Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

Well I think they should have think of this before because they PUSH two books in one season (Season 5) and it was BIG MISTAKE  Several story-lines were mess up and rushed through the story-lines. JUST BAD

Please tell me you're serious.  That can only be great for the show and the fans.

According to Watchers on the Wall this is happening, at least 8 seasons.  I do bet the show runners feel really silly for season 5 now.  Or HBO gave them a grimy deal by saying seven seasons and then upping it to at least eight when they already blew through so much book material. 

This news concerns me because based on the statements by Lombardo and past comments, it seems as if HBO convinced D&D to do one more season.  Whatever you think of D&D, throwing a pile of money at the showrunners to extend a show is never a good sign.  Also, it sounds like any post-show 'prequel' material that may be developed is up to D&D as well.  Ugh.  I don't hate the two, and probably have a higher opinion of them than most of this forum other than the knee-jerk show defenders, but they're clearly already burnt out on the material.  Find some fresh minds and let them move on.  Even with Nolan, I wouldn't want to see his fifth Batman film.

You could tell from the showrunner's own words they were in this for the shock value and didn't care for character arcs, it's been all downhill after the red wedding and the longer they stretch it out the worse it will be. Should have done 7, let someone else write it who isn't addicted to shock TV and finished it differently than GRRM.

Here's the Variety Link

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-8-prequel-series-1201553865/

Having worked at the studio that produces GoTs, I can say this is just like them.

"Hurry up and get it done, already! ...Oh, wait, this popular, winning awards and making us money? Let's make some more!"

I wish the decisions were long term and well thought out way in advance so we could have a deeper more coherent narrative. But often such things are year to year for a studio and how they and the larger corporate overlords are doing that year and what they can project into the next.

That said, I believe why season 1 was so good is they had many more writers and stuck to the source material. Still, I enjoyed Hardholme.

Does anyone know if they own the rights to the Hedge Knight series?

Or to the World of Ice and Fire?

This, If anything D&D are the people holding back the series from greatness.

Well I think they should have think of this before because they PUSH two books in one season (Season 5) and it was BIG MISTAKE  Several story-lines were mess up and rushed through the story-lines. JUST BAD

Actually season 5 left a lot of books 4 and 5 out. It skipped the Iron Islands and Riverlands story lines. I'm glad season 6 will pick those up. 8 seasons sounds about right.

To all the haters - D&D have done an incredible job with the show. Not perfect, but far far better than what could have been reasonably expected. Best TV show ever, by far.

Actually season 5 left a lot of books 4 and 5 out. It skipped the Iron Islands and Riverlands story lines. I'm glad season 6 will pick those up. 8 seasons sounds about right.

To all the haters - D&D have done an incredible job with the show. Not perfect, but far far better than what could have been reasonably expected. Best TV show ever, by far.

If only saying something would make it true . .. . .if only.

The show was good at first, but after becoming a big hit show D&D became sloppier and sloppier each season. I was occasionally annoyed by the show in S4, but S5 is where I stopped enjoying the show and it 90% because of the terrible writing.

with Season 6 possably including the Greyjoys, 8 seasons seems good.

I am just pissed they didn't think of this before season 5, so they didn't rush through the last of the book material we have and could have given George an extra year to get Winds out (hey a girl can dream!). 

its not that, George is getting annoyed with people saying "whens it coming out?" theres so much story that you can only put a small amount on TV screens.

Latest news on this according to the BBC is 8 seasons and possibly a prequel dealing with I would imagine Robert's Rebellion.

Definitely great news for fans and I'm very excited about a prequel.

:agree:

RR is one of those things I'd really love to see. A younger Tywin, Aerys.... that'll be great.

Archived