Whats beyond the Lonely Light

Ser Danyel Mortimer

Never understood what people find so appealing about Valhalla. Imho it's one of worst afterlives in any mythology. I'd rather chill in the Asphodel Meadows than spend an eternity with loud, aggressive and drunken warriors eating disgusting greasy food, let alone being forced to fight every day...no...no... -_-

Never understood what people find so appealing about Valhalla. Imho it's one of worst afterlives in any mythology. I'd rather chill in the Asphodel Meadows than spend an eternity with loud, aggressive and drunken warriors eating disgusting greasy food, let alone being forced to fight every day...no...no... -_-

I suspect it's more appealing if you're a loud, aggressive, drunken, greasy warrior type...

But I think Terry Jones got that idea across pretty nicely in the clip Damp Hair gave us. The Asgardians are spoiled children, the slain warriors seem bored (but what else are you going to do, being dead and all), and the special effects are terrible.

curious given the irregular seasons

The irregular seasons aren't normal seasons. GRRM has confirmed that the cause of the long seasons is definitely magical, and implied that the cause will be revealed over the course of the series. They call it "winter" because temperatures get colder and days get shorter, not because it's caused by the precession of the axial tilt over the course of an orbit causing the sun to be lower in the sky.

No Vahalla idn't all that appealing

Never understood what people find so appealing about Valhalla. 

Mediocre!

You are not awaited.

Witness me Bloodbag!  Witness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAWpKFtbjo

I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-FMvt83fA

I take it as a compliment they wouldn't want me

Man same here, I wouldn't fight for the Aesir, they are jerkasses. If the Nordic gods turn out to be the real deal I'll happily take my seat in Hela's hall. At least you don't have to fight there and the overall atmosphere gotta be much more chill. 

the thing a lot of people forget is that originally the gods dying and us succeeding them was seen as a good thing, it was only later christian writers who wrote the gods as actual good guys.

I think the Jews and the Zoroastrians got there first. Well, God was only a good guy to them, kind of a bastard to everyone else, but I don't think they minded that.

yes but he was a good guy.

The Pharaoh might disagree. He was going to let the Jews go, but then God "hardened his heart" and forced him to keep them enslaved, and then punished him and his people for it. That doesn't sound like a good guy to me--even from the perspective of the Jews, much less the Egyptians. He even tells Moses and Aaron that he was just doing it to show off how strong his hand and outstretched arm are. And the people of Jericho and the other cities of Canaan might disagree as well; for the crime of settling the lands God gave them, they were exterminated (except for one prostitute collaborator) because God changed his mind and decided he wanted to re-let their homes to another tenant.

Unless we're talking about Ahura Mazda. At least he can justify killing millions of people and sending them to hell, because the alternative was to let Ahriman win, in which case all men and spirits would be damned. But you'd think he could tell the enemies they were on the wrong side so they'd at least have the option of switching, for strategic reasons if not moral ones.

But at least they're both against burning people alive in sacrifice, unlike the good guy in ASoIaF, so I guess they get some points. :)

May you not ride eternal, shiny and chrome.  

*(get on my lvl w/ the MadMax references guys)

Actually since we are all living in the eye of a blue-eyed giant I suppose what's past the Lonely Light is just, like, a big eyelid or something.

you mean there are good guys in Westeros, I was never particularly under that impression

You'd be surprised how many readers seem to believe Mel that the Others are evil followers of the Great Other and R'hllor is the savior of mankind. (Because when has Mel ever been wrong, or deceptive, about anything?)

You'd be surprised how many readers seem to believe Mel that the Others are evil followers of the Great Other and R'hllor is the savior of mankind. (Because when has Mel ever been wrong, or deceptive, about anything?)

I still find it suspicious that she never talks about what followers of R'hllor believe happens after death...I mean in most religions, particularly missionary ones that seek to convert people, that's a big factor. So why the hell is Mel so quiet about it?

Archived