Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

Handing a show over to new producers rarely ends well. Whether you like it or not, GoT is D&Ds interpretation or Martin's material. It will lose all coherence if handed over to someone else - look at how WoT turned out post-Jordan. It's so difficult to inhabit another artist's world. But hey, we could get lucky and Brett Ratner would be ready to step in!

I will also hold back judgement on whether 8 seasons is a good or bad thing. If Martin is back on form with his writing and TWOW and ADOS promise great material then 8 seasons would be fine. If he's still on his world-building kick (which I like in the books but it's hardly going to make for golden television) then stretching to 8 seasons could be painful. It could also mean storylines start getting strung out just when they appeared to be moving on which could frustrate viewers - I'm thinking of Dany in particular whose story arc has been just one long pregnant pause.

Let's see though. I'm an unabashed fan of the show despite it's occasionaly missteps (Season 2 and parts of Season 5). Whenever I think about what D&D haven't done so well I just remind myself that sci-fi and fantasy rarely get any airtime, critical acclaim, or serious studio investment for television. It still amazes me that a fantasy drama is a prestige TV show. Enjoy this while you can, it is highly unlikely to happen again any time soon.

Got a feeling that it's mainly related to GRRM's writing pace. He is to damn slow. He might have tWoW out just before S6, but where should the show get all in the info get from after that? Yeah there is a 'main line' but they try to keep certain details in it aswell. 

To all the haters - D&D have done an incredible job with the show. Not perfect, but far far better than what could have been reasonably expected. Best TV show ever, by far.

Totally on the wrong forum, but I'm with ya! Most people here think it's easy to divert from a book, adapt the story, keep all the plots in it, don't cut out any events and keep it fun and interesting for 10 hours straight. They don't realise that the show has less than a year for a story that GRRM took 5 years to WRITE. Because of course it's no problem to rewrite a 1000 page book with a lot of plots in it, to a entire script, film, produce, edit etc. in 1 year and not do any consesions.

Rather funny really, the people want tWoW to be released asap, but I bet if GRRM would've rushed tWoW in 1 year like the peopl of the show have to do, they would all have hated it. But still, there is no understanding.

If you can blame the showmakers for anything, it's their deadlines. They should've made the season 1,5 or 2 years apart, but hey guess who will be angry then; ALL the tv show watchers. They can never satisfy everyone. 

Got a feeling that it's mainly related to GRRM's writing pace. He is to damn slow. He might have tWoW out just before S6, but where should the show get all in the info get from after that? Yeah there is a 'main line' but they try to keep certain details in it aswell. 

Totally on the wrong forum, but I'm with ya! Most people here think it's easy to divert from a book, adapt the story, keep all the plots in it, don't cut out any events and keep it fun and interesting for 10 hours straight. They don't realise that the show has less than a year for a story that GRRM took 5 years to WRITE. Because of course it's no problem to rewrite a 1000 page book with a lot of plots in it, to a entire script, film, produce, edit etc. in 1 year and not do any consesions.

Rather funny really, the people want tWoW to be released asap, but I bet if GRRM would've rushed tWoW in 1 year like the peopl of the show have to do, they would all have hated it. But still, there is no understanding.

If you can blame the showmakers for anything, it's their deadlines. They should've made the season 1,5 or 2 years apart, but hey guess who will be angry then; ALL the tv show watchers. They can never satisfy everyone. 

Certain details? They literally condensed two books into one season with S5 and butchered or omitted almost every detail when there was a bottomless pool to pull from...so if they had two books of details and created their own because shock...why would they care about not having "details" moving forward. they're perfectly happy writing fanfic...this is totally in their wheelhouse.

According to Watchers on the Wall this is happening, at least 8 seasons.  I do bet the show runners feel really silly for season 5 now.  Or HBO gave them a grimy deal by saying seven seasons and then upping it to at least eight when they already blew through so much book material. 

Not entirely sure why they should feel silly.

It may not be all written yet but there is still a massive amount of material to get through from the stage they reached in the various AFFC/ADWD storylines until the end of the series. Three seasons worth as a minimum.

Certain details? They literally condensed two books into one season with S5 and butchered or omitted almost every detail when there was a bottomless pool to pull from...so if they had two books of details and created their own because shock...why would they care about not having "details" moving forward. they're perfectly happy writing fanfic...this is totally in their wheelhouse.

Given that there was only one season of plot progression (if that) for virtually all the key characters then they had no choice but to go through it in one season. 

The execution was lacking in some areas (Dorne especially) but that fundamental decision was almost already made for them.

I am happy about it since I love the show.
But I grieve for so much of the AFFC and ADWD material they had decided to leave out, like Tyrion's travels for example. So much great material for Dinklage as actor. And Aegon, Connington nd Arianne.....
Quentyn? Anyone can do a Quentyn and free the dragons but they could have given Ellaria the role she has in the books and found someone else for that revenge trip.
And I miss clever Tyrion and clever Myrcella excelling in Cyvasse, given the symbolic meaning this board game has in the books.

The point that they put two books in one season is totally different from the point that they 'changed'  the story. And don't tell me affc was such a great book to read. At least for me it was a bit of a drag (lot of open gaps to fill up) and I was actually happy that they skipped certain parts. But that it a personal opinion.

What bothers me the most is that people critize two party's; on one hand GRRM who writes 'good' in their opinion but way to slow, on the other hand the showwriters, who write fast enough (a season in a year is 'normal', but considering GRRM's plots and stuff it's fast), but complain about the detail, flawing info etc.

I just don't think it's a fair comparison. They had no choice, considering their schedule, to leave some things out early on (Lady stoneheart), and they tried to fix the storylines that were influenced by those decisions as good as possible. But that's very hard, because they had to make sure the story would still work out in the same way.

Look at season 1 and 2. Way less complexity in the books and less (strangled up) storylines, and those seasons were great! 

Oh and besides this all; the main problem people had here was the sansa 'rape', because D&D only did this to shock people. Where were these people when Dany was raped in the show? Oh wait, GRRM had written that aswell so in that case it's OK. What a BS. 

But I shouldn't get into that. The main point is that cutting storylines short and leaving out info means that you have to change different things aswell. It's called the butterfly effect, and with what I've seen so far, they did a good job. The main story is still going in the same direction, and be happy with that. If you want a awefull show adeption, read and watch 'Under the Dome'  and after that, come back. 

I can't rightly remember what conversations about how many seasons there were before season 4.
Seems GRRM had something to say and I can believe D&D did say something about 8.
The most definitive was when the question came up Red Carpet premiere season 4.
I remember explicitly Dan Weiss being asked (by Mr. Goofus) how many?
Weiss said "We are half way."
David Benioff piped up "Seven".
Weiss said "O yeah Seven."
Frankly I don't think they really knew at that point.
I can't remember all comments about number of seasons between 4 and 5.
I think the success of season 4 was on HBO's mind , so to speak.
Seems D&D started putting the limit at 7.
There is still that 'sort of' single panic interview with George where he implies that he thought he had more time for Winds (no comment) because and he implies he thought novels 4 and 5 would be two seasons. That's when the 'movie' was floated.
Somewhere before and after season 4 I seem to remember Hibberd starts riding this issue.
Then before season 5 we have the Hibbered interview with Lombardo who says (not quoting exactly here) that HBO is interested in more than 7 but are deferring to D&D. This is where the 'movie' gets mentioned again.
Also HBO CEO Richard Plepler was in this loop too.
Between season 4 and 5 there is a lot of GoT BUZZ, also the season 7 contract extensions.
Benioff waffles before season 5 with his 7.5.
HBO announces their 'better' tracking of viewers (apparently more than just the USA) numbers.
I think I see more GoT 'merchandising' , anyone else notice this?
I really think things were fluid during and after season 5.
A problem arises , GoT is busting HBO records, what's on HBO's horizon that can compete?
I don't think it is Westworld.
I think HBO (and Time Warner) speculate that GoT will generate more revenue , not just the show's, IMAX ? (maybe) and merchandising (Disney becamea zillionaire off selling gewgaws, tho those were not associated with R rated visual narrative!)
Push came to shove with the success of season 5.
I think the possibility was discussed but the decision was not made until just recently. D&D probably got an offer they could not refuse.
I now would not rule out a movie!

While there's something to be said for quitting while you're ahead; Dexter comes to mind, I'm glad they're thinking of another 3 seasons. Some things felt rushed and shoehorned this past season; having an extra season beyond what D&D proposed may help. 

OH MY GOD.

i can't believe this news, this is really exciting! after all the interviews about 7 seasons, i'd never have expected "at least 8"... AT LEAST.  (Though I  think it will just be 8.)

they can do more world building and add things in that they had plan to cut out, which will be good in the long run to have these things than not at all.

If only saying something would make it true . .. . .if only.

The show was good at first, but after becoming a big hit show D&D became sloppier and sloppier each season. I was occasionally annoyed by the show in S4, but S5 is where I stopped enjoying the show and it 90% because of the terrible writing.

And yet you keep watching and commenting on it.  Something doesn't add up.

I am happy about it since I love the show.
But I grieve for so much of the AFFC and ADWD material they had decided to leave out, like Tyrion's travels for example. So much great material for Dinklage as actor. And Aegon, Connington nd Arianne.....
Quentyn? Anyone can do a Quentyn and free the dragons but they could have given Ellaria the role she has in the books and found someone else for that revenge trip.
And I miss clever Tyrion and clever Myrcella excelling in Cyvasse, given the symbolic meaning this board game has in the books.

We know the Ironborn are back in 6, I would not rule out the Griff stuff, if they play a role in the end game.
They still have the problem of pounding 1000 pages of prose into a 540 min. bag.

7 seasons is perfect,

pushing for 8/9 seasons and we will end up with most of the cast in late 30s,40s & 50s,not to mention dragging of series conclusion with pointless side stories.i hope that D& D will stand strong on seventh as final season, as for prequel:whatever

I know it seems to some that Lombardo is phrasing this as a prequel will only be in the hands of D&D but I don't read it that way. I think it's more he wants to give them first dibs. Like, I'm sure Cogman could also do it.

I don't want RR - I want TDOTD. After hearing about them all the time - we need us some Targs!! And it's got all the makings of a great show - interesting characters, serious family conflicts, action, drama... And dragons!!! So many dragons!!

IIRC correctly, Martin still owns the rights to all non-ASOIAF material.

That is correct, however, HBO owns the tv rights to Westeros.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html

I am frequently asked whether or not there are any plans for Dunk & Egg movies or television shows. There has been interest, yes, but the rights situation is complicated. Film and television rights to the characters and the three published Dunk & Egg stories remain with me at present... but HBO, when acquiring the rights to the SONG OF ICE & FIRE novels, also acquired film and television rights to the world of Westeros. So if we did Dunk & Egg with anyone else, we would need to remove all the references to House Targaryen, the Iron Throne, etc... not completely impossible, but certainly undesireable. Whereas if HBO decided they wanted to make a Dunk & Egg miniseries or TV movies, they'd first need to buy the stories. That's a much more attractive proposition for all concerned, I think...

This news really isn't all that surprising.  I called this last year when the ratings exploded.  People were so stuck on the seven seasons statements D&D were making two or three years ago.  If you think about what really drives this (boat loads of cash) eight seasons for ASOIAF makes sense.  At that point I wouldn't be surprised if D&D stepped down and someone else stepped in for other stories in Westeros.

Welcome to the age of TV and Movie franchises ladies and gentlemen.

The way I see it this was always a possiblity considering that for ages dan and david said they want to stick to 7 but would go to 8 if needed and considering all the rumors regarding TWOW releasing soon D&D prob got a look at the book and realized there was so much they have to split it in 2 a la Storm Of Swords, S 3/4, although who knows i may be wrong.

The way I see it this was always a possiblity considering that for ages dan and david said they want to stick to 7 but would go to 8 if needed and considering all the rumors regarding TWOW releasing soon D&D prob got a look at the book and realized there was so much they have to split it in 2 a la Storm Of Swords, S 3/4, although who knows i may be wrong.

I look at it as if they have three more seasons to fit in two very large books.

Archived