Fantasy Football 2015

Whiskeyjack

Thanks for chiming in Mudguard, and congratulations on getting into Experts. You are going to have to represent for me there next year as I sucked so bad this year I got booted out. 

Thanks again to everyone that played, and if Fuentes will PM me an address, I will send an Outlaw trophy to him. 

Maybe for the season though your team caught fire in the playoffs. I mean if FFL was fair, Bronn would've won the whole thing as the best team in that league. 

But Angry Doug Baldwin was determined that you win that league and he made it so. 

It's pretty wild how it took every healthy player on my roster to make this run and win. According to my calculations you left about 50 points on the bench while I left about 21. That's what I've seen through the playoffs, and it's less good team management on my part and more pure desperation. I had 4 bench players score 0 points. Only 2 bench players outscored their projection (only 3 scored more than 5 points and one of them's a QB). And only 2 players (including Bench and Starters) scored more than 18 points (both QB's).

So the way I won pretty much every game in the playoffs was I looked at the barren wasteland that was my roster, and then I just hoped that the healthy ones would deliver consistency. And they did :P

I gotta say, I made some bad moves during the draft but I got Carson Palmer, Doug Baldwin, Denver, and Kansas City for a combined $7.

Ya. That sounds fun. Are expert leagues different?

So Experts is built on the expanded rosters a bunch of Westeros leagues use (2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4WRs). The difference is Experts also uses 2 TEs and 2 Defenses. Basically an expanded expanded roster. Also auction draft. The goal has always been to try to reward skill in every facet possible instead of luck. 

Also bottom 3 teams in power rankings in any given year are subject to getting kicked out of the league unless they can win another league. 

It also has 10 years of history now. Dynasty might be older. But outside of that it's the longest running continuously run league on the board. Lot of history that makes for interesting benchmarking. It's a league all about being an active and engaged heck just to survive. 

So Experts is built on the expanded rosters a bunch of Westeros leagues use (2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4WRs). The difference is Experts also uses 2 TEs and 2 Defenses. Basically an expanded expanded roster. 

Also bottom 3 teams in power rankings in any given year are subject to getting kicked out of the league unless they can win another league. 

It also has 10 years of history now. Dynasty might be older. But outside of that it's the longest running continuously run league on the board. Lot of history that makes for interesting benchmarking. It's a league all about being an active and engaged heck just to survive. 

Thanks. TE! Lol, you people are crazy, I love it! 

Hell yeah, sounds fun. Looking forward to next year

So Experts is built on the expanded rosters a bunch of Westeros leagues use (2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4WRs). The difference is Experts also uses 2 TEs and 2 Defenses. Basically an expanded expanded roster. Also auction draft. The goal has always been to try to reward skill in every facet possible instead of luck. 

except this year luck was rewarded, dammit :P

Thanks. TE! Lol, you people are crazy, I love it! 

Hell yeah, sounds fun. Looking forward to next year

Excellent. :P 

except this year luck was rewarded, dammit :P

Yours was the best team Mya, 89-44 power ranking at season's end. Can't deny that. 

But mine wasn't chopped liver either. 86-50. WJ was right there too - 84-49.  When it's that close it's just a question of how the scores break. And finally the end of season broke Riverrun's way instead of against it. I feel your pain. In this league especially, I've had some monster teams go down due to one mediocre week at the wrong time. I swear, FFL is the cruelest game we play. 

I gotta say, I made some bad moves during the draft but I got Carson Palmer, Doug Baldwin, Denver, and Kansas City for a combined $7.

See, I think that's what it's all about. There's roster moves made in week 9, week 10 that decide FFL championships each year. Last year it was OBJ and CJA. This year it's Doug Baldwin and David Johnson. 

Next year it'll be Johnny Football and Ray Rice. I think now, more than ever, FFL rewards waiver wire hawks. 

Excellent. :P 

Yours was the best team Mya, 89-44 power ranking at season's end. Can't deny that. 

But mine wasn't chopped liver either. 86-50. WJ was right there too - 84-49.  When it's that close it's just a question of how the scores break. And finally the end of season broke Riverrun's way instead of against it. I feel your pain. In this league especially, I've had some monster teams go down due to one mediocre week at the wrong time. I swear, FFL is the cruelest game we play. 

See, I think that's what it's all about. There's roster moves made in week 9, week 10 that decide FFL championships each year. Last year it was OBJ and CJA. This year it's Doug Baldwin and David Johnson. 

Next year it'll be Johnny Football and Ray Rice. I think now, more than ever, FFL rewards waiver wire hawks. 

Aww, no, I totally know. I was just teasing. The funny thing to me about FFL is how the record doesn't always reflect the team, but power rankings definitely do. 

Congrats to all of the league winners.  This is the final tally I have, for all of the leagues.

Experts - Jaime

Westeros A - Week

Westeros B - Hugor

Westeros C - Jace

Thunderdome - Whiskeyjack

Open - Mudguard

Outlaw - Fuentez

Dynasty - RaceBannon

Survivor - Boiled Leather

So a few ideas I'd like to suggest for next year.

Option 1

Stick with the point system, but do a better job coming up with something official.  Feel like there is some disappointment this year, based on nobody ever finalizing the rules. 

If we go this route, I'll probably drop the invite-only element to Westeros A, and just run 3 expanded roster leagues. 

Option 2

Change our system to something like the Premier League.  Would shake things up, and get rid of situations like what we saw this year. 

Could maybe have 3-4 leagues in a ladder system, with Experts (or whatever you want to call it) on top.  At the end of the year, the bottom 3 teams (in terms of power rankings, out of the non-playoff team) would drop down a level.  Top 3 teams (champions, 2nd place, and 3rd place in the playoffs) from the level below would jump up.

Initial distribution could be based on this year's results.  People in Experts would stay there.  For everyone else who wants to play, use a point system with 10 for 1st in a league, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd, 7 for 4th, etc.  Use each player's top 2 results.  New players start on the bottom.

All of the leagues in the ladder system would use the Experts format.

We'd also still have other leagues.  I know that I'd still want to play in 4-6 leagues, so I'd still be in for Thunderdome and would run other leagues on the board.  But they'd be outside of the new system for Experts. 

On the positive side, I think this could be a fun change to a system that has grown kind of stale. 

On the negative side, I do worry a bit about our ability to fill up leagues outside of the ladder system.  People who just play in one league would probably want to be a part of the bigger battle, so it could hurt interest in other leagues and make it difficult for those of us who like to play in a bunch of leagues each year.

Also, 2nd and 3rd place end up being just as good as 1st place in the leagues below Experts.  Takes a bit of the fun out of the playoffs for those particular leagues.

But I'm curious to hear what other people think.

I really like the Premier League idea. I'm down for a shakeup. I think we definitely have the players to fill up 3 leagues worth for sure. 

Oh, I see what you mean about other leagues. I'm still in for Thunderdome and maybe one more. But I see what you mean. Hmm. 

Option 1

Stick with the point system, but do a better job coming up with something official.  Feel like there is some disappointment this year, based on nobody ever finalizing the rules. 

If we go this route, I'll probably drop the invite-only element to Westeros A, and just run 3 expanded roster leagues. 

Option 2

Change our system to something like the Premier League.  Would shake things up, and get rid of situations like what we saw this year. 

Could maybe have 3-4 leagues in a ladder system, with Experts (or whatever you want to call it) on top.  At the end of the year, the bottom 3 teams (in terms of power rankings, out of the non-playoff team) would drop down a level.  Top 3 teams (champions, 2nd place, and 3rd place in the playoffs) from the level below would jump up.

Initial distribution could be based on this year's results.  People in Experts would stay there.  For everyone else who wants to play, use a point system with 10 for 1st in a league, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd, 7 for 4th, etc.  Use each player's top 2 results.  New players start on the bottom.

We'd also still have other leagues.  I know that I'd still want to play in 4-6 leagues, so I'd still be in for Thunderdome and would run other leagues on the board.  But they'd be outside of the new system for Experts. 

On the positive side, I think this could be a fun change to a system that has grown kind of stale. 

On the negative side, I do worry a bit about our ability to fill up leagues outside of the ladder system.  People who just play in one league would probably want to be a part of the bigger battle, so it could hurt interest in other leagues and make it difficult for those of us who like to play in a bunch of leagues each year.

Also, 2nd and 3rd place end up being just as good as 1st place in the leagues below Experts.  Takes a bit of the fun out of the playoffs for those particular leagues.

I also think Option 2 could be really fun if we can get enough buy-in. Really would up the stakes of leagues and make them truly interconnected.

To even start to get it off the ground there'd need to be at least 10 people not in Experts to form a league that would become the specific Experts feeder league. Could be based on points as you mention but there has to be that interest. If that can get formed, then can see if we can get a third league that would feed into that. 

Please don't go back and look up how much I ended up paying for Teddy Bridgewater.

Option 1

Option 2

If you go route 2, I think rather than 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in a playoff format, we should promote based on total season long scoring and playoff champion.  Plus a third spot that would I suggest be second in overall season long scoring.  That's a better measure overall, I think, but it's still fun to have a 5th or 6th place team have something to play for too.

I personally think that Experts should be the only top league, and that a primary feeder league into it isn't the best way to get into it. I personally want to see more diversity in Fantasy Football here, and having multiple leagues using the exact same format just seems to be redundant. I do think that evaluating the point system to get into Experts should be evaluated though. 

It would also be nice to have a consistent start date for all of the open leagues to be available to sign up for. I am proposing that registration for leagues next year be from Aug 1st to the 15th and rosters and draft dates are finalized on the 15th for all of the top open leagues. Leagues like Thunderdome, Survivor, and Dynasty can finalize later. 

I like the Premiere League style option as well.  But I'd question having all feeder leagues being the exact same format.  If we're going to call it an Expert League, it should be the hardest style of play. One should have to conquer other formats to get into the big dance. 

Having a "recruitment" drive and established times for signing up for leagues is also a good idea. 

One of the things that leans me toward the point system is its scalability and flexibility.  As many leagues as get filled can easily count toward Experts.  That way anyone who feels excluded can just start their own league and if it fills and if it gains respect by attracting known good players, it can go up in value.  A first year league won't (and shouldn't) count as much as an established one, but both should count something.  And even an oddball stepchild like Survivor can at least break a tie or be a last-ditch before not having a winner at all.

Frankly, if anyone pays hyper-attention to Bronn (why?) they might have noticed I use my "main" team name (Harlaw Krakens) not for Experts but for the league I think is the toughest and best - Westeros A.  Everyone in that league has shown over time that they are forces to be reckoned with. I would hate to see it become just another WJ league.  I can't say for 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that if an opening were to occur in that one it would be filled by WJ by someone who has shown that they are both active AND successful.  But it is such a good one that changes seldom happen.

Archived