Arya ill natured?

to steel

I see everyone praise her for good nature for the smallfork but i want to disccuss this with everyone 

“I’m not a boy,” she spat at them. “I’m Arya Stark of Winterfell, and if you lay a hand on me my lord father will have both your heads on spikes. If you don’t believe me, fetch Jory Cassel or Vayon Poole from the Tower of the Hand.” She put her hands on her hips. “Now are you going to open the gate, or do you need a clout on the ear to help your hearing?”

she used the voice of someone who thinks theyre above someone.. why? is it not wrong?

I see everyone praise her for good nature for the smallfork but i want to disccuss this with everyone 

“I’m not a boy,” she spat at them. “I’m Arya Stark of Winterfell, and if you lay a hand on me my lord father will have both your heads on spikes. If you don’t believe me, fetch Jory Cassel or Vayon Poole from the Tower of the Hand.” She put her hands on her hips. “Now are you going to open the gate, or do you need a clout on the ear to help your hearing?”

she used the voice of someone who thinks theyre above someone.. why? is it not wrong?

Nah, she's just feeling entitled. 

For all of the endless negative criticisms directed at Sansa for being spoiled and selfish, it surprises me that Arya gets a lot of pass for her numerous character flaws. 

This in particular is a situation where Arya and Sansa would have reacted almost identically, just change a few words and it's Sansa in that scene. 

“I’m not a wench,” she protested. “I’m Sansa Stark of Winterfell, betrothed of Prince Joffrey  and if you lay a hand on me my lord father will have both your heads on spikes. If you don’t believe me, fetch Septa Mordaine or Vayon Poole from the Tower of the Hand.” She put her hands on her hips. “Now are you going to open the gate, or do I have to tell the Queen of your behaviour?”

Nah, she's just feeling entitled. 

For all of the endless negative criticisms directed at Sansa for being spoiled and selfish, it surprises me that Arya gets a lot of pass for her numerous character flaws. 

agree.

shes not that different from the way sansa was in agot! she has haugthy behaviour & everyone gives a pass to it which i feel is wrong she made gendry feel that way too 

How else could she convince them that she was highborn? Surely she looked like a regular peasant after coming out of the sewers and going swimming.
It's not 'in her nature' to act like either.

How else could she convince them that she was highborn? Surely she looked like a regular peasant after coming out of the sewers and going swimming.

shes used as godess of kindness by people.. i am sure she heard of the word kindness 

She already tried being nice, telling them that her father was Hand of the King and asking them to let her in. They laughed, told her to get lost, and one of them (an adult guard) swung his fist at her. Not to mention that one of the guards initially threatened to give her "a clout on the head to help her hearing," and she simply said what they'd said to her. If the guards are willing to act that way to others, they should be able to handle it being done to them.

She already tried being nice, telling them that her father was Hand of the King and asking them to let her in. They laughed, told her to get lost, and one of them (an adult guard) swung his fist at her. Not to mention that one of the guards initially threatened to give her "a clout on the head to help her hearing," and she simply said what they'd said to her. If the guards are willing to act that way to others, they should be able to handle it being done to them.

^This^ I don't have GofTh at present or I would bring the whole scene in a quote.

With all due respect to OP, taking a quote out of context while disregarding what transpired in the scene isn't exactly fair. I believe Arya did what was necessary to get back home to the Tower. Being "nice" to the guards didn't work. Should she have left and scaled the walls instead?

I will share what's in the book just before that, as my copy was not eaten by mice and I kind of feel generous today. Here it goes:

The gold cloaks who had the watch sneered when she told them to let her in. “Off with you,” one said. “The kitchen scraps are gone, and we’ll have no begging after dark.”
“I’m not a beggar,” she said. “I live here.”
“I said, off with you. Do you need a clout on the ear to help your hearing?”
“I want to see my father.”
The guards exchanged a glance. “I want to fuck the queen myself, for all the good it does me,” the younger one said.
The older scowled. “Who’s this father of yours, boy, the city ratcatcher?”
“The Hand of the King,” Arya told him.
Both men laughed, but then the older one swung his fist at her, casually, as a man would swat a dog. Arya saw the blow coming even before it began. She danced back out of the way, untouched.

Personally I don't see anything wrong this. Arya is a highborn and since she grew up in a society like Westeros it's only natural to be a classist to a certain degree. Arya shouldn't be judged by this in my opinion, especially since she already tried to be nice in this scene.

Personally I don't see anything wrong this. Arya is a highborn and since she grew up in a society like Westeros it's only natural to be a classist to a certain degree. Arya shouldn't be judged by this in my opinion, especially since she already tried to be nice in this scene.

Nope sorry doesn't work as we can clearly see that's not what she was doing with context.  They tried to keep her from going home after being polite and then attempted to attack her.  Sansa wouldn't of had this problem because of how she looks and in general wouldn't and couldn't be alone in the city.

As for OP way to start your thread off badly with a disingenuous quote.

Nope sorry doesn't work as we can clearly see that's not what she was doing with context.  They tried to keep her from going home after being polite and then attempted to attack her.  Sansa wouldn't of had this problem because of how she looks and in general wouldn't and couldn't be alone in the city.

As for OP way to start your thread off badly with a disingenuous quote.

I am sorry, but didn't I say exactly the same? Unless you talking about the first sentences of my post. I was speaking in the broader sense not in that particularly scene. I should have been more specific I guess. 

im with you. She had a long day, was tired, and not in the mood to take any shit from guards that treated her like a peasant.

:agree: Giving the situation she was in, you can hardly hold her 'entitlement' against her. 

In general, she does not usually look down on those beneath her station e.g. playing with the 'butchers boy' and not holding Jon (or Gendry) in low esteem because they are Bastards. For Arya a persons status is not the first thing she notes about them or their defining trait so I would not say she is 'ill natured' in that sense.

Didn't you use to start a new thread, about Arya being ugly, bad, mean and ugly, every other day? By Jove, yes, it was you!

Even in the Minor Character's thread that I was reading just two minutes ago, she is on saying that Arya was a minor character!

So, I guess we know that this poster just has a hate-on for Arya.

Archived