Is Gendry ever a factor?

PodrickMayne

Baratheon bastards are a dime a dozen. He's not even the best one. 

Certainly no Edric Storm...

To the OP, he's been toiling away for the BWB.

[Spoiler] The first chapter of WoW will likely be the Brotherhood saving  Edmure Tully. I bet we see Gendry with them. [/Spoiler]

Gendry is a metalsmith.  If someone is supposed to forge lightbringer it's gonna be a metalsmith. 

I can see Gendry ending up at the wall and a conflict between him and Jon Snow brewing because of their mutual love interest in Arya.  That is, if Jon Snow comes back from death, which would be cheesy.

Gendry is a metalsmith.  If someone is supposed to forge lightbringer it's gonna be a metalsmith. 

I can see Gendry ending up at the wall and a conflict between him and Jon Snow brewing because of their mutual love interest in Arya.  That is, if Jon Snow comes back from death, which would be cheesy.

But a love triangle and Gendry forging a magic sword is not? 

I'm trying to even but I can't. 

Yeah, I was wondering how Gendry will play into the end game, I mean true there are a lot of Robert's bastards running around but obviously there has been a lot more emphasis on Gendry compared to any of the others.  He's been a part of three POV character's chapters (Ned, Arya, Brienne), seems like that would suggest he has some important role to play.  And Gendry's ties to Arya keep that whole Baratheon-Stark bond alive. Robert kept going on about how their houses should have been bound by blood with him and Lyanna and then follows it with "Well, it is not too late. I have a son. You have a daughter", could be foreshadowing a different son and daughter than expected.... but who knows

I can see Gendry ending up at the wall and a conflict between him and Jon Snow brewing because of their mutual love interest in Arya.  That is, if Jon Snow comes back from death, which would be cheesy.

Hmm maybe Gendry forging lightbringer from his dead love like Azor did? I mean that would mean that Gendry was the second coming though right!? Wouldn't that be out of left field and hilarious

Hmm maybe Gendry forging lightbringer from his dead love like Azor did? I mean that would mean that Gendry was the second coming though right!? Wouldn't that be out of left field and hilarious

Are you suggesting that Gendry will stab Arya through the heart to forge Lightbringer?  I sincerely doubt Gendry is AA but it would be out of left field.

It's possible that Gendry learns about his true identity. Brienne might be the one to tell him. But I don't think Gendry could try to claim the throne. His father may have been the King, but his mother was a commoner (possibly even a whore? I don't know for sure). Not to mention, Gendry is uneducated. Gendry's role in the story might just be to forge a Valyrian steel blade (he trained under Tobho Mott).

It's possible that Gendry learns about his true identity. Brienne might be the one to tell him. But I don't think Gendry could try to claim the throne. His father may have been the King, but his mother was a commoner (possibly even a whore? I don't know for sure). Not to mention, Gendry is uneducated. Gendry's role in the story might just be to forge a Valyrian steel blade (he trained under Tobho Mott).

So, I paid attention long enough to read your signature and get frustrated with Benioff, but not long enough to realize I basically said what you did but in a less eloquent fashion.

I think Gendry's mum was a tavern wench, could be misremembering, but it'd make sense for Robert to be in that general area.

That would be interesting and the world could certainly use more Valyrian steel swords. Tobho Mott was one of the few who could rework Valyrian steel.

Gendry is significant for the Riverlands guerilla warfare. He is an armorer with a warrior spirit. He combines the two spirits in one role, and will develop into a figure like Tolkien's Beorn (between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings). GRRM works with many bear figures and themes in the books. Gendry is one of them, and actually the most well rounded, but this bear identity is hidden, just as his warrior spirit is often overlooked because he has a smith's armorer skill, just as his lowborn bastard Flea Bottom roots make people overlook his father's inherited fighting spirit. He's also tied to Arya, but whether he will remain this cannot be predicted. But yeah, I predict he'll become an important rebellion figure, and will remain with the BwB, most likely leading a faction of it, and he may very well surive the Others. The forest is his home, not some forge in a castle.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't understand the love affair people have with Gendry.  His biggest moment in the books was in ACOK.  He was barely in ASOS and mentioned once in AFFC, saving Brienne.  He's essentially a minor character who hasn't really been that important to the overall story arc of the series (outside of his traveling with Arya in ACOK).  I"ve read people speculate that he'll end up marrying Arya, forge mighty swords, be legitimatized and become head of the Baratheons......

Am I missing something (legitimate question)?  Why do people speculate that Gendry, a minor character who has been largely unimportant to the overall story of ASOIAF, will become anything worthwhile?

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't understand the love affair people have with Gendry.  His biggest moment in the books was in ACOK.  He was barely in ASOS and mentioned once in AFFC, saving Brienne.  He's essentially a minor character who hasn't really been that important to the overall story arc of the series (outside of his traveling with Arya in ACOK).  I"ve read people speculate that he'll end up marrying Arya, forge mighty swords, be legitimatized and become head of the Baratheons......

Am I missing something (legitimate question)?  Why do people speculate that Gendry, a minor character who has been largely unimportant to the overall story of ASOIAF, will become anything worthwhile?

Easy: his characterization and his relationship to Arya make him a very likeable minor character, and his skills give him enough potential to speculate.

That, and the show used a hot young actor to portray him. And even for book fans it's sometimes hard to get the show version out of your head.

Anyway... Gendry has a lot going for him:

- He's a Baratheon. Ok, he's a bastard, but he's still linked to Robert, who is a popular character and who WAS king after all. For people who don't think Stannis will make it, he's the best Baratheon to claim Storm's End. (Edric is only mentioned)

- He's a good guy. He seems to want to protect the weak, and develops his own sense of honor. And he was knighted, sort of.

- He has a funny relationship with Arya. Seriously, their interactions are hilarious. He may be able to help her redeem herself at some point.

- He's a smith AND a warrior. And the story needs both.

Very few minor characters have that much potential while giving out this "good guy" vibe.

Easy: his characterization and his relationship to Arya make him a very likeable minor character, and his skills give him enough potential to speculate.

That, and the show used a hot young actor to portray him. And even for book fans it's sometimes hard to get the show version out of your head.

Anyway... Gendry has a lot going for him:

- He's a Baratheon. Ok, he's a bastard, but he's still linked to Robert, who is a popular character and who WAS king after all. For people who don't think Stannis will make it, he's the best Baratheon to claim Storm's End. (Edric is only mentioned)

- He's a good guy. He seems to want to protect the weak, and develops his own sense of honor. And he was knighted, sort of.

- He has a funny relationship with Arya. Seriously, their interactions are hilarious. He may be able to help her redeem herself at some point.

- He's a smith AND a warrior. And the story needs both.

Very few minor characters have that much potential while giving out this "good guy" vibe.

???

OT: I have read a theory that he may forge VS, so maybe that will happen.

LOL, he was as much present in aSoS, asin aCoK, almost, just very much featured in the firs thalf of aSoS. He's not a main or secondary character, but he has an important supporting role.

Certainly no Edric Storm...

To the OP, he's been toiling away for the BWB.

[Spoiler] The first chapter of WoW will likely be the Brotherhood saving  Edmure Tully. I bet we see Gendry with them. [/Spoiler]

[spoiler]On the contrary, I think the Prologue of TWoW will show the failure in saving Edmure and Jeyne.[/spoiler]

Archived