Killing Cecil

Fragile Bird

You know what is really irritating me? This "how can you care about a lion in Africa when _________ is happening?" bullshit. What are we supposed be, one issue people? I can't care about an endangered species and care about police brutality? Since I care about women's reproduction rights I can't also care about immigration reform?

Absolutely, but in your hierarchy of outrage, this guy should be way down on your list.

Absolutely, but in your hierarchy of outrage, this guy should be way down on your list.

Commodore knows exactly how much people should be outraged over everything. Now excuse him while he goes to dig up more links on Benghazi.

Why?  Trophy hunting and poaching are serious threats to endangered species in Africa.  Asshole rich POS freaks like that dentist should be shamed and trophy hunting big game in Africa needs to end.  

One day, when elephants, rhinos, tigers, and lions no longer exist in the wild, it will be because people were not outraged enough.

There's a hierarchy of outrage? You mean, I can't be equally angry about this and something else? Is there some kind of points system I can use to work out what should be at the top of my "rage hierarchy"?

There's a hierarchy of outrage? You mean, I can't be equally angry about this and something else? Is there some kind of points system I can use to work out what should be at the top of my "rage hierarchy"?

Of course. I don't even understand this as a criticism. Obviously, some actions are better than others and some actions are worse than others. People make these judgments all the time. One's outrage should be properly calibrated to reflect the badness of the act. 

Commodore knows exactly how much people should be outraged over everything. Now excuse him while he goes to dig up more links on Benghazi.

Here's the difference. If what Republicans constantly squawked about Benghazi was true, people should be outraged. If the facts are true as as they've been alleged in the Cecil B. Decapitated media frenzy, people should be... well, far less outraged.

It just so happens that the facts are wrong in the former, but probably not the latter. 

There are a number of ways you can earn OutRaged® Points with our growing network of participating Sponsors. You can earn points for posting your OutRage and OutRaging in accordance with the Vast SJW Agenda®.

What Are All The Ways I Can Earn Points?

Earn Points With OutRage.
Earn points for every $1 wasted by targets of OutRage.
Earn points for posting your OutRage and other qualifying activities.

For example, you should be more outraged by how Robert Mugabe treats his people than a dentist who killed a lion without a permit.

In fact, Mugabe is counting on that outrage as part of his bread-and-circuses scheme. It's why he treats his lions better than his people.  

I would put the killing of Cecil on par with destroying a historical artifact (slightly worse given the pain and death involved). 

I'm just speaking in general.
When I see Samuel Dubose murdered on film but this lion shit makes it onto Jimmy Kimmel with the guys personal info plastered all over the media, I can't help but question the priorities of this beast of a culture that's built on nothing more than "who can we harass this week??? As long as we only bully and harass those we deem as bad then it's ok"

that's not really a useful analytical frame, is it, 'bully & harass'? can't it be rather that dude reduced to market value something that the vast majority of commentators regard as outside the scope of market rationality, and that this reduction is an affront therefore to sense & decency? they may of course be wrong in those beliefs, but it's hardly a matter of 'bully & harass' if they point out true facts about the situation and thereafter exercise the right to free expression regarding the merits of the offender and offense--correct?

When I see Samuel Dubose murdered on film but this lion shit makes it onto Jimmy Kimmel with the guys personal info plastered all over the media, I can't help but question the priorities of this beast of a culture that's built on nothing more than "who can we harass this week??? As long as we only bully and harass those we deem as bad then it's ok"

What you don't get is that police officers killing unarmed or mouthy or knife wielding or I-thought-he-had-a-gun suspects or teenagers is a weekly event in the USA.

Big game hunters killing protected lions in Africa is not.

Another boarder has pointed out that Cecil's killing has created more outrage than the murders of more than a dozen transgendered people in the last year.

About 14,200 people were murdered in the USA in 2013. How many of those murders caused national outrage? A dozen? Two dozen? Nope. Mothers killing their children, pretty girls murdered while on vacation, maybe. Most of the rest might get airtime for a day or two.

How many endangered animals were killed in Africa in 2013? Lions, tigers, panthers, elephants, rhinos, hippos, orangutans, monkeys, gorillas, apes, zebras, giraffe, rare birds, gazelle etc etc etc. How many of those got publicity?

Holy fuck, 100,000 elephants were killed by poachers in just three fucking years. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/08/140818-elephants-africa-poaching-cites-census/

But we can't spare some outrage for that?

If Cecil becomes a symbol representing outrage about the animal slaughter, I for one think that's fantastic.

One probably feels less outrage when Dubose's murderer is being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law while the Dentist is simply sitting at his summer home planning his next $50k endangered penis growing vacation animal killing vacation because there is no law protecting us against guys like this.  

that's not really a useful analytical frame, is it, 'bully & harass'? can't it be rather that dude reduced to market value something that the vast majority of commentators regard as outside the scope of market rationality, and that this reduction is an affront therefore to sense & decency? they may of course be wrong in those beliefs, but it's hardly a matter of 'bully & harass' if they point out true facts about the situation and thereafter exercise the right to free expression regarding the merits of the offender and offense--correct?

I find in this culture of bullying and harassment, it's very subjective if an individual considers it harassment or merely pointing out wrongs.

I.E. - if you agree with the person in question or side with them on a personal level then it's harassment and bullying
Regardless of any facts that are presented

If you disagree or disprove of the person then they deserve whatever comes their way. It's no longer bullying or harassing, even when death threats and going into hiding are involved, it's just heroically pointing out wrongs. I just don't buy it.

This just happens to be a case where a lot of people agree.
I mean even Donald Sterling and George Zimmerman weren't unanimously deemed public enemy #1 as much as this guy

Whether one is "exercising their right to free expression" is fairly irrelevant to the question of whether one is engaged in bullying and harassment (in the non-legal sense). Lots of constitutionally or legally protected conduct can be offensive, hurtful and personally and professionally damaging. Social exclusion and name-calling by adolescents in a peer group isn't legally prohibited conduct, but that kind of bullying can still be very damaging and hurtful and have significant consequences for the victim of the conduct. 

Really? He closed down his business, goes into hiding.
I'm not even sure what kind of family he has and to what degree they are suffering from this.
But after all that you feel confident in proclaiming that the only thing on his mind right now is spending 50K on a hunting trip???
That honestly makes sense to you???

He may be that vile that he's planning a 50K hunting trip right now but I don't see how any of us could know enough to proclaim that's what he is doing

Really? He closed down his business, goes into hiding.
I'm not even sure what kind of family he has and to what degree they are suffering from this.
But after all that you feel confident in proclaiming that the only thing on his mind right now is spending 50K on a hunting trip???
That honestly makes sense to you???

Does it honestly make sense to you that this guy is going to change his behavior?  Trophy hunters who experience public backlash almost always show up again with pictures of their newest trophy hunt.  This guy has had no reason to stop doing what he does, and is almost certainly thinking how terrible the public is when he's just a nature loving humanitarian involved in keeping the endangered animal population in check.  Likely the only thing to get him to stop trophy hunting is to remove the money flow that is used to fund these trips, though I wouldn't be surprised if his wack job peers have set up some sort of Go Fund Me campaign so that he can go on an even more expensive hunt.

Trophy hunters who experience public backlash almost always show up again with pictures of their newest trophy hunt.

Yeh, its why pitchfork mobs and public shamers have always been dangerous and very potentially harmful to whatever vague cause they are focused on and to any innocents that happen to stray into their crosshairs.

Archived