UK Politics - hookers and blow edition

Maltaran

Most publicly traded companies are owned largely by large funds and investment vehicles, rather than a few dozen individuals. In that sense they have many thousands (or even millions) of owners. For many, if not most, large companies, it is the funds who have the most influence, and there will always be a significant number of then. Compare that to government ownership when the government or its appointed civil servants make all the decisions. So yes, it spreads ownership relative to state ownership. especially when you consider that the government is comprised of people who are obliged to show similar views for political reasons.

Similarly, for all large public companies (that is, companies that are traded on an exchange,) there is a very high level of visibility and accountability of both owners and directors. You probably have a better chance of naming the CEOs of the major banks than you do of the NHS, for example. Generally speaking, it's far easier to force out a CEO than a civil servant, even when you know who the civil servants are. 

The influence of the ordinary shareholders is so negligible as to be non-existent, saying they are all "owners" as if there is some sort of equality within the structure of a corporation is either incredibly naive or intentionally misleading.

And indeed one of the few effects that the masses of ordinary shareholders have on a company is to demand constant quarterly profits, which can have the negative effect of preventing major investment in products or services that might be a good thing for the company and its customers in the long term but means the company runs a loss for a certain period of time.

The influence of the ordinary shareholders is so negligible as to be non-existent, saying they are all "owners" as if there is some sort of equality within the structure of a corporation is either incredibly naive or intentionally misleading.

And indeed one of the few effects that the masses of ordinary shareholders have on a company is to demand constant quarterly profits, which can have the negative effect of preventing major investment in products or services that might be a good thing for the company and its customers in the long term but means the company runs a loss for a certain period of time.

So, firstly, I was referring not to individual ordinary shareholders, but to the large funds and trusts which represent a very large number of investors. It is those bodies which have the greatest amount of influence, outside of individual companies or persons with a large stake in the firm. I said nothing about equality, just about mass of ownership. 

Secondly, it is of course true that there are some significant mis-incentives that have emerged from the modern shareholder model, and in some cases, this has done real damage to companies. The best way to deal with this, I would argue, would be some targeted and subtle realignment of the incentive structures across the market. 

ETA: It is also worth noting, of course, that democracy has a largely similar effect. Governments are incentivised to provide short term returns to the electorate at the expense of the longer-term health of the country or economy.

Despite the disincentives, it is still preferable, I would argue, to have an industry comprised of 6 companies, even if they each only have one owner, than an industry of just one company. 

Sinn Fein were playing it cool, but it is hard to imagine a reelected Stormont looking very different to the current one in which case a unionist+nationalist deal would be necessary to form an administration

Too true. Just check out this graph of the make-up of Stormont following previous elections.

Then he is clearly deluded about our capabilities and what is achievable. Though I wouldn't say that's a first for the foreign policy of British Prime Ministers.

Who he exactly thinks will replace Assad I have no idea, considering that all of the groups fighting are unacceptable to someone in NATO, if he thinks the west can make a new government from scratch then I could point out a few very good examples from the 21st century alone of that failing horribly.

It's a jump to say that thinking Syria could do without both Assad and ISIL means he thinks we have the means to do so and instil an adequate, Western-Approved replacement.

Nobody think it's realistic that the West can achieve that. You only have to look at the ongoing chaos in Iraq (next-bloody-door) to know that's the case.

In the other Labour election going on, they've just announced Sadiq Khan is going to be their candidate for Mayor of London

Seems like a good choice. He's fairly likeable and he'll be up against Zac Goldsmith - the son of a billionaire and another Etonian. Even in London that should give him an advantage.

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to know who's going to lose the next election (if they make it that far......).

Andrew Neil reports that everyone accepts Corbyn has won. The only doubt is whether it's 50%+ on round 1 or just short.

Might it be possible that Jeremy Corbyn will neither destroy nor save the Labour Party?

Corbyn has won by a landslide.

Labour is too big to kill off. But, I could see a Corbyn-led party losing another 20 seats to the Tories, even if they regain some in Scotland from the SNP.

Archived