Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On Shy Maid, Tyrion is given the task of transcribing all he knows of dragons:

Tyrion had read much and more of dragons through the years. The greater part of those accounts were idle tales and could not be relied on, and the books that Illyrio had provided them were not the ones he might have wished for. What he really wanted was the complete text of The Fires of the Freehold, Galendro's history of Valyria. No complete copy was known to Westeros, however; even the Citadel's lacked twenty-seven scrolls. They must have a library in Old Volantis, surely. I may find a better copy there, if I can find a way inside the Black Walls to the city's heart.
He was less hopeful concerning Septon Barth's Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History. Barth had been a blacksmith's son who rose to be King's Hand during the reign of Jaehaerys the Conciliator. His enemies always claimed he was more sorcerer than septon. Baelor the Blessed had ordered all Barth's writings destroyed when he came to the Iron Throne. Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barth's work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.
Is this hidden book what The Alchemist who killed Pate was looking for???? The Death of Dragons - doesn't that sound like a book the dragon-hating faceless men would kill for? It sounds very much like a How To guide on the subject of dragon slaying. 

On Shy Maid, Tyrion is given the task of transcribing all he knows of dragons:

Tyrion had read much and more of dragons through the years. The greater part of those accounts were idle tales and could not be relied on, and the books that Illyrio had provided them were not the ones he might have wished for. What he really wanted was the complete text of The Fires of the Freehold, Galendro's history of Valyria. No complete copy was known to Westeros, however; even the Citadel's lacked twenty-seven scrolls. They must have a library in Old Volantis, surely. I may find a better copy there, if I can find a way inside the Black Walls to the city's heart.
He was less hopeful concerning Septon Barth's Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History. Barth had been a blacksmith's son who rose to be King's Hand during the reign of Jaehaerys the Conciliator. His enemies always claimed he was more sorcerer than septon. Baelor the Blessed had ordered all Barth's writings destroyed when he came to the Iron Throne. Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barth's work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.
Is this hidden book what The Alchemist who killed Pate was looking for???? The Death of Dragons - doesn't that sound like a book the dragon-hating faceless men would kill for? It sounds very much like a How To guide on the subject of dragon slaying. 

A lot of folks think so. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Davos II, Dance 15

So, the George saw more profit in black (cloves) and red (saffron) than in having Daenerys head directly to Westeros from Qarth.

Did we ever come to an agreement which color saffron was?  I believe the discussion occurred just before The New Forum Switch, and is lost. 

Anywho, if we can conclude that saffron could be yellow/gold, I believe the following scene foreshadows something involving Viserion:

"The clouds in the sky were aglow; pink and purple, maroon and gold, pearl and saffron. One looks like a Dragon."

This scene occurs in Tyrion POV aboard the Shy Maid.  Dawn has just come, and Tyrion is observing the sky.  The dawn sky is often described as pink and purple throughout the series.  One of Daenerys' Meereenese advisors (Reznak mo Reznak, I believe) habitually wears maroon and gold robes and House Plumm's sigil is purple and gold, so I'm thinking this scene foreshadows something that happens in Meereen involving Viserion and one of these two men.

48 minutes ago, Franziska said:

I just realized. Lady Dustin was somewhere around 20 when her husband died. Why did she never remarry? Did she have the hope to marry Benjen Stark?

Benjen joined the NW a few months after Ned's return from the war. Nor does she ever express any feelings for the man, or any lost hope of marrying him. So, I highly doubt it.

She had just lost two men who had been very important to her. Her former loved, Brandon Stark, had been executed, and her husband, whom she seems to have genuinely cared about, had died towards the end of the war, and she would need time to mourn them both. As well, she was now the ruler of Barrowton, and there was no one who could force her to marry again.

19 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Benjen joined the NW a few months after Ned's return from the war. Nor does she ever express any feelings for the man, or any lost hope of marrying him. So, I highly doubt it.

She had just lost two men who had been very important to her. Her former loved, Brandon Stark, had been executed, and her husband, whom she seems to have genuinely cared about, had died towards the end of the war, and she would need time to mourn them both. As well, she was now the ruler of Barrowton, and there was no one who could force her to marry again.

The Ned could have. It I

Weird--can't back space...

Isn't odd she was not subjected to the pressure Donella was?

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Did we evytr come to jsn agreement which color saffron was?  I believe the discussion occurred just before The New Forum Switch, and is lost. 

Anywho, if we can conclude that saffron could be yellow/gold, I believe the following scene foreshadows something involving Viserion:

"The clouds in the sky were aglow; pink and purple, maroon and gold, pearl and saffron. One looks like a Dragon."

This scene occurs in Tyrion POV aboard the Shy Maid.  Dawn has just come, and Tyrion is observing the sky.  The dawn sky is often described as pink and purple throughout the series.  One of Daenerys' Meereenese advisors (Reznak mo Reznak, I believe) habitually wears maroon and gold robes and House Plumm's sigil is purple and gold, so I'm thinking this scene foreshadows something that happens in Meereen involving Viserion and one of these two men.

The saffron IN my spice rack IS red. When I cook rice the saffron turns IT yellow.

(WTF IS up with the crazy jump after typing a little "I" or IS IT just me? 

The poppy made him sleep and while he slept they leeched him to drain of the bad blood. Or so he surmised, by the leech marks on his arms when he woke.

This is from the second Davos chapter in ASOS and now I am certain Melisandre payed him a visit in his cell. I just wonder what she wants to do with Davos´ blood, I mean, how much is smuggler blood worth in her definition?

But well, later in the same chapter she wants to have a shadow baby with him, so never mind.

(My first post and it would be very nice if someone could show me how to use quotes from the books:rolleyes:)

The poppy made him sleep and while he slept they leeched him to drain of the bad blood. Or so he surmised, by the leech marks on his arms when he woke.

This is from the second Davos chapter in ASOS and now I am certain Melisandre payed him a visit in his cell. I just wonder what she wants to do with Davos´ blood, I mean, how much is smuggler blood worth in her definition?

But well, later in the same chapter she wants to have a shadow baby with him, so never mind.

(My first post and it would be very nice if someone could show me how to use quotes from the books:rolleyes:)

https://asearchoficeandfire.com

:)

On 1/15/2016 at 6:29 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Lady Walda wrote from the Twins almost every day, but all the letters were the same.

Arya X, Clash 64

The letter is a coded message from Walder, informing Roose that Tywin has agreed to legitimize Ramsay in return for his betrayal of Robb Stark.

This is very interesting, but if all the letters were the same, what was different about this copy that made Roose finally act?  Microdot?

3 minutes ago, Warm Pie said:

This is very interesting, but if all the letters were the same, what was different about this copy that made Roose finally act?  Microdot?

I don't think the George mentioned each letter was the smell word for word, but that they were the same in tone.

11 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Did we ever come to an agreement which color saffron was?  I believe the discussion occurred just before The New Forum Switch, and is lost. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The saffron IN my spice rack IS red. When I cook rice the saffron turns IT yellow.

(WTF IS up with the crazy jump after typing a little "I" or IS IT just me? 

I don't know if we settled on it, but the COLOUR saffron is generally YELLOW. The SPICE is RED. The FLOWER is PURPLE. So in that passage it means yellow, as it's about colours.

I've actually looked this up myself for my own novel where a noble house produces a large amount of spices, saffron yellow being the main colour on their coat of arms.

Each of the seven towers of the Eyrie is named after one of the seven

Alayne’s apartments in the Maiden’s Tower were larger and more lavish than the little bedchamber where she’d been kept when Lady Lysa was alive.

(AFfC, Ch.23 Alayne I)

Catelyn, AGOT:

“It should have been you,” she told him. Then she turned back to Bran and began to weep, her whole body shaking with the sobs. Jon had never seen her cry before.

Sansa, AGOT:

The last fortnight of their journey had been a misery.

Sansa blamed Arya and told her that it should have been Nymeria who died.

And Arya was lost after she heard what had happened to her butcher's boy. Sansa cried herself to sleep, Arya brooded silently all day long, and Eddard Stark dreamed of a frozen hell reserved for the Starks of Winterfell.

10 hours ago, Aniel said:

I don't know if we settled on it, but the COLOUR saffron is generally YELLOW. The SPICE is RED. The FLOWER is PURPLE. So in that passage it means yellow, as it's about colours.

I've actually looked this up myself for my own novel where a noble house produces a large amount of spices, saffron yellow being the main colour on their coat of arms.

I can live with that. 

Archived