Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Sounds very similar to how Tyrion kills Shae, with the Hand's chain.

It's not quite "wench" but Jaime does call Cersei a "whore" in ADwD:

To Jonos Bracken's lover: Jaime gave a shrug. "My apologies if I mistook you for something you're not. My little brother has known a hundred whores, I'm sure, but I've only ever bedded one."

My understanding of the term wench is a woman who, um... likes to have a good time, but I don't think she would be considered as a whore or a prostitute. 

2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

My understanding of the term wench is a woman who, um... likes to have a good time, but I don't think she would be considered as a whore or a prostitute. 

Well, I consider both as insulting terms for woman.  So, that was my thinking.

^I suggest you guys listen to Radio Westeros' episodes about Jaime/Cersei and Brienne.  

There are a lot of hints to Jaime valonquaring Cersei in a weird parallel to Tyrion/Shae (for hands of gold are always cold, diddi dadda).

He also thinks about strangling Mama Westerling with her gold necklace, and he HAS a golden hand now.

So the wench he'll be strangling won't be Brienne (duh), but might be Cersei, in an "organic twist".

In GoT, after Lady's execution Sansa cries, Arya broods, and Ned dreams of a frozen Hell reserved for the Starks.

What pacts did the Kings of Winter make and with whom?

3 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Well, I consider both as insulting terms for woman.  So, that was my thinking.

Even the way Oberyn uses "randy wench" to describe his paramour?  I always thought that was kinda sexy and sweet. That's just between two lovers though...

Ser Waymar Royce:

The Other’s parry was almost lazy. When the blades touched, the steel shattered.

A scream echoed through the forest night, and the longsword shivered into a hundred brittle pieces, the shards scattering like a rain of needles. Royce went to his knees, shrieking, and covered his eyes. Blood welled between his fingers.

Royce’s body lay facedown in the snow, one arm outflung. The thick sable cloak had been slashed in a dozen places. Lying dead like that, you saw how young he was. A boy.  He found what was left of the sword a few feet away, the end splintered and twisted like a tree struck by lightning. Will knelt, looked around warily, and snatched it up. The broken sword would be his proof."

The Last Hero:

One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds –

Was the story twisted over time? Did the Last Hero's blade break because he crossed swords with an Other?

Tyrion, ADWD:

"Wherever whores go," his father had said. His last words, 

Actually...

Tyrion, ASOS:

"You . . . you are no . . . no son of mine."
"Now that's where you're wrong, Father. Why, I believe I'm you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch."

Those were Tywin's last words. Of course, Tyrion would ignore forget that... 

The torches on the back wall threw the long, barbed shadow of the Iron Throne halfway to the doors. The far end of the hall was lost in darkness, and Cersei could not but feel that the shadows were closing around her too. My enemies are everywhere, and my friends are useless. She had only to glance at her councillors to know that; only Lord Qyburn and Aurane Waters seemed awake. The others had been roused from bed by Margaery's messengers pounding on their doors, and stood there rumpled and confused. Outside the night was black and still. The castle and the city slept. Boros Blount and Meryn Trant seemed to be sleeping too, albeit on their feet. Even Osmund Kettleblack was yawning. Not Loras, though. Not our Knight of Flowers. He stood behind his little sister, a pale shadow with a longsword on his hip.

Qyburn and Aurane are in cahoots in some way.  Qyburn went to Aurane first when news of the Greyjoy attacks came.  Qyburn, as Master of Whispers, is playing the role of feeding information to Aurane as Varys did to Tyrion in ACoK and ASoS.  Perhaps Qyburn knows something that others don't?

Loras is possibly connected to this as well in some way, as he is also mentioned as being "awake."  Perhaps the beginning of Aurane planning/tricking Loras in whatever plot really happened on Dragonstone?

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

The torches on the back wall threw the long, barbed shadow of the Iron Throne halfway to the doors. The far end of the hall was lost in darkness, and Cersei could not but feel that the shadows were closing around her too. My enemies are everywhere, and my friends are useless. She had only to glance at her councillors to know that; only Lord Qyburn and Aurane Waters seemed awake. The others had been roused from bed by Margaery's messengers pounding on their doors, and stood there rumpled and confused. Outside the night was black and still. The castle and the city slept. Boros Blount and Meryn Trant seemed to be sleeping too, albeit on their feet. Even Osmund Kettleblack was yawning. Not Loras, though. Not our Knight of Flowers. He stood behind his little sister, a pale shadow with a longsword on his hip.

Qyburn and Aurane are in cahoots in some way.  Qyburn went to Aurane first when news of the Greyjoy attacks came.  Qyburn, as Master of Whispers, is playing the role of feeding information to Aurane as Varys did to Tyrion in ACoK and ASoS.  Perhaps Qyburn knows something that others don't?

Loras is possibly connected to this as well in some way, as he is also mentioned as being "awake."  Perhaps the beginning of Aurane planning/tricking Loras in whatever plot really happened on Dragonstone?

Why do you think Qyburn went to Aurane frist? Doesn't the passage suggest that it was Margaery who received news frist, and spread it through the castle?

4 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Why do you think Qyburn went to Aurane frist? Doesn't the passage suggest that it was Margaery WHO received news frist, and spread it through the castle?

By who was most awake.  Aurane (and yes, possibly Maergary in addition to Loras) learned of it first and discussed options before going to the meeting.

ETA: Now that I think about it, perhaps Qyburn or Aurane, or both, are more in cahoots with the Tyrells than Cersei realizes.

13 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

By who was most awake.  Aurane (and yes, possibly Maergary in addition to Loras) learned of it first and discussed options before going to the meeting.

ETA: Now that I think about it, perhaps Qyburn or Aurane, or both, are more in cahoots with the Tyrells than Cersei realizes.

But being awake doesn't necessarily mean those people were told first. Perhaps, they were not yet asleep. Isn't Qyburn still awake quite some time after this conversation ends, when Falyse arrives? Some time passes between her arrival and Qyburn being called, and before Falyse arrives, Cersei had already gone to bed again. 

Qyburn's power is directly connected to Cersei, and he should have every interest in being loyal to her. Aurane, though, is a completely different matter.

25 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If Jaime hadn't opened Aerys's throat, but had forced him to surrender, exacting a guarantee for the king's personal safety, he would have been remembered with honor, no? 

Maybe. But probably he wouldn't have saved King's Landing, since I can't see Aerys surrendering... he'd probably call for the other Kingsguard in the castle and have Jaime killed.

3 hours ago, The Egg said:

Maybe. But probably he wouldn't have saved King's Landing, since I can't see Aerys surrendering... he'd probably call for the other Kingsguard in the castle and have Jaime killed.

Jaime had already killed Rossart, and Tywin's bannermen were entering the throne room so Aerys and his wildfire plan were no longer a threat. 

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If Jaime hadn't opened Aerys's throat, but had forced him to surrender, exacting a guarantee for the king's personal safety, he would have been remembered with honor, no? 

I assume Jaime knew the Rebellion would kill Aerys.  After the death of Rossart, Jaime's choice were:

(1) Die defending Aerys.

(2) Stand aside when Tywin came, resulting in Aerys' death at a later point.

(3) Kill Aerys himself.

All involve the death of Aerys.  1 involves Jaime's death, which he's not willing to allow.  2 and 3 both result in dishonour in the eyes of the world.  3 is still the preferable choice, because at least it allows for personal pride - he can at least say "I took matters into my own hands, I didn't act out of fear, I killed a man who deserved death."

Killing Rossart to save King's Landing and then defending Aerys (resulting in the death of both Jaime and Aerys) would arguably have been the ideal action, but it's pretty hard to attack your own House in order to die defending a man who's dead either way and whom you've just had to stop from killing tens of thousands of people.  

2 hours ago, FuzzyJAM said:

I assume Jaime knew the Rebellion would kill Aerys.  After the death of Rossart, Jaime's choice were:

(1) Die defending Aerys.

(2) Stand aside when Tywin came, resulting in Aerys' death at a later point.

(3) Kill Aerys himself.

All involve the death of Aerys.  1 involves Jaime's death, which he's not willing to allow.  2 and 3 both result in dishonour in the eyes of the world.  3 is still the preferable choice, because at least it allows for personal pride - he can at least say "I took matters into my own hands, I didn't act out of fear, I killed a man who deserved death."

Killing Rossart to save King's Landing and then defending Aerys (resulting in the death of both Jaime and Aerys) would arguably have been the ideal action, but it's pretty hard to attack your own House in order to die defending a man who's dead either way and whom you've just had to stop from killing tens of thousands of people.  

He wouldna had to defend Aerys from judgment by Robert. All he had to do was stand there with Aerys on his knees, waiting for his father. Of course Eddard would have arrived and taken him into custody. At that point Jaime would have been relieved of his duty as kingsguard to Aerys, and Jaime would have defended his king's life. 

Archived