The Brink

Ordos

I'm really enjoying HBO's new comedy The Brink. It's not the sharpest in political satire, but there are some pretty good laughs in it. It of course resembles movies like Dr. Strangelove and The Interview so I'm definitely watching as I'm obsessed with politics. Also Jack Black is one of my favorite comedians.

I particularly liked the part in episode 2 where the two fighter pilots are being scolded by the commanding officer for shooting down an Indian drone and immediately when he is done, the two pilots are ordered to to provide a urine sample! The timing of it.

My only complaint would be that the episodes are too short. Not close enough to 30 minutes long. Each episode could be stretched to hour long episodes and making it a mini-series instead. 

Anyway, I would hope there is a season 2 but looking at the ratings, sadly it does not look like there will be one. 

Great new show. Very funny, very savvy. Great cast in pretty much every role, even the minor roles. I hope it gets an Emmy nomination, though I watch so few comedy TV shows these days,aside from Silicon Valley and BBT, I don't know what it's going to be up against. I enjoyed Silicon Valley S2, but I though S1 was better.

Been watching Ballers too. No where near as funny, even though touted as a comedy. I'm interested so far, but if it's mostly going to be black football players getting into off field trouble with booze, dope, blow and girls, and Dwayne Johnston coming to the rescue to clean it up it will get old fast. There needs to be more about the hard nosed business side of things to keep it interesting. If a footballer's life off field has nothing else to it than that then it's really not worth a TV series. 

I'm enjoying this show, but I wouldn't call it great. It's fairly predictable imo. I've been watching Ballers as well and I feel the same way about it; been there done that. Both shows have actors I enjoy watching, so I record them, but they're not something I have to watch.

I'm enjoying this show, but I wouldn't call it great. It's fairly predictable imo. I've been watching Ballers as well and I feel the same way about it; been there done that. Both shows have actors I enjoy watching, so I record them, but they're not something I have to watch.

Predictable you say. Well the fighter pilots trapped in the Pakistani tribal region is unpredictable. Who would guess crazy antiques smugglers and what their role is in averting a war?

edit: Season 2 is confirmed according to their Facebook page.

• 3 weeks later...

OK the past two episodes were exiting and I'm still enjoying some good laughs but I feel that there are too many convenient and easy 'outs and escapes'.

I saw the preview for the next episode and knowing there is a season 2, I'm wondering weather there is a transition into a new political crisis or the one going on in this season will continue. I cannot say more because of the no spoilers rule and I might have already said too much in my earlier posts.

I thought this show was garbage. A lot of the humor was condescending and embarrassing, i just didnt like any of the episodes i peered in on. That said, i also bet it will be a big success because it's just the kind of humor that is often popular. Not for me at all. I found it very cringe worthy.

That was a very exciting season finale. Loved the move to a new political crisis as a result of the first one. I don't know if I liked it or not the use of friends walking away into the 'sunset' cliche. 

• 3 months later...

I thought the trailers looked funny but I never got around to watching it. The reviews I say all said it was pretty terrible though. I still probably would've eventually given it a shot (I just don't watch much TV), but not now.

I'm a bit surprised HBO did this, they almost always give shows a second season, even terrible ones, as a way to save face for the creators. And the ratings aren't important for them at all. On the other hand, HBO has a glut of comedies right now and not enough dramas, so maybe they've decided that any unnecessary comedy expenses need to get diverted over to the dramas in development.

I'd rate it a pretty solid, "meh." Just nothing really interesting or funny going on, but not really actively bad. I was pretty shocked HBO was willing to give it a second season. I'm actually somewhat happy it's getting canceled. When HBO is canceling really good shows like Looking and Getting On but renewing something as thoroughly mediocre as The Brink, you know something isn't right.

I enjoyed the show. Tim Robbins and Jack Black are great. I agree with others who said the TV show got reviewed too harshly. I pretty much watched this at the same time as watching Ballers and I liked Brink slightly more than Ballers, whereas critics gave Ballers much better reviews. Both shows are somewhere between OK and good. In the case of Brink I got a decent amount of laughs, even if some of them were cheaply bought.

Archived