The Biggest Secret Identity Reveal in All of ASOIAF (bigger than R+L=J)!

Codename: Nymeria

Can't believe I missed this post.  When 'Martin' attended the farewell tour early this month it seemed clear this was a brainstorming session on completing WoW.  Some obvious clues that haven't been mentioned:

So I give you my eyes, and all of their lies
Please help them to learn as well as to see
Capture a glance and make it a dance
Of looking at you looking at me.

The black-throated wind keeps on pouring in
With its words of a lie that could almost be true.
Ah, Mother American Night, here comes the light.
I'm turning around, that's what I'm gonna do

Goin back home that's what I'm gonna do
Turnin' around,
That's what I'm gonna do

That 'Black-Throated Wind' alludes to Drogon seems apparent.  The eyes/lies line is obviously referencing Dany's slayer of lies prophecy, and killing Stannis as the blue-eyed King with no shadow.  It should also be noted that two lines later Dany must 'make it a Dance,' suggesting she will deal with Stannis before turning her attention to fAegon.  Then, 'ah Mother...here comes the light' prophesizes only after the Dance will Dany meet Jon as lightbringer.  Finally, as if that all wasn't clear enough, the end of the song reestablishes that this is about Dany finally returning home.  'Turning around' may, however, suggest doing so constitutes 'looking back,' which we all know means if she does, she is lost.  This is perhaps ominous for Dany's endgame.

I know you, rider, gonna miss me when I'm gone;
Gonna miss your baby, from rolling in your arms.

Laid down last night, Lord, I could not take my rest;
My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the West.

The Sun will shine in my back door someday.
March winds will blow all my troubles away.

I wish I was a headlight, on a North bound train;
I'd shine my light through cool Colorado rain.

'I Know You Rider' seems to be Jon's song, particularly with him North bound and shining his light.  I may need help interpreting this one though.  The rider could be a number of people; surely Robb, Ned, Mormont, and Ygritte end up missing Jon when he is gone.  Jon's mind wandering like the wild geese in the West suggests Tyrion and Jon will meet again.  The Sun shining in Jon's backdoor someday, disturbingly, may suggest a torrid love affair between Jon and fAegon.  The winds blowing all his troubles away is just further confirmation that Jon will be resurrected during TWOW.

I have seen where the wolf has slept by the silver stream.

I can tell by the mark he left you were in his dream.
Ah, child of countless trees.
Ah, child of boundless seas.
What you are, what you're meant to be
Speaks his name, though you were born to me,

Born to me,
Cassidy...

Lost now on the country miles in his Cadillac.
I can tell by the way you smile he's rolling back.
Come wash the nighttime clean,
Come grow this scorched ground green,

Blow the horn, tap the tambourine
Close the gap of the dark years in between
You and me,

Cassidy...

Quick beats in an icy heart.
catch-colt draws a coffin cart.
There he goes now, here she starts:
Hear her cry.
Flight of the seabirds, scattered like lost words
Wheel to the storm and fly.

Faring thee well now.
Let your life proceed by its own design.

Nothing to tell now.
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

That 'Cassidy' is Bloodraven's love song to Bran is undeniable.  The first verse is establishes this, while the second refers to the work BR and Bran must do together in combating the Long Night and the Others.  The third verse is, quite literally, BR's farewell to Bran.  That 'icy hearts' and 'wheel to the storm and fly' are both mentioned seem to suggest Bran's future is very open-ended.

More connections...

Since it costs a lot to win, and even more to lose,
You and me bound to spend some time wondering what to choose.
Goes to show, you don't ever know,
Watch each card you play and play it slow,
Wait until that deal come round,
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no.

If I told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.

'Deal' seems to be a reference to the RW, spoken from the Frey's perspective 'wondering what to choose.'  After all, if anyone plays their cards slow, it is Walder Frey.

As we rode out to Fennario, as we rode on to Fennario

Our captain fell in love with a lady like a dove
And called her by a name, pretty Peggy-O.
Will you marry me pretty Peggy-O

If you will marry me, I'll set your cities free
And free all the ladies in the area-O.
I would marry you but your guineas are too few
And I fear my mama would be angry-O.

What would your mama think if she heard my guineas clink
Saw me marching at the head of my soldiers.

If ever I return pretty Peggy-O,
If ever I return your cities I will burn
Destroy all the ladies in the area-O.

Sweet William he is dead pretty Peggy-O,
Sweet William he is dead and he died for a maid

'Peggy-O' could drastically change our perspective of the Rhaegar-Lyanna relationship.  As the first verse indicates, Rhaegar and his company rode out to the RL when he fell in love with a lady like a dove.  What is interesting here is Lyanna appears to reject Rhaegar's proposal because he's not wealthy enough.  Lyanna's 'mama' is clearly a parallel to her family, and we all know what happened when Ned saw Rhaegar marching at the head of his soldiers-o:  Rhaegar died, whispering Lyanna's name with his last breath, just as Sweet William did.

Honestly, I could do this all day.  Thanks for this thread, made me realize I haven't listened to Dead in a good while.

More connections...

'Peggy-O' could drastically change our perspective of the Rhaegar-Lyanna relationship.  As the first verse indicates, Rhaegar and his company rode out to the RL when he fell in love with a lady like a dove.  What is interesting here is Lyanna appears to reject Rhaegar's proposal because he's not wealthy enough.  Lyanna's 'mama' is clearly a parallel to her family, and we all know what happened when Ned saw Rhaegar marching at the head of his soldiers-o:  Rhaegar died, whispering Lyanna's name with his last breath, just as Sweet William did.

Honestly, I could do this all day.  Thanks for this thread, made me realize I haven't listened to Dead in a good while.

I had a blast making it, have been super-thrilled with the response. And people are pointing out things (like Bob Weir = weirwood) that I hadn't even considered/known when I started it.

Since you bring up Peggy-O, I can't help but mention the only other Dead song which mentions "Fennario", "Dire Wolf" (which is, of course, partially analyzed in the OP), which begins:

In the timbers of Fennario, the wolves are running round,

The winter was so cold and hard, froze ten feet 'neath the ground...

I think we can make a pretty good case at this point that "Fennario" is the original name for Winterfell ("the wolves are running round"), and specifically, the flurry of activity which Rhaegar's actions caused. The second line hints at the "winter" that entered the hearts of the Starks (the moment when "all smiles died") when Lyanna was taken/eloped. The "ten feet 'neath the ground" refers to the five dead Stark bannermen who are buried at the ToJ. "Peggy-O" is the story for Rheagar's perspective; "Dire Wolf" is the same story told from Ned's perspective. So, on top of everything else, there's your early signs of POV story-telling.   

See, we're meant to think that, but you have to go deeper. The reason Boots is not involved in the whole Ser Pounce/Lady Whiskers mousefight is because Shaggydog is actually standing in for Boots at that point, while Boots is off in Braavos, training to be a faceless kitten. That's why "Boots" didn't try and get the mouse.

Precisely--the Cat of the Canals must first be a kitten. Science.

But the mistake is easy to make with Shaggydog as stand-in, given his warging connection to Nymeria. And thus the Cat. But of course neither Shaggy nor Nymeria would bother with mice.

Though this obviously opens up Shaggy as potential for Valonquar. Or would that be too obvious?

I think we can make a pretty good case at this point that "Fennario" is the original name for Winterfell ("the wolves are running round"), and specifically, the flurry of activity which Rhaegar's actions caused. The second line hints at the "winter" that entered the hearts of the Starks (the moment when "all smiles died") when Lyanna was taken/eloped. The "ten feet 'neath the ground" refers to the five dead Stark bannermen who are buried at the ToJ. "Peggy-O" is the story for Rheagar's perspective; "Dire Wolf" is the same story told from Ned's perspective. So, on top of everything else, there's your early signs of POV story-telling.   

Huh--not sure. I'd have thought "10 feet 'neath ground" would mean the Winterfell crypts. Especially since the story is from Ned's perspective and that's where he brought Lyanna. Plus, ten feet underground fits crypts better than cairns. Though logic is not always the deciding factor in these works. Or interpretations of them.

Still, the following lyrics do seem to fit with Ned's dreams of Lyanna. And his guilt. And even with Theon's dream of the dead Starks. Seems almost prophetic.

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf, six hundred pounds of sin
Was grinning at my window, all I said was come on in
Don't murder me, I beg of you, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me

Huh--not sure. I'd have thought "10 feet 'neath ground" would mean the Winterfell crypts. Especially since the story is from Ned's perspective and that's where he brought Lyanna. Plus, ten feet underground fits crypts better than cairns. Though logic is not always the deciding factor in these works. Or interpretations of them.

My thinking was five bannermen = ten feet. But I may have been paying too much attention to the number; I can absolutely see the Crypts of WF connection as well. Could just as easily be a reference to having to place Lyanna "ten feet 'neath the ground." 

Though this obviously opens up Shaggy as potential for Valonquar. Or would that be too obvious?

You definitely may be on to something here. After all, Shaggy is a younger brother. And now that we have clear proof of his proximity to Cersei (who is secretly Arianne Martell)...

One more then I'm done I swear:

Fare you well my honey
Fare you well my only true one
All the birds that were singing
Have flown except you alone

Goin to leave this Brokedown Palace

River gonna take me
Sing me sweet and sleepy

Goin home, goin home
by the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
to rock my soul

Goin to plant a weeping willow
On the banks green edge it will grow grow grow
Sing a lullaby beside the water
Lovers come and go - the river roll roll roll

Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell

'Brokedown Palace' is clearly the song of the GOHH, as Summerhal is obviously the brokedown palace.  'All the birds that were singing' flying away 'except you alone' appears to be confirmation that she is a CotF.  The song then fairly explicitly chronicles her return to the RL and toll taken for her prophecies - lullabies sung by Tom Sevenstreams.  'Weeping willow' is also an excellent allusion to the chopped down weirwoods that encircle High Heart.  The question here is who the GOHH loved more than words can tell?  Jenny or Prince Duncan?  Egg himself, or maybe even Dunk?

Also, seriously, the story of Danny Flint always reminded me of Jack-A-Roe, only with a very tragic ending.

Excellent.

I like the 'ten feet 'neath the ground' alluding to the five dead northmen.  Seems very poetic and elegant.

My thinking was five bannermen = ten feet. But I may have been paying too much attention to the number; I can absolutely see the Crypts of WF connection as well. Could just as easily be a reference to having to place Lyanna "ten feet 'neath the ground." 

No reason why we have to choose--multiple layers of meaning. Like multiple layers of the crypts. Which are filled with statues of "Dire Wol(ves)"--synergy. 

Am thinking it works closely with "Rosemary"--

All around the garden grew scarlet and purple and crimson and blue.

She came dead and she went, and at last went away, the garden was sealed when the flowers decayed.
On the wall of the garden a legend did say, no one may come here since no one may stay.

Blue roses of Winterfell, crown--you know the rest.

Garden was sealed--glass gardens. Sealed for heat.

She came dead and she went--came to Ned in dream with bleeding eyes, dying in dreams--then gone

Flowers decayed--black rose petals on her palm

On the wall--blue rose in a wall of ice

No one may come, etc.--the crypts again

So, Martin/Garcia/Bloodraven has the songs work in concert. Key word being "concert."

You definitely may be on to something here. After all, Shaggy is a younger brother. And now that we have clear proof of his proximity to Cersei (who is secretly Arianne Martell)...

Oh yes. It's good to finally be able to talk of this openly. Arianne seduced a KG to cheat a king (Tommen); Cersei seduced a knight to make him into a KG to then cheat on a king. Clear as day.

Hello all.

So, this is the first forum I’ve contributed to in a while, and I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. As such, I wanted to make a real contribution to the zeitgeist of the site. Here goes nothing.

Archer, you are incredibly handsome and great at hand-to-hand combat.  But when you decided to 'make a real contribution to the zeitgeist of the site', you exposed yourself as the King of the Understatement...and possibly Emperor Supreme of the Internet. 

I cannot believe I just stumbled across this today.  Wow.  Congrats on one of the most amazing and fulfilling posts I have read.  Extra points, BTW, for attracting such brilliant contributions by other commentarians above. 

Excuse me while I prostrate myself your general direction, O Mighty Codename!

• 2 weeks later...

Felt like bumping this thread so I'll do a cheap one:

Going down the road feeling bad
Don't wanna be treated this a way

Going where the water tastes like wine...

Clearly Tyrion on the Valyrian roads with Illyrio.  The water tasting like wine is foreshadowing to JonCon soon being Tyrion's unsolicited AA sponsor.

Before anyone says it, yes, this song was not written by Martin...er, the Dead.  But their choice of verses among the much more detailed traditional song is telling in relation to Tyrion's ADWD quest, including this - "I'm going where those chilly winds don't blow" -  and perhaps even this, "My mother told me, 'Son don't go down there.'"

Speaking of songs the Dead performed, but didn't write, and Tyion...

The shining yellow coins, sure did look bright and jolly,
I took the money home and I gave it to my Molly,
She promised and she vowed that she never would deceive me,
But the devil's into women, and they never can be easy...

...especially when you consider that "Molly" used to be slang for "prostitute"

After mentioning "guards standin' round me" and being "put in jail without a judge or jury," the song ends

Some take delight, in fishing and bowling,

Others take delight in the carriage a-rollin',

I take delight in the juice of the barley,

Courting pretty women in the morning so early...

I also think we need to prepare for the very real possibility that House Dayne's words are, "What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been." I realize that, technically, that's Bob's song, but perhaps the reason "George" is so reluctant to give them out is because of how clearly they would substantiate the rumors of his true identity?

Archived