Books you've read more than 5 times

Fragile Bird

The only McCaffrey I've read was Dragonsong. It was awesome.

I can't recommend Dragonflight enough.

The rest of the series is usually very good but can be a bit boring at times.

Dragonflight is one fun 300-ish pages rollercoaster ride.

I've read Ulysses three times and been blown away in different ways each time.  i have, however, had my ass kicked twice by Finnegan's Wake to the point it stirs up the same feelings in me fire did in the Hound... ;)

Well, hats off! I've tried Ulysses and it wasn't for me, certainly have no interest in going back to it. However, I still respect and admire your accomplishment, my good sir :) 

Do people have unread books in their houses?  That's crazy talk.  Mine come in that way, but they don't stay in that condition for very long.

More than 5 times?  

My school textbooks.  They're nearly illegible now as they are soaked in my tears.

:lmao:

There was a point when I was 17 and 18 where I'd read The Wheel of Time books that were currently out (I believe it was up to Lord of Chaos at that point) and then turn around and immediately reread them.  

I did it again a few years later when I discovered ASOIAF.  I probably read the first three books a dozen times waiting for the next one.  And waiting.  And waiting.  And waiting.  

I've probably read The Long Walk by Stephen King 20 times and I just finished my 5th rereading of The Stand and IT earlier this year - I reread them once every four or five years.

I doubt I have read any books five or more times other than LoTR and HHGTTG.   Though have read some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books and Iain M Banks' Culture novels at least 3 times.

I've lost count of how many times I've reread Harry Potter, but I read at least one of them every year, usually more. Goblet and Phoenix have probably passed the 5 times limit. The rest shuldn't be far behind.

I reread quite often. I could easily mention twenty books I've read more than once, and that's just from the top of my head.

I reread quite often. I could easily mention twenty books I've read more than once, and that's just from the top of my head.

Sure, I probably read a couple of hundred books twice and dozens 3-4 times (especially when younger). But only very few more than 5 times. I think there is a threshold (at least for somewhat longer books) around 3 times or so.

Thanks, I took a graduate course on it alone, and I've taught it twice.

My hometown is the same New England town that Pip was from, where he played his tambourine on the town green.  When we had to read it in highschool I mentioned in class "pretty funny where Pip was from, and here we are reading it..." and neither the teacher or any of the students knew what I was talking about.  That's when I realized none of them had read it.  I mentioned it to the teacher at my graduation and she admitted she'd just read an abridged version and used borrowed lesson plans.

edit:dp

Cloud Atlas
Daughter of Fortune
and the etiquette book

besides that nothing else over four times lol

Yay, love seeing "Cloud Atlas" love (I hope?), though I've only read it twice.

My list:

- Harry Potter series
- ASoIaf
- As I Lay Dying (not out of love for Faulkner, believe me)
- The Book Thief (I can't over how good and underrated Zusak's prose is)

And I think that's about it, 5 times is too much

Damn. I've just remembered others. Thanks, Board Denizens!

All of Jane Austen I'm sure I've reread many more than five times.
All of Dickens, the same.
1001 Arabian Nights - tons of times.
Nancy Drew - ditto

How could I forget the Silmarillion? I carry it with me on trips so I can read it and go to my happy place. Heh.

Dorothy Sayer's Peter Wimsey mysteries - particularly with Harriet Vane.

The John D. McDonald "color" paperbacks - Tons of times.

That's all for now. More later.

\
Eta: Lots of Stephen King too - particularly The Shining and Salem's Lot.

ETA: The Bronte sisters' novels (added to Villette.)

ETA: Left Hand of Darkness and the Earthsea series by Ursula LeGuin.

ETA: Just remembered. As a kid I read and reread over and over the "A" book of the encyclopedia. That's all we could afford! I know a shit-ton about the abacus and Archimedes and aardvarks... and so on. :)

Archived