So then one has to ask, how important is LSH to the overall picture and how important are her individual actions to the overall picture? She seeks revenge against the Freys and others, yes? Which, I mean, who doesn't want to see Frey's head on a pike, let's be honest, but does that get us anywhere? Two seasons left. Could not another character accomplish the same while progressing on other story lines? Why bring in a LSH, a new character on the show, that needs back story  and screen-time (lots of explanation and perhaps a look-back sequence), no matter how cherished in the books, to extract revenge and why muddy Sansa's character even further? Too complicated - I don't see revenge that important to the bigger picture right now. Everything is moving towards the big battle.

I think Sansa will be more practical to the story. She will seek safety at first, won't be easy but she'll get there; Brienne seems to exist to help with this. Perhaps she will somehow be involved with finding Rickon and Bran as one will be the heir to WF.  She will become stronger and will be herself the banner that the North can rally around and will unite with Jon for the great battle. Powerful position for her actually, and all the shit she's been through has prepared her for this. She will be no fool. Littlefinger will have to die at her hands for poetic justice if nothing else.

What I mean by "Sansa Stoneheart" is not her literally becoming LSH through resurrection and through a complex backstory or anything. I just mean an extremely vengeful Sansa who is fed up with everyone taking advantage of her and lying to her. She has gone through a lot of shit, which in my opinion mirrors the way LSH came to exist; after getting the hell beat out of her, Sansa is being reborn or "reincarnated" (metaphorically) as "Sansa Stoneheart" or "Darth Sansa" if you will- just how when Catelyn died and was brought back, she was done with being kind and understanding to everyone and she wanted blood. 

I do see your point about "the big picture." I do think it will be a little late since the Walkers will soon be running around Westeros, but I think if she does go in the Sansa Stoneheart direction she'll have a part in that war, but only after she's had her fill of revenge. I don't see her going anywhere other than the Wall to Jon where... oh, right. She might just see his killers and then set off on her rampage once and for all, but of course I don't know for sure. This post was just be voicing my speculation about where she'll go next. I'm excited to see where everyone ends up after the Wall falls.

Sansa is definitely thirsty for some Ramsay Bolton blood, Stoneheart or not. And I agree with you when you say Baelish will die by her hand. She's too smart to see him for anything more than what he really is- a lying manipulative piece of shit who played a part in getting her father killed. I think he will be one of her first victims. Who's to say what comes after that?

She didn't have to betray her family.  She chose to. 

She didn't

Ned did that himself when he told Cersei everything before he got his family out, Sansa did not goto Cersei to say good bye to her until a couple of days later, Cersei already had things in motion, Roberts death, soldiers, Janos Slynt and his crew etc. all Sansa did unintentionaly was provide the final time line and get her and Jeyne Poole held as hostages.

She was a naieve child that was caught up in a  political game by uncaring and overly proud grown ups that didn't give 2 shits for the realm.

She didn't

Ned did that himself when he told Cersei everything before he got his family out, Sansa did not goto Cersei to say good bye to her until a couple of days later, Cersei already had things in motion, Roberts death, soldiers, Janos Slynt and his crew etc. all Sansa did unintentionaly was provide the final time line and get her and Jeyne Poole held as hostages.

She was a naieve child that was caught up in a  political game by uncaring and overly proud grown ups that didn't give 2 shits for the realm.

Ned really was out of his depth. He overevaluated his position because he trusted his wife, Cat, who told him he could trust Littlefinger. That was his most fatal mistake. There were other mistakes but that was the one that cost him his life and Stannis's rightful crown.

Ned really was out of his depth. He overevaluated his position because he trusted his wife, Cat, who told him he could trust Littlefinger. That was his most fatal mistake. There were other mistakes but that was the one that cost him his life and Stannis's rightful crown.

I can't fault him for trusting his spouse, but Cat did not even heed her own words to Ned, about Robert not being the same man, she just thought LF as the same little boy of 8.

So yeah the Starks are out of their depths here.

She can't be the heiress with Rickon and Bran still alive.

Bran's not going anywhere and Rickon's a child. Even so, Sansa being the heiress means she's the heiress of someone, so I'm pretty sure the person she'll be heiress to is Rickon. I don't see her marrying ever.

Bran's not going anywhere and Rickon's a child. Even so, Sansa being the heiress means she's the heiress of someone, so I'm pretty sure the person she'll be heiress to is Rickon. I don't see her marrying ever.

She strikes me as the strong aunt like figure that helps oversee the raising of the next generation of Starks but on the show, I could almost never see her wanting to go back to Winterfell again after the Boltons ruined it for her with their presence and ofcourse her horrible wedding night and subsequent rapes. I have a strong feeling she simply will not be alive at the end of the story, books and show. When Lady died, it was major foreshadowing, we just do not yet know the outcome yet.

Archived