GoT Theory: What if Gendry is the black haired son of Robert and Cersei?

Millysandre

I know this theory has been tossed around and disputed. But here is my take of what may be a turn of events for ASoIaF. 

Cersei described her son as having been a black-haired beauty who died of a fever. Gendry does not remember much of his mother, except that she was blonde. Cersei could have had a strong dislike for her son since she also had a strong dislike for his father, King Robert. She would have probably fancied Joffrey - or mainly a pure Lannister to sit on the Iron throne. She could have sent someone to kill the baby Gendry by poison, thus causing a fever that could have potentially killed him. I believe that whoever was ordered to kill Gendry could have retrieved some sort of chemical that could have caused Gendry's fever, yet not cause him death. This individual would have then taken the boy and perhaps given him to another to raise him. This would make Gendry legitimate.

I believe that Gendry's story will be inspired by the story of Oedipus. I believe that in some way, Gendrywill come back into ASoIaF. Perhaps he will be granted legitimacy from Stannis (if he is still alive) because Stannis has no heir. Gendry will be convinced to claim the throne and that he will, in fact, retrieve it. He will also be convinced to find a wife and probably marry Cersei. If he is to marry Cersei, both him and the Queen dowager would have no idea of being mother and son. Eventually as their story progress, they will come to the knowledge that they are in fact kin, and Cersei will off herself.  This woman would have slept with her brother and her son.

Side theory: I believe that closer to the war between the world of men and the others, that Arya will join in allegiance with Gendry. They may or may not have a romantic relationship. However, I do believe that their friendship will continue in some way and she will help him in the matters of military or create some sort of assains guild in the name of Gendry. I think that when Daenerys makes it to Westeros it will be her against Gendry. Baratheon against Targaryen once again. Whoever is the successor will then have to face a couple of people and the others with a long winter ahead. 

Sorry for the repost - I was told to post this theory here instead.

This crap again. 

No. 

From the TV show:

Cersei:  I lost my first boy, a black-haired beauty.  He was a fighter too - tried to beat the fever that took him.  ... Robert was crazed, beat his hands bloody on the wall, all the things men do to show you how much they care.  The boy looked just like him.  Such a little thing.  A bird without feathers.  They came to take his body away and Robert held me.  I screamed and I battled, but he held me.  That little bundle.  They took him away and I never saw him again."

Robert and others saw the child get sick and die and get taken away.  The child was clearly dead, it didn't grow up to be Gendry. 

I think expanding Gendry's role as Arya's foil in the show was a mistake. Its lead to people thinking he's a lot more important than he is. 

Except that was in the books. They expanded him as a substitute for Edric Storm -- IMO an excelent adaptation, if someone asks me.

I think expanding Gendry's role as Arya's foil in the show was a mistake. Its lead to people thinking he's a lot more important than he is. 

I seem to remember Gendry having a fairly substantial role for Arya in the books... Though Mel didn't swoop in, leech his privates and tell him he was a king's bastard. But then, as far as I'm aware, Cersei didn't have that dark haired baby who died story in the books either (could be wrong)

Season 5 threw that away because of Maggy's prophecy. There are some continuity errors in the series, because they can not think of all the possible future situations and sometimes they change their mind.

I dunno, it's as valid a theory as the continuity-be-damned story of a woman who as a child was told by a witch that she'd have three children later have four.

This has bugged me before. Cersei talks of her first born, the black hair, his death but then the prophecy mentions only three and all golden haired children. Math was never my best subject but even I can see that doesn't add up. So a continuity error makes sense which probably means they won't bring the black haired baby back into play, Gendry or not.

However I would like to see his bicepts, I mean character, back again...

This crap again. 

No. 

From the TV show:

Robert and others saw the child get sick and die and get taken away.  The child was clearly dead, it didn't grow up to be Gendry. 

Right, that is why I re-posted this on the GoT forum instead. Perhaps you haven't paid to much attention to GoT. The directors have changed a couple of story lines here and there. I'm talking about the show it self. Not the book. 

Right, that is why I re-posted this on the GoT forum instead. Perhaps you haven't paid to much attention to GoT. The directors have changed a couple of story lines here and there. I'm talking about the show it self. Not the book. 

Answering the original question, yes. In the show, this could happen. In the show, anything could happen.

Nevertheless, I think the black haired baby in the show only served the purpose to tell us that any Robert-Cersei's baby was meant to be black of hair, and the fact the children are blond is an indication of Robert not being the father.

As a "clue", it was good. The problem is that it contradicted Maggy's prophecy. I doubt they will touch that again.

I seem to remember Gendry having a fairly substantial role for Arya in the books... Though Mel didn't swoop in, leech his privates and tell him he was a king's bastard. But then, as far as I'm aware, Cersei didn't have that dark haired baby who died story in the books either (could be wrong)

I always think that if something is in the show, that isn't in the books, then it's been added for a reason and is EXTRA important. So the dark haired baby is important.

Archived