GoT cast Ian McShane for season 6! Who you got?

Ser Falione

I'm going to go out on a limb...but if I had to pick a character who has not been listed on the casting sheets yet I, I would go with

Rodrik Harlaw....The mfing :read: er

I imagine the story telling would go smoother as it will allow expository dialogue between Ashayara/Rodrik and Euron/Rodrik that will explain backstory and character motive.  Also, GRRM wrote some pretty funny dialogue that should be an easy copy and paste job into the script.  Maybe Episodes 2 and 3 for the Kingsmoot and Ashayara fleeing.  And then some later episodes for the invasion of the Reach.

+ he even has a bushy mustache in some of the fan art

YMMV

McShane is an awesome actor. Yes, he wasn't in a popular TV show like Hannibal and he wasn't in Lord of the Rings or some horrible Disney movie. He's an actor! A REAL actor, thank god. Now if only Mads Mikkelsen WILL NOT be in this series then it still has a chance to be a compelling show instead of a cartoonish fantasy.

Euron!? lol that would suck! I don't care how much of a good actor people here say that he is, HE DOESN'T LOOK THE PART.

Although Euron is a fully grown man, he looks relatively young for his age, he's also described as lean and handsome. This guy, with all due respect, looks nothing like GRRM's (or anyone else's) portrayal of Euron. Honestly, he looks more like Al Pacino and Ron Jeremy's lovechild. 

I think the obvious role for him is Randyll Tarly, because we already know we'll be seeing him next season.

Thank GOD! If the show followed the books then it would have NO artistic presence at all and the actor would be, sheep.

I'd be SOOOOO happy if Mads Mikkelsen wasn't on this show. He is not a bad actor but he is a flavor of the week. HBO has put on some of the best acting in film or TV since 96' with shows like Oz, The Wire, The Sopranos, Rome, Carnivale. All of them had great acting and it's so refreshing to see some of these alumni who were AMAZING in these shows get these parts over these flavors of the weeks that so many people call for just because GRRM wrote them that way. <---------- THAT is insulting to the medium, and all those shows are equally if not better shows and more important to the medium of TV/Film than GRRM's series is to the medium of books.

And GoT almost never calls roles 'small,' since it did in this case, I think he's only in one scene, a la Mark Gatiss, or maybe two scenes. I think he's going to be Lord Umber and he'll have one scene with either Jon or Sansa, reaffirming his support of the Starks.

He is way too tiny for an UMber.

Okay so the best proposals I've seen are

1. Euron Greyjoy.  If they bring him in at the end of the season that's small for this season but huge for the next.

2. Randall Tarly.  Doesn't fit the physical description but he could definitely manage to convey Tarly in all his jerk-ness.

3. Aeron or Victarion.  While that would make Aeron way more interesting, I think he'd be an awesome Vic.

4. one of the ToJ knights.  I would actually say Whent, but I suppose he could be the White Bull.

5. Marwyn.  Very cool.

There are a couple other roles that were listed in the casting calls.  They were looking for a fighter of potentially mixed ancestry.  They were also looking for a priest of some kind that could be Elder Brother or a composite character.  He could play either of those.

Yes, he could technically play Howland Reed, and would be awesome at it, but McShane is 5' 9" and HR is supposed to be pretty short.  I don't think two inches below average (granted that's the American average) is really all that short.

I'm going to go out on a limb...but if I had to pick a character who has not been listed on the casting sheets yet I, I would go with

Rodrik Harlaw....The mfing :read: er

I imagine the story telling would go smoother as it will allow expository dialogue between Ashayara/Rodrik and Euron/Rodrik that will explain backstory and character motive.  Also, GRRM wrote some pretty funny dialogue that should be an easy copy and paste job into the script.  Maybe Episodes 2 and 3 for the Kingsmoot and Ashayara fleeing.  And then some later episodes for the invasion of the Reach.

+ he even has a bushy mustache in some of the fan art

YMMV

I already love The Reader.  This would only serve to make him seem more epic.  Great suggestion!

I would also like to throw out a totally crackpot suggestion of Strong Belwas because he never should have been left out in the first place.  Yeah, it's wishful thinking but it would be awesome to see someone like McShane's take on the character.

First off, camera angles, people. Tom Cruise is 5'7, but he always looks about twice that size in his movies. It's really not that complicated. Besides, the man (Ian McShane, not Tom Cruise) knows how to project a physical menace like few others.

Second of all, the second he joined the cast, Ian McShane became the best actor on this show. Al Swearengen would be running Westeros in about two seconds flat. Watch Deadwood. It's got a cast full of actors that would blow GoT away (Timothy Olyphant, Kim Dickens, Brad Dourif, William Sanderson, Robin Weigert, Dayton Callie, John Hawkes, Paula Malcolmson), and McShane stands above them all. I mean, like I said, no matter what role he plays, I'll totally be expecting Dan and Johnny to bust in any second, but the list of people who can do "imposing" better than Ian is very, very, very short.

McShane is an awesome actor. Yes, he wasn't in a popular TV show like Hannibal and he wasn't in Lord of the Rings or some horrible Disney movie. He's an actor! A REAL actor, thank god. Now if only Mads Mikkelsen WILL NOT be in this series then it still has a chance to be a compelling show instead of a cartoonish fantasy.

Ian McShane has been in at least two Disney movies:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Kung Fu Panda (DreamWorks is owned by Disney)

For those of you who think he's "too tiny" (not trying to pick on you, SmallJon) or incapable of playing an imposing bad-ass, LOOK HERE and keep in mind that the other actor (Jeffrey Jones, who you might recognize from Ferris Bueller's Day Off) is about 6'4, 250. This also doubles as pretty much the greatest advice on life, ever. And pretty much the greatest TV scene, ever.

Ian McShane has been in at least two Disney movies:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Kung Fu Panda (DreamWorks is owned by Disney)

He was also in the wretchedness that was "Snow White and the Huntsmen". Like Groucho says, they can't all be good.

Those of you hating on him are crazy. He is a VERY talented actor.

You should watch 'Kings'

underrated show and McShane at his finest.

I loved him as Bishop Waleran in PILLARS OF THE EARTH, though in the books I'd pictured Alan Rickman. But Ian did a damn good job and won me over. 

Archived