Cats

1 hour ago, Dejection said:

I recently saw some surprised comments on YouTube videos about how the cats in the videos allowed their owners to touch their stomach/belly; apparently most cats don't like to do that, something to do with instincts and vulnerability or something. It's weird because my 3 year old Persian loves having his stomach pet; even turns over to encourage it. Then again my cat is so good natured it's impossible; he has never, to this day, hissed at anyone or anything or even scratched or bitten anyone. I stepped on his tail by mistake once and he didn't lash out at me at all. I suppose neutering might have something to do with it but I'm pretty fortunate to have basically the friendliest and most gentle cat on earth. He also purrs like a motor engine and that's awesome.

My TK HATES having his stomach touched.  This makes it extra charming to me when he sleeps on his back.  He trusts me not to be an irritating shit while he's napping.  Ears only!

I often muse that our cat delights in setting a trap, by laying on her back, for anyone foolish enough to even try touching her belly:P  If one were to try touching her belly, even though it is fully exposed, they'd better be very serious about it because she certainly will be (or, better yet, they may want to be wearing a leather glove on the offending hand or something).  But, silly us, we fall for it every time.  Strangely, she seems to tolerate having her belly touched a bit more by the kids than adults.  

No, in all seriousness, while our cat will not suffer anyone to touch her belly very much she is gentle with her humans and pulls her punches pretty well.  The cat exposing her belly in the middle of the living room floor is universally accepted in our household as her indicating "Hey! I'm ready to play!"  And we are only too happy to comply;)     

2 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

My TK HATES having his stomach touched.  This makes it extra charming to me when he sleeps on his back.  He trusts me not to be an irritating shit while he's napping.  Ears only!

My cat like most Persians is fat (best part about them) and I can basically do anything with him; he doesn't mind it all. I can even rotate him really slowly across the smooth marble floor and he just chills. I don't get how he's so dog like lol.

My cat's fine with his belly being touched only when he's on his side. When he's on his back, he doesn't really want stomach contact and will quickly roll out of it. But when he's curled up on his side next to me, or on top of me, he's cool with any and all petting.

4 hours ago, Dejection said:

I recently saw some surprised comments on YouTube videos about how the cats in the videos allowed their owners to touch their stomach/belly; apparently most cats don't like to do that, something to do with instincts and vulnerability or something. It's weird because my 3 year old Persian loves having his stomach pet; even turns over to encourage it. Then again my cat is so good natured it's impossible; he has never, to this day, hissed at anyone or anything or even scratched or bitten anyone. I stepped on his tail by mistake once and he didn't lash out at me at all. I suppose neutering might have something to do with it but I'm pretty fortunate to have basically the friendliest and most gentle cat on earth. He also purrs like a motor engine and that's awesome.

One of ours loves the belly scratch so much it's ridiculous. Seriously, he loves it when we grab the fat on his lower belly and just roll him from side to side by the fat. It's probably his favourite thing, together with being raked - yes, raked with a regular garden rake. :lol:

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

One of ours loves the belly scratch so much it's ridiculous. Seriously, he loves it when we grab the fat on his lower belly and just roll him from side to side by the fat. It's probably his favourite thing, together with being raked - yes, raked with a regular garden rake. :lol:

Yeah that makes sense; rakes probably feel like a good brushing. And my cat has the same love for having his fat grabbed like its jelly :P

4 hours ago, Dejection said:

Yeah that makes sense; rakes probably feel like a good brushing. And my cat has the same love for having his fat grabbed like its jelly :P

Both of my kittehs would KILL YOU TWICE for this nonsense!  Ear scritches = "YES!"*

(*but only in appropriate settings when ears have been properly presented)  

ALL OTHER TOUCHING = "I EAT YOUR FACE!"**

(**unless I have something better to do, like go outside and lick my back leg)

• 5 months later...

So after about 8 months I've come to the conclusion Lucipurr is one of those cats who sees me as a convenience she keeps around that feeds her and changes her litter box everyday. Though I wish she was one of those lovey dovey cats that some of my friends have, (who will crawl in your lap and purr contentedly for hours on end while being petted) I understand now that's just not her personality. Whatever. I loves her anyways!

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 9:49 AM, kissdbyfire said:

^^ Yeah, Ghost does love a smelly tshirt too, but he prefers smelly trainers. He'll shove his whole head inside a smelly trainer and sometimes even sleep like that.

My brother's Maine Coon cat, Amy, loved his stinky shoes too!  Smelly work shows, ahhhh, how she loved them.

My little brother is visiting for a couple of weeks pretty soon, and he's bringing his cat with him. So I'm preparing for a few days of hell. My dog Lacy is actually pretty good at meeting new animals. As long as I'm the one that introduces them, she understands that the new animal is not prey. But this will be Lucipurr's first ever meeting with another cat. 

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

My little brother is visiting for a couple of weeks pretty soon, and he's bringing his cat with him. So I'm preparing for a few days of hell. My dog Lacy is actually pretty good at meeting new animals. As long as I'm the one that introduces them, she understands that the new animal is not prey. But this will be Lucipurr's first ever meeting with another cat. 

i dig that name..my devil cat's name in Pusifer...he is a night prowler who will ambush you in the dark...it makes me rewrite the greatest line from film...well maybe not the greatest, but

...time to dance with the devil in the pale lamp light...

My daughter's cat passed away very suddenly last Sunday. It was awful--it happened in minutes and there was no time to even take her to the vet. She was a stray that my daughter rescued from the streets last year, but she had been to the vet several times and was given a clean bill of health.

I looked up her symptoms and it could only have been a massive blood clot. She probably had advanced heart disease and congestive heart failure as well. 

I think my other cats knew she was sick. They never accepted her into the "tribe"--in the wild, they will drive out sick animals. But hindsight is 20/20, I suppose. They didn't take it well, even so. They hate change of any kind and I think they picked up on the mood in the house all week. Two wouldn't eat, and my little tortie started peeing all over the house. The vet gave her an antibiotic and put her on a urinary tract health prescription diet ($70 a bag for food). If that doesn't work, the vet suggested kitty Prozac. 

I once made fun of one of my co-workers for putting her cat on Prozac. Never again. 

I just said goodbye to my cat, it is so weird. If feels both like a betrayal and a final good gift.

He had been in decline for a while, thinking back. But things went rapidly in the last few months. First pneumonia, some weird growth in his abdomen, and some weight loss. The pneumonia got to a very heavy intensive care worthy case despite anti-biotics, but a very aggressive treatment seemed to help a bit. He did not stop losing weight though. And the growth in his abdomen was increasing in size.

He did have some more nice months, of treats, whipped cream, nice food. But kept losing even more weight, some coordination, and it seemed more and more himself and his comfort.

But fuck. It still hurts.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:20 AM, Nasty LongRider said:

My brother's Maine Coon cat, Amy, loved his stinky shoes too!  Smelly work shows, ahhhh, how she loved them.

My tabby will per on my running shoes if I leave them on the floor.  Always the right one.

6 hours ago, Seli said:

I just said goodbye to my cat, it is so weird. If feels both like a betrayal and a final good gift.

He had been in decline for a while, thinking back. But things went rapidly in the last few months. First pneumonia, some weird growth in his abdomen, and some weight loss. The pneumonia got to a very heavy intensive care worthy case despite anti-biotics, but a very aggressive treatment seemed to help a bit. He did not stop losing weight though. And the growth in his abdomen was increasing in size.

He did have some more nice months, of treats, whipped cream, nice food. But kept losing even more weight, some coordination, and it seemed more and more himself and his comfort.

But fuck. It still hurts.

My sympathies, Seli.  And, for what it's worth, I strongly believe it's a final good gift.

14 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i dig that name..my devil cat's name in Pusifer...he is a night prowler who will ambush you in the dark...it makes me rewrite the greatest line from film...well maybe not the greatest, but

...time to dance with the devil in the pale lamp light...

Very good. 

Though I wish I could claim credit for the naming of Lucipurr, I can not in good conscious do so. It was my younger sister who thought it up.

Hey everyone, I have a male cat whom had some urinary blockage issues last week. Long story short, I had to take him to the hospital for a procedure so he could pee again. He was diagnosed with feline urethral obstruction. It's been one week since the procedure. He's acting odd again today, bouncing from litterbox to litterbox, and trying to go to the bathroom in odd places (on a blanket in the basement and the corner of a room right next to the upstairs litterbox). The thing is, he's actually peeing this time, whereas he could not pee last week which is why I took him to the hospital. It's not just a drop either. My thoughts are that he's in pain while peeing and can't get it all out in one go. He's been drinking more water and eating more wet food the past 12 hours or so, and I think he just has to pee more than he's had to recently and it's painful.

I've called the vet and animal hospital I took him to and they agreed. Though did warn me to keep an eye out on him to make sure he is producing pee as he could become blocked again.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this or any thoughts? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I'm so sorry. I also agree that it's a final gift. You gave him a good life for as long as he was with you. :grouphug: 

Thank you.

It is really a really weird feeling that you keep checking around for attention or scritches. Such a huge space that such a small animal occupies.

Archived