Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

The problem is that HBO should have given D&D this information after season 3, they knew allready then that the show was extremely popular, and on the rising.. if they had known after season 3 they had 10 more hours of content they could put in.. it would have made everything easier for them, they could put in Lady Stone Heart, as an aftermath of The red wedding and had the Kingsmoot but thats "if they had known" ..
People hating on D&D, id like too see their draft of planning George RR Martins A song of ice and fire work in the 70 hours they had planned. WITH all plot points.. it's impossible, yes the showrunners has made some mistakes, (Dorne and ser Barristan) but they are still making one of, if not THE best TV show right now..

I think HBO may have been entertaining the idea after season 3 but even with the record breaking it was not that BIG of a record. After season 4 topped season 3 did start really start to stick. I think a big factor is the BUZZ, and as I have said merchandizing*. HBO has never had anything like this on their docket, some great and popular shows but not a buzz-show.
Fold in that , right now, has some good shows ... but True Detective has flamed out this season, West World does not sound like a box office
phenom, so keep the goose. I am sure the idea has been spinning for year but HBO probably just put the hammer down.

*I don't mean the merchandising is Star Wars level ... it could take a whack at it.
Funny to see 'action figures' for an R rated show! (Even knowing adults buy these , these days.)

Okay, this is great but now I'm wondering what this means for characters and storyline they previously dropped.

Faegon? Please! Varys could help him while Daenerys is still captured. He will look absolutely hot and we'll see Jon Con and the Duck Knight and Septa Lemore. To bad th journey on the Rhoyne (one of the few glorious moments in the mire that was DWDFFC) was wasted on  Ser Niceguysyndrome....though chances are we'll just forget about Ser Friendzone's Greyscale, they seem to have by the final episode if S5.

In Dorne Arianne Martel comes back from her extended trip to Lys/the Summer Isles/Doran's closet of forgotten heirs.She chews out Elia and the Sandsnakes or being so stupid and un-elegant and then enlists them for her plan.

Sansa gets her Vale storyline and the....unpleasantness... we saw in WF will never be spoken of again.

Myrcella might survive her poisoning (but will be scarred) and gets a filler arc.

Stannis might survive and....stands around in the snow....there really isn't much to do for him anymore.

Lady Stoneheart? Is it possible after all this time?

King's Moot and extended Ironborn Storyline. Please no :frown5:

And now it becomes completely wishfullfilment:

S6 EP 1: It turns out the whole of last season was just a vision Mellisandre saw in the flames and nothing that happened in it is ever mentioned again...

Sansa gets her Vale storyline and the....unpleasantness... we saw in WF will never be spoken of again.

This is the biggest square wave , I can see Brienne going north in Winds, I can see Selmy die in the breaking the siege of Meereen in Winds, I can see Mance die in Winds, but Sansa has passed into a different ASoIaF universe even if she comes back to the Vale.
(Stannis's fate may be true in Winds, tho it seems weird!)

I don't think how they can have an additional season after removing fAegon and destroying Stannis.

I really am rather mystified by comments like this.

I have read allot of fantasy series in my time and the story of ASOIAF seems, to quote Churchill, "this is not the end, nor the beginning of the end but it is the end of the beginning".

Is it because people cannot see it written down that they cannot see just how material is still likely to be needed.

The resolution of the many cliff hangers introduced in ADWD are still only, IMO the end of the middle segment of the story. Once the battles of fire and ice are resolved, and the fate of Cersei, Jon, Maegery, Brienee and Jamie etc are determined then we will likely have a second dance of dragons and then the end game of the story, that story of ice and fire introduced so long ago now.

In terms of the show yes they will use some of the remaining material from AFFC/ADWD. I imagine they will quickly introduce more key ironborn before rapidly bringing them to the end of their AFFC/ADWD storyline and go into the key thing they bring to the story. I imagine as well that they wont have the second dance of dragons that the books will but even so I imagine they will still have three crammed seasons.

I think HBO may have been entertaining the idea after season 3 but even with the record breaking it was not that BIG of a record. After season 4 topped season 3 did start really start to stick. I think a big factor is the BUZZ, and as I have said merchandizing*. HBO has never had anything like this on their docket, some great and popular shows but not a buzz-show.
Fold in that , right now, has some good shows ... but True Detective has flamed out this season, West World does not sound like a box office
phenom, so keep the goose. I am sure the idea has been spinning for year but HBO probably just put the hammer down.

*I don't mean the merchandising is Star Wars level ... it could take a whack at it.
Funny to see 'action figures' for an R rated show! (Even knowing adults buy these , these days.)

I think Blu Ray/DVD sales must be very high as well. A show like Game of Thrones will sell allot more of these than more bog standard fare.

I note for example that season 4 topped the charts on its release and, in its first week at any rate, the majority of sales were the more expensive Blu ray version.

Where's all the discussion of D&D leaving come from? Is this an assumption that they don't want to do 8? They probably don't but I can't imagine they'd quit over one extra year.

Wishful thinking on the part of those who are still pissed off about Sansa.

3 more seasons of horrible plot holed immature purposely changed story youtube shock moment stannis hating awful fight choreography filled crap.

No thanks! I'll enjoy season 1 - 4 and forget there ever was a 5th season.

Calm down! They're done with "Stannis hating" and you can enjoy hating what's left.

I never liked the character of Stannis but I enjoyed his contribution to the story since he is one of the most complex characters. And Stephen Dillane was so great. I wished they had kept Stannis in for another season.

IIRC correctly, Martin still owns the rights to all non-ASOIAF material.

Do you mean GRRM sold all rights to ASOIAF books?

Or the ASOIAF universe?

Which would include include the Hedge Knight Dunk & Egg stories and The World of Ice and Fire?

Never mind.

Just saw this.

That is correct, however, HBO owns the tv rights to Westeros.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html

I am frequently asked whether or not there are any plans for Dunk & Egg movies or television shows. There has been interest, yes, but the rights situation is complicated. Film and television rights to the characters and the three published Dunk & Egg stories remain with me at present... but HBO, when acquiring the rights to the SONG OF ICE & FIRE novels, also acquired film and television rights to the world of Westeros. So if we did Dunk & Egg with anyone else, we would need to remove all the references to House Targaryen, the Iron Throne, etc... not completely impossible, but certainly undesireable. Whereas if HBO decided they wanted to make a Dunk & Egg miniseries or TV movies, they'd first need to buy the stories. That's a much more attractive proposition for all concerned, I think...

Personally, I want to see more of The World of Ice and Fire...meaning the Rest of the World!

I want to see Aashai, Ying Tee, the Summer Isles, Carcosa, Southros, Rhoynar, etc

Really I don't need to see what we already know. Robert's Rebellion we all know and keep getting more details about.

I want stories of other characters in this universe going to other places i.e. Adventures of Lomas Longstrider, etc.

I remember when people were oh-so-sure that D&D's passing remarks about 7 seasons meant it was absolutely sure, and ignored Benioff's on-camera remark about "at least seven" at the season 4 premiere. :P

At bare minimum, the show ends in 2018 with Season 7 - Part 2. But it sounds just as possible that it'll be a proper Season 8. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

It does feel like the uncertainty about it all has negatively impacted the construction of the show.

As to a potential prequel, we'll see. Thing is, there are other people who can do what D&D do. And yes, Bryan Cogman leaps to mind as the person who would seem the most obvious show runner, basically being their closest collaborator on the production from day one. (Not his fault he got the short end of the stick when it came to season 5 episode writing assignments, either.) Of course, he has a burgeoning screenwriting career, so who knows if he'd be available in such an eventuality.

Bryan Cogman was not the staff writer for most of the episodes, if not all, of season 5, and I think that showed. It was Dave Hill. For season 6 it is essential they get Cogman on board to script edit every episode to get the writing back on track.

The direction and staging of big scenes such as Hardhome, Walk of Shame and Dany riding Drogon were largely very well done so it is really the writing that needs to be worked on and kept tight and in the spirit of the first few seasons.

Bryan Cogman was not the staff writer for most of the episodes, if not all, of season 5, and I think that showed. It was Dave Hill. For season 6 it is essential they get Cogman on board to script edit every episode to get the writing back on track.

The direction and staging of big scenes such as Hardhome, Walk of Shame and Dany riding Drogon were largely very well done so it is really the writing that needs to be worked on and kept tight and in the spirit of the first few seasons.

Cogman wrote 2 and Hill wrote 1.
Cogman has played a bigger role as a producer as time has gone along.

Could we see season 6 and, say have it cover TWOW for the most part. Then skip one year and during that year have a Roberts rebellion or Dunk and Egg 10 episode special so GRRM can get ahead on ADOS?

I would think no due to aging and contracts of AGOT actors but who knows.

Could we see season 6 and, say have it cover TWOW for the most part. Then skip one year and during that year have a Roberts rebellion or Dunk and Egg 10 episode special so GRRM can get ahead on ADOS?

I would think no due to aging and contracts of AGOT actors but who knows.

I doubt we will see ADOS before 2020 and even then I doubt it will be the last book so what will be the point? 

Cogman wrote 2 and Hill wrote 1.
Cogman has played a bigger role as a producer as time has gone along.

Well producer can mean anything, and due to time he probably had very little creative input into the episodes he did not write.

For seasons 2 and 3 he was the story editor, yet for 5 that seems to be Dave Hill as staff writer, and if Cogman was still editing the scripts I'm sure we wouldn't have had lines quite like Bad Pussy and the scripts would be tighter with better more authentic ASOIAF dialogue. The more they deviate from GRRM the more they need Cogman as the bridge so I hope they get him more involved in 6.

Archived