Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

Well producer can mean anything, and due to time he probably had very little creative input into the episodes he did not write.

For seasons 2 and 3 he was the story editor, yet for 5 that seems to be Dave Hill as staff writer, and if Cogman was still editing the scripts I'm sure we wouldn't have had lines quite like Bad Pussy and the scripts would be tighter with better more authentic ASOIAF dialogue. The more they deviate from GRRM the more they need Cogman as the bridge so I hope they get him more involved in 6.

I am still not sure of what you are saying. Bryan Cogman wrote two of season 5's episodes. David Hill wrote one.
Cogman is listed as a producer , tho he seems to be more involved than the other's listed as producer.
Not clear he is a story editor anymore, but seems he is sort of 'inner circle' when a season is outlined and the story conferences are held.
Cogman seems to be the only other person besides D&D who knows GRRM's 'rest of the story' since he was at the very last Santa Fe big powwow with Geroge.
In fact Cogman seems like number three in the production staff.

There's a lot of people complaining that clearly don't know how television works. Oh well, I'm happy there will be 8 seasons. I just wish it had been hammered in 8 months ago before they started filming S6.

Seems pretty obvious to me...

Gonna say this once. What they should have done. The first two seasons are literal; that's done. They were already splitting book three. So why not split each additional book, books 3-7. Thus twelve seasons, and George's work is dense, as dense as reality itself. They are really robbing themselves...

They can't plan 12 seasons. The most any writer/producer has ever, to my knowledge, planned out is 5. And even that is really pushing it.

Networks aren't going to commit to extra seasons before they are sure they'll make money. Most of the time they'll give you one or two seasons to start, and only agree to more when the ratings are good, and steady or increasing. Tell a network exec you want 12 seasons and he'll laugh you out of the office. Even hint that you want 12 seasons and you'll get nowhere.

Anything you plan, they want to see before you do anything. After they add or change what they want, they give you back the revised plan and tell you to do it or find a new job. The people who make the show never have full control of the show.

Making a tv show isn't as simple as a lot of people here think it is.

The Stark kids would be too old with 12 seasons, even little Rickon would be an adult. And I don't think the main actors will want to spend 12 years on the same show. Sophie Turner, Kit Harington, Gwendoline Christie, Emilia Clarke, ... all are getting interesting job offers right now. They could recast, but the show would suffer from that.

Seems pretty obvious to me...

Gonna say this once. What they should have done. The first two seasons are literal; that's done. They were already splitting book three. So why not split each additional book, books 3-7. Thus twelve seasons, and George's work is dense, as dense as reality itself. They are really robbing themselves...

ASOS is an action-packed book. It has a lot of set pieces and closes a number of story arcs which makes it relatively easy to adapt into two good seasons. The problem with giving AFFC and ADWD two seasons each (!) is that a good 60% of each of those books is world-building. I love that shit when I can just sit down with a mug of coffee or in the garden on a sunny day. But for television, man, that is dull to the nth degree. How many viewers want to watch Tyrion literally staring into space for 4 minutes, just watching the river roll by?

I kind of agree that decisions were made for season five which meant that too much material was compressed and that created storytelling problems. If it could have been strethced to 12 or 16 episodes and still covered most of Feast/Dance then we would be in a better place by now.

However, I will repeat again what I say all the time on this: we are phenomenally lucky to get anything of the quality of GoT on television. Fantasy and sci-fi TV shows usually get 20% of GoTs budget and look horrendous. GoT isn't giving us everything many fans want, but it's giving us a hell of a TV show that easily goes down as the best fantasy drama ever on TV.

If GRRM does end up writing 8 or 9 books, does that mean that he can change the plot? Which means that I can hold out hope for certain characters?

He can do what he likes. ASOIAF is Martin's baby, but don't expect him to change things fundamentally just to make a point. He'll make his decisions based on what works best for the plot. As far as I have read, both Martin and HBO know where the series will end up but the journeys each takes will be quite different from this point.

ASOS is an action-packed book. It has a lot of set pieces and closes a number of story arcs which makes it relatively easy to adapt into two good seasons. The problem with giving AFFC and ADWD two seasons each (!) is that a good 60% of each of those books is world-building. I love that shit when I can just sit down with a mug of coffee or in the garden on a sunny day. But for television, man, that is dull to the nth degree. How many viewers want to watch Tyrion literally staring into space for 4 minutes, just watching the river roll by?

I kind of agree that decisions were made for season five which meant that too much material was compressed and that created storytelling problems. If it could have been strethced to 12 or 16 episodes and still covered most of Feast/Dance then we would be in a better place by now.

However, I will repeat again what I say all the time on this: we are phenomenally lucky to get anything of the quality of GoT on television. Fantasy and sci-fi TV shows usually get 20% of GoTs budget and look horrendous. GoT isn't giving us everything many fans want, but it's giving us a hell of a TV show that easily goes down as the best fantasy drama ever on TV.

He can do what he likes. ASOIAF is Martin's baby, but don't expect him to change things fundamentally just to make a point. He'll make his decisions based on what works best for the plot. As far as I have read, both Martin and HBO know where the series will end up but the journeys each takes will be quite different from this point.

yeah but we saw from Martin's initial plan (when the book was a trilogy) that it was once very different.  As it has grown to 5 books the plot has altered substantially. When Martin gave D&D the plan for 7 books, can one not hold out hope that if he grows the series to 8 or 9 books, the series ending will change organically (rather than to make a point).

The Stark kids would be too old with 12 seasons, even little Rickon would be an adult. And I don't think the main actors will want to spend 12 years on the same show. Sophie Turner, Kit Harington, Gwendoline Christie, Emilia Clarke, ... all are getting interesting job offers right now. They could recast, but the show would suffer from that.

They should realize that without Game of Thrones, they would be nothing. Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Gwendoline, Emilia - no one would know their fucking names without the show. Kit wouldn't be a rising star, Gwendoline wouldn't be in Star Wars as Captain Phasma, Emilia Clarke wouldn't be a terrible Sarah Connor, Sophie wouldn't be Jean Grey. I hate when they complain about the show's hours. I'm sorry, but if they decide to leave the show, they will be forgotten quickly. Everyone except Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey and Charles Dance. 

Most television shows last about 2-3 years, that's all. Think of how many new shows start each year only to be cancelled after a few episodes have aired, or after a season. For anyone to think that AGOT should have been planned as a 12 season show just isn't being realistic, you are being a fan.

At the start of the books Bran is like 7 years old. So imagine his character on the show 12 years later, when in the books he has only aged one or two years? You can't recast 75% of your actors and expect anyone to continue to watch the show.

As for people complaining about their jobs, yeah, only actors do that. No one else ever complains about what they do. (sarcasm is my 1st language) 

It's gotten to be a cliché now but as someone said "GoT at it's worse is better than 90% of all the other TV viewing fare."
(Something like that.)
I don't think it is a real surprise, HBO took a chance on an alternate universe medieval fantasy (lite) story that's a bit off center and at an adult level and is now Big Buzz.
It's drama that the major networks can't even do , one reason why Amazon, Netflix ... are looking at original content. House of Cards could no have been done on ABC, NBC or CBS. I am surprised that Philp K Dick's somewhat esoteric Man in a High Castle has , so far, succeded on Amazon. Seems people are looking for something different and off center of usual visual narrative.

Now I feel even more annoyed that there is no Arianne in the show, and the whole Dorne plot has been made even worse since now their could've been time to do it in. I'll have to live with the fact that that excuse for a character who replaced Arianne and ruined any chance of happiness for Jaimie is there and not Arianne. AND WHERE DORAN MARTELLS AWESOME SPEECH! GAH!

As you may tell, this makes me a tad annoyed.

Now I feel even more annoyed that there is no Arianne in the show, and the whole Dorne plot has been made even worse since now their could've been time to do it in. I'll have to live with the fact that that excuse for a character who replaced Arianne and ruined any chance of happiness for Jaimie is there and not Arianne. AND WHERE DORAN MARTELLS AWESOME SPEECH! GAH!

As you may tell, this makes me a tad annoyed.

In the books Doran gives his speech only after the attempt on Myrcella's life. The Dorne plot ends with Myrcella being killed (replacing the attempt), the speech is coming, they're not going to cut it.

In the books Doran gives his speech only after the attempt on Myrcella's life. The Dorne plot ends with Myrcella being killed (replacing the attempt), the speech is coming, they're not going to cut it.

Myrcella might not be dead. It is possible that Bronn was given an antidote in that interaction on the pier. But it is also clear that Doran ordered the hit.

Latest rumors are that GRRM in on track to get book 6 out a few days before the next series and that there will be eight books...

There have been two books left in the series from the start.

Archived