Anyone else like Bran POVS?

I get the sense that Bran POVs aren't popular here, and that he is one of the more "boring" characters.

Am I in a distinct minority by saying Iike them a lot, (especially the ones in ASOS)? 

I didn't like them much in AGOT, because it was sort of sad how he became half paralyzed and had to detail with the aftermath of it. But even then I sort of liked it.

I like them partly because of all the northern lore that is revealed in them. The stories of the COF, the Night's King, the Long Night, The three eyed crow, etc. etc.

I find his comrades/friends easily the most likeable and just good-natured ones, compared to those in Dany, Jon, Tyrion or really anyone else's POV's. Master Luwin, Old Nan, Hodor, Rickon,the Reeds, Osha, Coldhands, idk, none of them really grate on me.

Also, I just think Bran is a very likable person, reminds me a bit of myself at 9-10. He is intellectually curious, kind and good natured. Aside from Jon, he is my favorite Stark child POV.

Sansa's can seem a bit too "damsel in distress" like, and though I feel for her, I feel she isn't all that likable in and of herself. Although I like Arya, and I know her POVs'are very popular around here I don't really care for them. It seems with Arya's, there is a lot of action that she witnesses and is involved with, but...at least to me... not a ton of character development. I think its because a lot of her friends ( Hot Pie, Lommy, BWB, Sandor, etc.) sort of pass through her life, and aren't more constant the way Bran's friends are.

Any other Bran POV fans?

I'm a huge fan of Bran. Ironically George RR Martin set out to tell a low-fantasy story with restricted magic, yet precisely by doing so, the most interesting part of the story for me is the magic. Particularly the North and the Others/COTF/etc. Jon/Bran are my favorite POVs for this reason. 

And, plus, this theme in the show when Bran meets the Three Eyed Raven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7T_JjXwFmo

Bran's ADWD are pretty interesting. But, I'll be honest and say that I find his pre-ADWD stuff to be a bit boring at times. But, I do try to pay attention to them because big things are in store for Bran.

I have always loved Bran and in ADwD I thoguth his chapters were particularly beautifully written and my favorite pieces of prose from the entire series.  I can understand that people think he is boring because he takes away from the main narrative (that's exactly what I think about Dany) but I have always loved Bran's character and where his story seems to be going in addition to the fact that I think some of Martin's best prose style is reserved for those chapters. 

I love Bran POV chapters, particularly after the Reeds are introduced.

How can you not love Bran's POVs, when his first line in ADwD is, "Are we there, yet?"

Firstly, I love backstory. That's what makes fantasy fun. It's a combination of history lesson (I love history) and mystery story, as you try to piece it all together. When i read TLotR, the two chapters I reread the most were "Shadow of the Past" and "The Council of Elrond". I almost wore out the appendices.

Secondly, I love the team, especially in ASoS. You would think a group like that would have no chance, but GRRM makes it work wonderfully. Even Bran himself is vital - he has knowledge the Reeds don't have, because of how his father raised him and because he listened to Old Nan.

And I'm a bit of a Reed fan. (That's a surprise, right?) Meera and Jojen's arrival at the Harvest Feast in ACoK is the best damn entrance scene in the whole story. So far. There's probably a reason for that.

I also like Bran POVs. Especially because of Bloodraven, when I realised that Three-eyed crow is actually BR everything in Bran POVs got so much more interesting for me. Bran will be important for end game and he was the first POV (ok, second) in the story, so I can't help but like his POVs. 

I enjoyed his descend into darkness arc. From the boy that wanted to be a knight, to the persecuted exiled, to the cannibal warg abomination and joining godhood to interfere with human affairs.

On my first read, I enjoyed his chapters but they weren't my favorites. On re-reads, knowing how important pretty much everything GRRM writes is, and how much I initially missed, I really look foward to and love his chapters.

I do a ACoK reread (more precisely, of the whole series) and I just finished the "winged wolf" chapter.

I like Bran. He may not be in my top 10, but I like him. And I think the way he's going is a very tough one.

I love Bran's POVS! The ones in ASOS are amazing and in AdwD I really wanted more of them, they were just awesome!

I am currently reading AGOT and after I will read ACOK (because I began with ASOS after watching the show) and I also love Bran's POVS!

They are full of details, curiosity, as you have said, and also, the intriguing magic or "something else" that the others characters lack of. He is not my favourite character but definitely one whose story I care a lot!

Archived