What's up with Rickon?

So far he seems to be a pointless character, with now foreshadowing as to what he may accomplish. I'm sure after going off with Osha he'll learn how to fight and survive, which would be good, having a new strong male Stark. I was confused though as to why he went with her. Ya, someone finding Rickon and Bran together would be bad, but they sent them off without really a say as to where theyll go, just "kingsroad". If I were Bran, or Meera, or Jojo(however you say it) i would send them specifically to Greywater; Im sure the Reeds could tell Osha how to find it.

To get to Greywater Watch you have to pass through Moat Cailin (which is held by the Iron Born).

Maester Luwin gave Osha a couple of possible destinations (houses that were loyal to the Starks and locations not controlled by the Iron Born). When she went back and gave him the gift without the rest of them around, I suspect he told her a specific destination and a simple series of directions. Remember that at this point Rickon is four and that Osha is wildling, unfamiliar with geography and politics of the North, so she would likely heed advice and follow directions given by Maester Luwin.

Like Bran, and to some extent Jon and Arya, he seems to have some clairvoyant powers (he dreamed of Ned in the crypts, he knew that neither his mother nor Robb would return to Winterfell), but it's never been acknowledged or guided.  (Why did Jojen ignore Rickon like this?) 

He was a very lost and angry little boy the last time we saw him with a  direwolf who was fierce and out of control. They're both still alive (according to Jon/Ghost) but I think if he comes back, it will be as a vengeful destructive force.

• 3 months later...

So far he seems to be a pointless character, with now foreshadowing as to what he may accomplish. I'm sure after going off with Osha he'll learn how to fight and survive, which would be good, having a new strong male Stark. 

You seem to have been lost on the potential of Rickon Stark.

He is a stark not sworn to a celibate and life lasting oath and is not a cripple something the northerners  will respect take for example the harvest festival the lords weren't exactly respecting bran.

Rickon is a powerful warg and a green-seer mainly because of the green-dreams and he's way younger which could mean he's more powerful. Not to mention the direwolf incident with Tyrion ,Rickon possibly influencing all the direwolfs

Rickon is a complete and utter badass he lived in the crypts and no one took care of him frankly i'm surprised he didn't starve.

Bran in fact when thinking about Rickon says he was like a Winter-storm Something that reminds me of the classic starks.. hard and ruthless.

He fought off a brunch of people in winterfell crypts with a rusted dull iron sword and he was 3 !! pretty impressive.

Rickon attacks luwin and frankly doesn't give a fuck and tells luwin he released his direwolf and licks his fingers with luwin's blood in front of him. 

He is a stark male and trueborn.

If he is on skaggos then he has the loyalties of a fresh army of ferocious fighters equipped with obsidian blades useful against white-walkers.

Plus he's raised by a wildling teaching him free-folk culture which will be extremely useful in the integration of the free-folk in the north.

Not to mention but maybe Rickon has the horn of winter when you consider that he explored the crypts thoroughly in AGOT. That would be hilarious that Rickon had it the entire time. 

Hopefully i managed to convince you on Rickon's case.

He is a stark not sworn to a celibate and life lasting oath and is not a cripple something the northerners  will respect take for example the harvest festival the lords weren't exactly respecting bran.

Rickon is a powerful warg and a green-seer mainly because of the green-dreams and he's way younger which could mean he's more powerful. Not to mention the direwolf incident with Tyrion ,Rickon possibly influencing all the direwolfs

Rickon is a complete and utter badass he lived in the crypts and no one took care of him frankly i'm surprised he didn't starve.

Bran in fact when thinking about Rickon says he was like a Winter-storm Something that reminds me of the classic starks.. hard and ruthless.

He fought off a brunch of people in winterfell crypts with a rusted dull iron sword and he was 3 !! pretty impressive.

Rickon attacks luwin and frankly doesn't give a fuck and tells luwin he released his direwolf and licks his fingers with luwin's blood in front of him. 

If he is on skaggos then he has the loyalties of a fresh army of ferocious fighters equipped with obsidian blades useful against white-walkers.

Plus he's raised by a wildling teaching him free-folk culture which will be extremely useful in the integration of the free-folk in the north.

Not to mention but maybe Rickon has the horn of winter when you consider that he explored the crypts thoroughly in AGOT. That would be hilarious that Rickon had it the entire time. 

God, thats crazy, but great post :)

some of those theories might be true, and I believe that Starks are not dead as lot of people says, and that is cuz of Bran and Rickon.

OTOH his age is a problem , in the time of a new book he will be still only like 6 or 7 years old so with that age you hardly have any influence (esp with older brother alive)

There's a theory that he's irrelevant to the story. His direwolf is named Shaggydog, supposedly a reference to a shaggy dog story, which is a long story that never goes anywhere.

I don't quite buy it, but the wolf's name is intriguing. 

Very interesting! But I still doubt that any chracter is pointless for Martin :) :) 

There's a theory that he's irrelevant to the story. His direwolf is named Shaggydog, supposedly a reference to a shaggy dog story, which is a long story that never goes anywhere.

I don't quite buy it, but the wolf's name is intriguing. 

I've read that somewhere already and I think it makes a lot of sense. It's just the thing GRRM would to, like a big middle finger to the readers. He knows that people get all invested in the story and just wants to remind them that life isn't a great underdog story where hero emerges from nowhere to save the world. I can just see the storyline already for Rickon: at some point he's gonna reemerge halfhidden somewhere on the other side of the world (probably from the perspective of another character because Rickon is in my opinion too young for a POV chapter) and there's gonna be a really optimistic plot twist only to have him killed in some really unheroic way. I mean, he is both a young child, easy to dispose of, and because of his birth a threat to all the enemys of the Starks; why not kill him off?

Convinced

Archived