Defiance

Arkash

Okay, we probably have a thread for the show already but I couldnt find it !

I've binge watched through Defiance recently and the ending of the latest episode was absolutely badass ! 

They almost convinced me Datak was a goner ! But that is Datak "fookin" Tarr we're talking about ! That was an increidlbe ending !

When this show works its great but the problem is most of the time it doesn’t work.  The latest episode was probably the best of the show so far and the only time that their cover of a beloved rock song wasn’t forced.  Give Tarr a hand or an arm whichever comes first that was amazing.  I also really liked the brief glimpse we got of the original home world these aliens came from  plus Datak’s father was on the show for 30 seconds and stole the episode.  I don’t think Defiance will last for a 4th season which is a shame so many of the established cast got their plotlines cut short either in the last episode of the 2nd season or the first episode of the 3rd and that’s never a good sign.  

I always thought there would be a path back from the brink for Datak Tar, the show would lose a lot without him. The fact they kept him alive suggests to me that at least when they were shooting the show they were not seeing this as the final season. But what I wonder is if Datak will show up again. The deal was essentially that Datak died so Stahma might be pardoned. If he shows up armless Defiance may not think that is enough of a sacrifice for his betrayal of Defiance.

I'm not sure what to make of the appearance of the space vampires Omec. It's cool and all to be introducing a new race, but I really don't like species that are so hostile to all other races, and regard them as cattle. I just don't see that as plausible. How does a race logically evolve which would see other technologically advanced races as fodder, when throughout their pre-space evolution they would only be consuming animals with no advanced civilisation, or they would be a planet of cannibals. And I don't see universal cannibalism as a viable basis for the evolution of a technologically advanced society. At worst, a race which never abolished slavery is conceivable, which would finally decide tothe superiority of the lowliest of its own kind and move to enslavement of other galacitc races. If the Omec had just been presented as slavers rather than space vampires I could go with that. That one scene where he killed the VC infiltrator was pretty cool. 

The appearance of the Omec really should lead to humans and VC banding together to eliminate a common threat. Hopefully that's the direction the show will head with the conflict between T'evgin and Kindzi. If/when more Omec get rescued from their ship they will almost certainly side with Kindzi. And despite what Stahma wants, I don't see T'evgin killing his daughter. 

I'm still watching though I often end up reading summaries and then watching it later.

I like the show but not sure I think it should another season. I think they fundamentally changed the ideal of this show from people in a diverse town trying to get by to the people facing a major threat that could annihilate the town.

Unfortunately, we never really got to care about the town across three seasons, not to mention a good chunk of the season 1 cast is gone so the thought of Defiance being annihilated is largely the loss of many "red shirts".

Yeah, I've been watching it too, and they when they cut cast, they don't mess around.

They got rid of Kristy and her family in one fell swoop, which now leaves the question of the mines. Are they Lukes now, or did I miss something and the mines are no longer relevant?

Not a fan of the Omecs, and gross, the father and the daughter are lovers or did I misinterpret that?

Its strange that with the Kristy and Family gone the only humans we have even a vague emotional attachment to are Amanda and Nolan

The stupid part is we all know the space vampire is going to be defeated by the power of love of some other hackneyed nonsense

And I don't see universal cannibalism as a viable basis for the evolution of a technologically advanced society.    

The appearance of the Omec really should lead to humans and VC banding together to eliminate a common threat. Hopefully that's the direction the show will head  

The Omec are a collection of things, like the central bowl you use to collect all the chicken bones when everybody's eating KFC.  

Let's list. 

They're......   Drow, Techies, purple avatar philosopher kings with priestly robes and regal demeanor, feral vampires plagued by animalistic bloodlust, Mass Effect's world-killing Reapers, Game of Thrones style incesters, wizards, seducers and romancers who follow their hearts---not necessary their all-important mission---the Poppa vampire is a free spirit while under the most pressure to succeed that anyone in his species has ever known.  Also they're a model family who stress the importance of values and the proper raising of children; wise Uber Aliens who feel the burden of ultimate responsibility for how the galaxy turns out.   They'd be voted most likely to conquer everyone but at the same time they're showing real signs of peacefully assimilating better than the other aliens.  They're ancient legends who don't live up to the legend because the legend is outdated on account of how they're constantly changing and adapting on a whim and they don't let their ancientness make them rigid in their ways.  They're the "franchise player" species of the VC's pro basketball team (sidelined in season 1 due to contract negotiations).  The ones who can do it all----because they possess every single quality under the sun.  

I'd predict [spoiler] that poppa torches his own ship rather than set his bloodthirsty brethren loose on his new love, humanity.  [/spoiler]   But then again, I predicted the VC was going to come rescue Defiance from the rogue alien general guy.

Okay, we probably have a thread for the show already but I couldnt find it !

I've binge watched through Defiance recently and the ending of the latest episode was absolutely badass ! 

They almost convinced me Datak was a goner ! But that is Datak "fookin" Tarr we're talking about ! That was an increidlbe ending !

I need to say one final word on Datak here the show is not without its flaws but his character is not one of them.  You can't help but love a guy who not only manages to cut off his own arm to keep Ramtak in the tent but then has the presence of mind to run out of the blast radius thereby cheating death.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, that truly felt series finale, eh ?

It was a very strong end of a story, in my opinion. 

Of course, there is a potential for an interesting season 4, but if it's not renewed, it will remain a great ending.

Archived